Author Topic: Ugly weather day  (Read 2103 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Ugly weather day
« on: May 20, 2019, 01:59:29 PM »
It's gonna get ugly this afternoon down here in Ternader Alley. Yesterday the SPC was predicting CAPEs in the 3500-4000 range. Today they've updated that to 4000-4500 with localized areas approaching 5000. Shear predictions have been upped from 45 kts to 60+ and what was already pretty unstable atmospheric conditions are "... rapidly destabilizing more quickly than initially predicted". Ugh. That means a high likelihood of violent, long-lived tornadoes and widespread hail 4+ inches in diameter. They can't move the Risk Assessment any higher because they're out of categories. About all they can do is add "this isn't just really bad, it's really really bad" to their notices.

Local NWSFO personnel are vocalizing extreme nervousness. I've only seen them this on edge one other time and it was the day Moore, Oklahoma almost ceased to be. Lovely, especially considering my parents and my brother's family are perfectly centered in the highest risk area.

Edit to add... They just issued a PDS Tornado Watch. PDS means "particularly dangerous situation". That's a first.  =|

Brad
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 02:24:44 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Ugly weather day
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 02:51:53 PM »
We've got our lawn chairs and ice chests chained down on the back porch. should be a fun afternoon and evening.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 03:14:01 PM »
Auntie Em! Auntie Em!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 03:15:57 PM »
It's gonna get ugly this afternoon down here in Ternader Alley.

Edit to add... They just issued a PDS Tornado Watch. PDS means "particularly dangerous situation". That's a first.  =|

Brad

That sure beats the warnings we got when I was a kid growing up in Lawton. All we got was a quick siren and a funnel cloud. Sometimes we didn't even get the siren. The siren was good because that gave us time to hop on our bicycles and go to the high point locally to scan for the tornado and see if it was coming for us. :)

bob

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 03:31:33 PM »
They issued a skirt alert for tomorrow. Wimmin and cross dressers are advised to wear under garments.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 05:38:51 PM »
Looks like OK KS and MO are under the same system.

https://www.goes.noaa.gov/WCIR4.html

^ Satellite view current for when  you click on it.

That satellite is about to be decommissioned.  Over the years, I got used to being able to interpret it.  I hope whatever they replace it with is pretty equivalent.

Good luck to all of you and all of yours !
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 05:45:13 PM »
Looks like OK KS and MO are under the same system.

https://www.goes.noaa.gov/WCIR4.html

^ Satellite view current for when  you click on it.

That satellite is about to be decommissioned.  Over the years, I got used to being able to interpret it.  I hope whatever they replace it with is pretty equivalent.

Good luck to all of you and all of yours !

Texas, (especially) Oklahoma and Kansas is NOT the place to be today.

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 05:53:58 PM »
Yeah, I've been keeping an eye out in Colorado, too:

https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=ftg&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no

Again, current when clicked. You can move the view with the arrows in the upper left area, called "Adjacent Radars."  I did that to get to OH, where Son1 recently moved.  To.

That big green thing is very unusual and usually means NE and KS will get some weather.   Most of the blue stuff west of Denver is there all the time.

I got a big crapload of weather the weather foodstuffs yesterday and today. June 2009 we got some <ahem> severe weather (they didn't call it a tornado, didn't fit some parameter or other) which damaged my car with me in it, and busted the hell out of the building.

Roof torn up, all north windows shattered, paint hail-blasted off.  If I can ever get the correct lighting, one of these days I'll take a pic of the hail dents in my balcony pickets.

I did not enjoy that.

Terry
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 06:24:39 PM by 230RN »

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 07:13:35 PM »
I do not like tornadoes.  While in LE my partner and I were trying to warn folks in the path of an F-4.  We got ahead of it and didn't know it due to how dark and rainy it was.  Blew us off the road and killed the guy in the car in front of us as well as some other folks nearby.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 07:26:54 PM »
That weather DOES look kind of ominous . . .

Seriously, guys, all kidding aside, if you're in the path of the storms - be careful and keep your head down.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 07:49:19 PM »
^^^^^^
Good God, my ex is at it again.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 08:03:50 PM »

Seriously, guys, all kidding aside, if you're in the path of the storms - be careful and keep your head down.

Is that real??  :O ?? ???
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 08:40:37 PM »

You dare question the existence of.the ancient one?!?!!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 08:45:06 PM »
So far the main storm track is staying to the West of my location. We've gotten some small thunderstorms and quite a bit of rain but nothing nasty here yet.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 09:32:06 PM »

Properties gives a link to Snopes:

<https://www.snopes.com/tachyon/2015/05/cthulhu-1.jpg?resize=865,452>

but I couldn't dig it out.  Looks like an air show by flying saucers.

I've watched those storm chaser shows for quite a while and the occasionally catch a system with several smaller side tornados, but they looked pretty "conventional," but with thinner funnels.

Snopes has a section on fauxtography, but frankly, my Sherklock Holmes instincts petered out, and I decided to just drop these clews here.

On the other hand, weird things can happen.  I once found a small fish in my rain gauge after some violent weather.

Terry

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 09:33:58 PM »
Is that real??  :O ?? ???

Properties gives a link to Snopes:

<https://www.snopes.com/tachyon/2015/05/cthulhu-1.jpg?resize=865,452>

but I couldn't dig out a blurb.  Looks like an air show by flying saucers.

I've watched those storm chaser shows for quite a while and they occasionally catch a system with several smaller side tornados. The side ones looked pretty "conventional," but with thinner funnels.

Snopes has a section on "fauxtography", but frankly, my Sherlock Holmes instincts petered out, and I decided to just drop these clues here.

On the other hand, weird weather things can happen.  I once found a small fish in my rain gauge after some violent weather.

Terry

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 10:08:44 PM »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 10:14:56 PM »
Well, we're now under the main track of the storm. Sirens going off in Tulsa and the city of Owasso which is just North of Tulsa. The whole mess is tracking NE right towards my place. Still more North than east out of the track. hoping it'll keep pushing east. Still nothing here but strong rain and wind.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 10:22:58 PM »
Sirens going off in the City of Claremore, about 18 miles SW of me still tracking my direction.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2019, 12:00:27 AM »
Looks like the worst of it is passed for us. Watching a super cell and tornado on the ground track within a mile or so of my uncle's place.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2019, 12:44:07 AM »
Record rainfall has led to record flooding in the area. Being that I'm on the high ground in the area I don't have to worry about my house flooding but the mess on the property is gonna be a pain.
My Brother in law has flooding in his garage and the sanitary sewer has flooded and overflowed in his neighborhood.
Rt. 66 in The town of Claremore is a knee deep raging river and the city has made 35 water rescues so far.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2019, 09:00:48 AM »
Holy crap have we gotten the rain. I've got water standing in places on the property that I've never seen in the 25 years I've been here.
Woke up to a tornado warning but it was 8-10 miles to the southeast of us.
Historic flooding in the area. Roads covered in places that I've never seen since we moved back here in 1975. 10"+ of rain in the last 24 hours and still coming down. Makes me happy that I picked a house on high ground.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2019, 09:03:49 AM »

Need to find some Mint-Berry Crunch.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2019, 09:05:10 AM »
Holy crap have we gotten the rain. I've got water standing in places on the property that I've never seen in the 25 years I've been here.
Woke up to a tornado warning but it was 8-10 miles to the southeast of us.
Historic flooding in the area. Roads covered in places that I've never seen since we moved back here in 1975. 10"+ of rain in the last 24 hours and still coming down. Makes me happy that I picked a house on high ground.

Always a good plan. 

We had some minor flooding down here after rain a couple weeks ago.  The Brazos river was up at the top of its banks.  People keep buying houses in low areas.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2019, 09:37:06 AM »
My brother in law that lives in the next town over had flooding in his garage and the sewers overflowed in his neighborhood.

He's got some minor flood damage but doesn't have any kind of flood insurance.
He's also an insurance agent.

My son can't get out of his subdivision because the small creek that runs through it has covered the road. It may be more than a day before it goes down enough to be passable.

Samuel Adams