Author Topic: Idaho repeals its regulatory code  (Read 1165 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Idaho repeals its regulatory code
« on: May 16, 2019, 02:46:58 PM »
https://www.mercatus.org/bridge/commentary/idaho-repeals-its-regulatory-code

Something rather remarkable just happened in Idaho. The state legislature opted to—in essence—repeal the entire state regulatory code. The cause may have been dysfunction across legislative chambers, but the result is serendipitous. A new governor is presented with an unprecedented opportunity to repeal an outdated and burdensome regulatory code and replace it with a more streamlined and sensible set of rules. Other states should be paying close attention.

The situation came about due to the somewhat unconventional nature of Idaho’s regulatory process. Each year, the state’s entire existing body of regulations expires unless reauthorized for an additional year by the legislature. In most years, reauthorization happens smoothly, but not this year.

Instead, the legislature wrapped up an acrimonious session in April without passing a rule-reauthorization bill. As a result, come July 1, some 8,200 pages of regulations containing 736 chapters of state rules will expire. Any rules the governor opts to keep will have to be implemented as emergency regulations, and the legislature will consider them anew when it returns next January.

The situation certainly has potential to cut a lot of red tape from Idaho's regulations.  It remains to be seen if the parties involved will take appropriate advantage of the opportunity.  ID doesn't have a lot of overly burdensome regulations compared to most states, but every bit helps.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Idaho repeals its regulatory code
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 02:55:40 PM »
I've been half-joking for decades about every law needing an expiration date.  That way, they'll be so busy re-enacting good laws, that they won't have time to pass lousy ones.

But I've been recommending five years, not one.

I've also recommended having to repeal at least one law in order to pass another one and having the legislative sessions last only two weeks, and only every other year.  Texas comes close to that ideal, I guess.

Terry, 230RN

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 03:49:47 PM »

I've also recommended having to repeal at least one law in order to pass another one

Terry, 230RN

The new Idaho Governor passed that too just a while ago. I think it's "kill two regs for every one new reg". It might be three, I forgot. Anyways, I moved to the right state.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 03:57:07 PM »
The new Idaho Governor passed that too just a while ago. I think it's "kill two regs for every one new reg". It might be three, I forgot. Anyways, I moved to the right state.  =D
They're going to go negative now that they have no regs.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 04:44:33 PM »
So weed is legal in ID, same with no drinking age?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 04:55:39 PM »
I'm guessing this does not apply to criminal code.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »
[Ben heads into his shop and starts going all Mad Max on his truck...]

[popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 05:41:36 PM »

The Governor said, "over my dead body".

They actually have to do something to relax the current regs. There's a big to do at the capitol right now over them confiscating some truck heading from CO to OR and arresting the driver because it was full of hemp. It was from one of those medicinal companies or whatever. Apparently there was just enough THC in it for the state cops to do that, and ID is backing them up. I don't like pot, but to me, that's dangerously close to interfering with interstate commerce. I mean, what if some gun company was taking a load of 30 round mags from AZ to ID and cut through CA for some reason, and CA impounded the vehicle and arrested the driver?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."