Author Topic: Misleading headlines  (Read 928 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Misleading headlines
« on: May 19, 2019, 07:59:58 PM »
I think this belongs in Polyticks, because GUNZ! always seem to be a political topic. Here's a headline I stumbled across that led me to expect an article about breaking up a gun-running operation, with hundreds or thousands of "assault weapons" being seized.

Wrong.

https://www.nhregister.com/news/crime/article/50-arrested-guns-and-drugs-seized-in-Waterbury-13856138.php

In fact, they aw-thaw-rih-tays arrested 42 people, seized eitht ounces of raw heroin, several thousand bags of heroin packaged for sale, more than $15,000 in cash, and ...

TWO handguns and ONE rifle. There were also two cars seized, so why didn't the article read, "50 arrested, cars, drugs and guns seized in Waterbury bust"? Two cars are almost certainly worth more than two handguns and a rifle.

It's all in the spin. Guns are eeeeeevil, so never overlook an opportunity to mention them in a negative light.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Misleading headlines
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 10:48:18 PM »
Its all propaganda and narrative.

There is no such thing as objective news.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 08:59:06 AM »
If you want to see some narrative at work go google Ball State Shooting.

They are trying sooooo hard to make this an educational (school) related shooting.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 02:15:23 PM »
If you want to see some narrative at work go google Ball State Shooting.

They are trying sooooo hard to make this an educational (school) related shooting.

You gotta be kiddin' me.

I was alive then ...

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 02:29:35 PM »
You gotta be kiddin' me.

I was alive then ...

You were alive two days ago?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 04:22:20 PM »
He may have been born yesterday. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 05:09:55 PM »
He may have been born yesterday. 

Last night???     ;)

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 05:27:53 PM »

My bad. I was thinking Kent State -- one of my hooch mates in Vietnam went to Ball State, so that name of the school is somewhat associated with the Vietnam era in what passes for a brain in my cranial cavity.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 05:38:59 PM »
The first headline I saw was Ball State Shooting, then it went on to explain the shooting was off campus. They even went as far as to say it was only a 3 minute drive away from the campus, as though that would make it closer, why almost across the street.

Even now the fact it was off campus is buried in the articles but they still mention Ball State in the headlines in order to give the impression it was on campus.

bob