Author Topic: There Are Dirt Roads in Iowa!  (Read 2524 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: There Are Dirt Roads in Iowa!
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2019, 08:33:42 PM »
Yet they are always flabbergasted that Flyover Country rolls their eyes at them. Whatever happened to that HuffPo project to investigate the darkest reaches of wild America that exist outside of NYC?

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/05/20/iowahawk-unleashes-brutal-thread-over-politico-reporters-observations-from-iowa-hot-take/

WTF.

Loudon County, VA is one of the richest counties in the world and is covered in gravel roads lol.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2019, 10:11:03 PM »
You just don't have enough practice, once the frost boils harden and the grader knocks down the wash boarding in the spring, I can run 60-70 mph on most gravel roads. 

Maybe so. The dirt roads I'm used to look like this:

mostly sand and 40mph is usually no problem. That loose gravel was something else, anything over 25mph and I couldn't keep it straight.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2019, 10:13:11 PM »
That's how I learned to "back it into a corner" and race dirt track.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2019, 12:34:28 AM »

Your dirt roads have signs?! Well la de freaking da.  :rofl:

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2019, 01:28:22 AM »
Having lived on a dirt road that was often washboarded, I found that the faster you drive the less you feel it.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2019, 02:36:00 AM »
Myth Busters did an episode (or two) about this effect.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2019, 07:55:55 AM »
Your dirt roads have signs?! Well la de freaking da.  :rofl:

It's a warning sign for those New Yorkers. Not all mud/dirt roads have signd, fyi.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2019, 03:03:39 PM »
WTF.

Loudon County, VA is one of the richest counties in the world and is covered in gravel roads lol.

That's not gravel. Those are the ground up bones of the poor who have been eaten by the nefarious rich.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2019, 03:06:01 PM »
"anything over 25mph and I couldn't keep it straight."

You say that as if it were a problem or something...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2019, 03:10:18 PM »
It's a warning sign for those New Yorkers. Not all mud/dirt roads have signd, fyi.

Speaking of signd, what does "Level B Service" mean?

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2019, 09:18:00 PM »
Speaking of signd, what does "Level B Service" mean?

In Iowa, this came about in from legislative action the 1980's because dipshits were going down mud roads and causing damage to their vehicles, in turn suing the state, county or townships.

Level A roads are roads that are regularly maintained, such as paved or gravel. Also means that snow is removed.

Level B roads receive very little maintenance, maybe a grader once or twice a year, maybe once every 5 years.

Level C roads are gated, most public is not allowed to use them. Think of abandoned ROW or roads on state land. Landowners in the area will usually have a key to the gate. Sometimes they are roads that are open seasonally. Find most of these in the rural older settled parts of the state, some go back to old cemeteries or rock quarries.

Many Level C roads are one step away from the ROW being granted back to the neighboring property owners, but kept a Level C either to reserve it for future use as a Level B or Level A road, or it does provide access to a land locked parcel on it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2019, 10:32:09 PM »
Wait till they find out there are cow farts in Iowa
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2019, 10:36:50 PM »
Wait till they find out there are cow farts in Iowa

Way more pig farts and lots of Roundup.

Uranus is a gas giant.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2019, 11:21:48 PM »
I wonder how well she'd cope with a dirt road that also has a ford.  >:D
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2019, 11:35:00 PM »
I wonder how well she'd cope with a dirt road that also has a ford.  >:D

Delivering Amazon packages

Oh wait, for some reason my mind was thinking AOC
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2019, 11:42:52 AM »
I wonder how well she'd cope with a dirt road that also has a ford.  >:D

Gerald R. or Henry?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

grampster

• friend
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2019, 12:12:46 PM »
I served as an elected Trustee on our Township Board and vice chaired the Planning Commission and Zoning Board.  Our township is rural, had state and federal forestland, prairies, quite a few lakes, streams and the Muskegon river.  In other words, it was God's Country.  We had more gravel roads and two tracks than paved roads.  Slowly, over the years many if not most of the recreational properties (seasonal cabins and cottages) started to become primary dwellings for folks from the cities nearby.  It was only about a 30 to 40 minute drive to two large metro areas.

So we started to have pressure from these transplants to pave the gravel roads and improve the two tracks, wanting street lighting and sidewalks.  Every time a group of them would show up at our township board monthly meetings to ask about that heresy, we'd ask them why they moved here from the city.  Uniformly they would always respond about the beauty of the township, the peace and quiet, and all of the outdoor things that could be accessed.  Then we'd ask them why did they want to turn the township into the same thing they left behind in the city?  And if they liked those sorts of amenities, they were free to move back to the city.  Usually got very quiet and they'd leave the meeting.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw