Author Topic: Marvel: Capt Mavel is woke. DC: Hold my beer  (Read 1641 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Marvel: Capt Mavel is woke. DC: Hold my beer
« on: May 17, 2019, 05:24:22 PM »
An obvious reference to the Trump White House and men making promises about security they can't keep: Check
A man (Batman) abandoned us: Check
She's Lesbian: Check
Was kicked out of the mean old Mil for being lesbian: Check
Alfred is Black: Check
She has a thing with "roles": Check
The Bat suit is perfection when it fits a woman: Check
A woman is the hero we need: Check
Can beat up a room full of men with her bare hands without breaking out in sweat: Check
She's not letting a man take credit for a woman's work: Check

Batwoman | First Look Trailer | The CW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrIiPcv4_iY

In the comments
I wanted Batwoman, what I got was military Rachel Maddow in rubber
:rofl:

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Marvel: Capt Mavel is woke. DC: Hold my beer
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 06:10:11 PM »
It's CW network. Having some form of tacit social commentary and at least two overtly LGBT characters in the Hero Group is part of their formula.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 06:13:22 PM »
Doesn't want a man to take credit for a woman's work -Steals a man's lifetime work

And yeah, in the CW universe, the world population is 90% gay, 10% straight.

The Rachel Maddow quote is hilarious.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 07:05:53 PM »
An obvious reference to the Trump White House and men making promises about security they can't keep: Check
Can beat up a room full of men with her bare hands without breaking out in sweat: Check

In the comments :rofl:

So the help is black?

Can someone explain to me how woke you have to be to not see the issue with that?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 11:28:08 PM »
I always thought Batman taking out entire groups of bad guys without guns or blades was unrealistic.  At least they could talk about some strength enhancing tech to make it more plausible no matter who was in the suit.  I guess we will see how they play it.  I am sure I will see it eventually.

They do seem to be putting on the “woman power” stuff a bit thick.  
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:55:52 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 11:54:12 PM »
Another part that shows up near the beginning is all the people in that city are sitting around waiting on "superheroes" to save them.  Everyone is powerless.  It would be a more efficient use of money to get concealed carry passed and buy every law abiding person in the city a gun.  I guess it is because guns are not very effective in Hollywood.

And the bad guys seem to have an endless supply of sadistic thugs who do whatever they tell them without seeming to care that their boss will likely abandon them or kill them at some point. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 11:58:34 PM »
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8712204/
I guess I didn't catch that this was a TV series.  I would blame my reading comprehension if I had bothered to read the youtube information. 

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 05:56:17 AM »
So the help is black?
Can someone explain to me how woke you have to be to not see the issue with that?

Oh, that's OK as long as the servitude is for somebody who has more letters or syllables in their identification (i.e. LGBTetc. or Democrat).
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 07:03:33 AM »
I think comic-book Batman used guns once or twice.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 08:26:33 AM »
Remember the old ad campaign from NBC which was centered around the phrase "Must See TV" ?

This looks like another program in the "Must Flee TV" category.

The CW in particular seems to be centered around working their version of social justice and political correctness into every possible script, making potentially watchable fare into something . . . less.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 11:45:09 AM »
I think comic-book Batman used guns once or twice.

The first couple issues he did and he was supposed to be more like the Punisher than what he evolved into. His whole thing was that he was supposed to be super scary and make criminals *expletive deleted*it themselves when he arrived. The Bale Batman is probably the closest movie Batman to the original vision of the character.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 09:35:43 PM »

In the comments :rofl:

She didn't get kicked just for being gay, she was actively screwing her squadmates on base. Even the Marines don't allow that behavior  :lol:
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 11:02:32 PM »
The first couple issues he did and he was supposed to be more like the Punisher than what he evolved into. His whole thing was that he was supposed to be super scary and make criminals *expletive deleted*it themselves when he arrived. The Bale Batman is probably the closest movie Batman to the original vision of the character.

???

Are you a comic book collector? I was reading Batman comics in the early 1950s, which I'm pretty sure was a few decades before you were born, and even those weren't anywhere near the first couple of issues. He got his own comic book in 1940.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 11:20:14 AM »
???

Are you a comic book collector? I was reading Batman comics in the early 1950s, which I'm pretty sure was a few decades before you were born, and even those weren't anywhere near the first couple of issues. He got his own comic book in 1940.

Dad was a comic book nerd. I never really got much into comic books themselves, but I grew up with all the characters because he liked to talk about them. I did read some of the tattered books that survived his childhood and made it to the trailer (Like the original Sargent Fury books) Most of those are gone now. However, I still have many actual books about comic books that were his (and many that I read or at least skimmed while growing up) including one I bought him while he was in the hospital (The Ultimate Marvel Encyclopedia) because he loved reading about comic books too.
Hell, I have the 45 for the Merry Marvel Marching Society sitting on my printer right now. His membership card is the box with pictures and other paper memento's.

There are a few subjects that I know very well despite the fact that I'm not old enough to have actually participated because of him. The history of comic books is one of them.

Anyway, there are several interviews with Bob Kane that discuss the origins of Batman. You can find them on Youtube.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 12:24:40 PM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama