Author Topic: CNN ventures out beyond the beltway and the bouroughs and discovers....  (Read 2112 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019/05/business/aldi-walmart-low-food-prices/index.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

CNN crawls out from the shadow of the NYC Skyscrapers and finds that even rich people shop at Aldi.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
That was a really interesting article, and I wonder if Aldi or Lidl will make it to the PNW in my lifetime.  We were one of the last regions in the country to get WalMart, for example.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
"CNN crawls slithers out from the shadow of the NYC Skyscrapers..."

+✓

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Any more, I prefer shopping at our local Aldi.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Nonsense. Everyone knows that between Enlightened NYC and Magic Dust Land LA there's only a waste land populated only by uneducated Neanderthals controlled by the Russians.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
Any more, I prefer shopping at our local Aldi.

I do almost all my shopping at Aldi.  They are far cheaper than anyplace else, and I can get in and out quickly.  I if I need something they don't have, I'll usually get that at HyVee plus whatever loss leaders HyVee has that week.  Walmart is a distant 3rd, but I shop there every once in a while.
"It's good, though..."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Explain to us benighted flyovers what "Aldi" is, please.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Regolith

• friend

German Walmart
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon

Cut rate grocery with mostly weird house brands.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
German Walmart

I disagree.

I'll shop at Walmart Supercenters. My late wife and I tried an Aldi's once. We both agreed that the place was depressing beyond belief. Never again.

It's more like Dollar General than it is like Walmart.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
I disagree.

I'll shop at Walmart Supercenters. My late wife and I tried an Aldi's once. We both agreed that the place was depressing beyond belief. Never again.

It's more like Dollar General than it is like Walmart.

Pretty much every facial expression at https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019/05/business/aldi-walmart-low-food-prices/index.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab is one of recently sucking lemons.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim

Aldi first came to Iowa in 1976, so I am familiar with Aldi in my memory. I have seen Aldi change from a sketchy no frills discount grocery to a no frills Trader Joes kind of place. I buy my cheese, frozen seafood, crackers, snacks, and simple produce from there. Sometimes wine and beer. Crazy thing now, is I buy my eggs, milk and bananas from a gas station.

In college I bought all my groceries from Aldi, always a case of ramen and case of soup.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I have seen Aldi change from a sketchy no frills discount grocery to a no frills Trader Joes kind of place.

Same here, almost. I wouldn't say it's much like Trader Joe's, but Aldi has definitely improved from what they used to be in the 80s. They really were depressing in those days.

My wife has shopped for groceries at just about every kind of place, and Aldi is her favorite. If she needs something like duck fat, or crème fraîche, or turnips, she probably has to go elsewhere, but they actually have a lot of good stuff these days. Especially the Christmas cookies.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019/05/business/aldi-walmart-low-food-prices/index.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

CNN crawls out from the shadow of the NYC Skyscrapers and finds that even rich people shop at Aldi.

Surrounded by old money farms all over the area.  Not uncommon to see Land Rovers used as farm trucks, and see them roll into wal mart, with old white women wearing riding pants out shopping for staples. 

That kind of *expletive deleted*it is why CNN isn't even clearing a million viewers.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Two Aldis near me. The first one in its original location was sort of shabby. It moved and was much nicer but still had a discount feel. Recently they did a remodel and it doesn’t have that dollar store vibe at all anymore.

The second is brand new. Very nice store and it is my “go to” Aldi as it’s more convenient.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I wish there was one near me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Aldi is our main grocery store any more. Most of their house brands are better than name brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Aldi has gone more Whole Foods then Trader Joe's, while still being everyone on price.   No more artificial ingredients or colorings. Everything is organic and natural.  Prices are still rock bottom, but quality is improved. 

The stores have been updated and upgraded so they are not dull, but brighter and colorful.   Selection, while still limited, has expanded beyond the 150+/- from a few years ago when cashiers had to memorize the prices of each item, to 1500 since they installed bar code readers.

I generally shop Aldi for the staples, and fill in from Mariano's ingredients they don't carry.

Hawkmoon, I would suggest maybe going back and checking out the "new" Aldi, and a lot has changed in the past 5 years with them.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
We start at Aldi's first and buy everything that we can on our list.  We then go to a Kroger down the way from us, to finish out the list.  This works very well.  There are occasional things that are "Finds" that we don't like but they are few and far between.

I also second Amy's suggestion for Hawkmoon.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

brimic

• friends
I like Aldi's for their Naan bread (we use it for home made pizza) and imitation girl scout cookies.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator
I like that I can get Kerry Gold butter (gold foil pack) for a decent price.  {Winking at Ben}
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I like that I can get Kerry Gold butter (gold foil pack) for a decent price.  {Winking at Ben}

Lucky for me it's a Costco item ever since you got me hooked on it ya bastard.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Lucky for me it's a Costco item ever since you got me hooked on it ya bastard.  =D

Our local Wal-Mart carries it now.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TechMan

• Administrator
Lucky for me it's a Costco item ever since you got me hooked on it ya bastard.  =D

Didn't know what you were missing in life.  You are welcome.   =D  That and the fresh baked "artisan" bread.  Man, I need make some this fall.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Didn't know what you were missing in life.  You are welcome.   =D  That and the fresh baked "artisan" bread.  Man, I need make some this fall.

I was making the bread pretty regularly before I moved, but haven't had a chance to here yet. I need to bake some so I can calibrate it to the oven here. Finally on gas again so I have to get used to it! :)