Author Topic: Ugly weather day  (Read 2098 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Ugly weather day
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2019, 10:06:57 AM »
Here in Lubbock proper we dodged all but some medium-sized hail and a good bit of wind. Just a few miles east they were getting round after round of cell redevelopment and every single one of the damned things dropped a funnel. Nothing major, thank goodness. Up around Childress, not far from where I grew up, they were getting 3" hail. Lots of it. The fam got a bunch of much-needed rain and some wind, but little else.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2019, 11:12:34 AM »
"Yesterday the SPC was predicting CAPEs"

Dafuq be dat acronym *expletive deleted*it?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2019, 11:53:04 AM »

Cape buffaloes.  Falling from the sky.  It's a risky prediction, but sometimes a weatherman just has to go out on a limb . . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2019, 12:48:25 PM »
It finally stopped raining, for now.
Got out and walked around the property, no damage.
My pond is full, and then some. First time since it was put in 11 yeas ago that it has even reached the overflow pipe let alone topped it. They built a "beaver cage" around the pipe to keep critters out of the pipe. It's about 3' tall, can't even see it now.

20190521_103244 by lmmiers, on Flickr
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2019, 12:54:38 PM »
This is looking back towards the house from across the pond. The bank is usually the other side of the willow trees. The white boxes are my bee hives.

20190521_104305 by lmmiers, on Flickr
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2019, 02:33:00 PM »

SPC = Storm Prediction Center - spc.noaa.gov

Convective Available Potential Energy = essentially a measure of atmospheric instability.  The higher the CAPE number, the more likely there will be thunderboomers.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2019, 03:01:14 PM »
"essentially a measure of atmospheric instability."

Huh. I wonder if that's anything like my ex-wife instability index...

Because boy howdy, that's fired up to be one hell of a blow no matter what!  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2019, 04:04:22 PM »
"essentially a measure of atmospheric instability."

Huh. I wonder if that's anything like my ex-wife instability index...

Because boy howdy, that's fired up to be one hell of a blow no matter what!  :rofl:

That would be the Crazy Available Potential Energy
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2019, 10:57:57 PM »
We got to huddle in the basement for a  while this evening. We use tornado warnings as a chance to see how well we remember our favorite hymns. Not that well, if you're wondering.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2019, 07:03:47 PM »
Here we go again. Tulsa area getting hammered. Tornado tracking NW  of Oologah where my boats are.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2019, 07:39:26 PM »
More twisters spooling up all over the damn place. Looks nastier than Monday night.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2019, 08:22:33 PM »
Interesting:

http://www.oologah.com/oologah/oologahl.html
The name Oologah, pronounced oo'-la-gawh, is a Cherokee word meaning "dark cloud." I can't help but think there was a tornado brewing the day Oologah was named.

Right now, just a patch of "red" in that area, not as extensive as the other day.

https://www.goes.noaa.gov/WCIR4.html

As I said before, good luck, all affected.

Terry

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2019, 08:49:38 PM »
That little patch of red while not as large as Monday's system has generated more tornado warnings in the last 3-4 hours than the previous one did all night.

Flooding has been the biggest problem with this round of storms. The Arkansas river in Tulsa is expected to breach the 100 year flood plain.
Several main highways still closed and water still rising expected to close more.
Keystone lake North of Tulsa had to release water and it has caused flooding and evacuations downstream as far as Tulsa.
Gonna be an "interesting" Spring.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2019, 11:08:39 PM »
Will pray. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2019, 12:35:47 AM »
Sirens going off in town. Circulation tracking a mile or so SE.
Still have power.

Big story is a couple of loaded barges loose on the Arkansas river. They lost track of the barges after dark. Weber's Falls lock and damn is at risk. The town Weber's Falls below the damn has been evacuated. I40 has been closed.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2019, 12:42:16 AM »
Another localized problem, several local resevoirs are at 95%+ flood control pool full. They will have to release water to protect the dams. Areas downstream will get flooding.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2019, 12:56:03 AM »
Hey, didn't mean to minimize the severity... red is red, just looking at the geographical extent compared to the other day as of when I clicked on it.

Keep us posted, please.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2019, 01:14:12 AM »
Circulation tracked south, missed daughter's house by less than a mile. I've got friends that live under the area where they were seeing lofted debris indicated on RADAR.
I'm still good.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2019, 10:10:52 AM »
Nobody I know personally is reporting damage.
We've had over 12" of rain since Saturday added to already saturated ground and full reservoirs. That is causing some problems. Oologah lake is at 108.25% of flood control pool. It drains into the Arkansas River by way of the Verdigris river and  McClellan-Kerr navigation channel. The Arkansas River is already over flood stage. There is literally no place for the water to go that will not worsen the down stream flooding.
The Arkansas River in Tulsa is already above flood stage and causing problems.

https://www.newson6.com/

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2019, 10:45:12 AM »
Glad you and your's are still okay.

We're on the southwest end of today's risk box. Twisties definitely possible but not expected to be as much of an issue as widespread 2+ inch hail and 70+ MPH sustained winds.

Ahhhhh.... Spring on the Plains. Gotta love it. On the upside, it does make for beautiful sunsets.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2019, 02:48:04 PM »
They're saying Jefferson City got socked pretty good. A "wedge" tornado. I've not heard of any fatalities. So not another Joplin, thank God.

The worst part of the storm passed south of where I live.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2019, 03:02:22 PM »
Seen a bunch of pictures from Jefferson City. LOTS of damage to many of the historic houses along the main drag.

I'm looking at a really nasty front that's rolling in from the west across Dulles International. Could be pretty fun.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2019, 09:44:12 PM »
https://www.thedrive.com/news/28167/midwest-flooding-re-floats-historic-wwii-submarine-for-the-first-time-in-decades?fbclid=IwAR3sA6wwR6evukjMod4INfO-g-UdSRbTPJw-i1Q1dzkVVoP9NJTL4F7OZ_4

Waters continue to rise across the midwest this week as heavy rains and saturated soil bring multiple rivers to flood stage. Homes have been destroyed, entire communities are inundated—and in Oklahoma, the historic World War II submarine USS Batfish has re-floated once again nearly fifty years after it was dry docked on display in a park along the Arkansas River.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2019, 10:09:59 PM »
^ Wow.  Seems logical and likely, I suppose, but to actually see it happening is impressive.

Details:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/28167/midwest-flooding-re-floats-historic-wwii-submarine-for-the-first-time-in-decades

Jeeze, folks, best of luck to all.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 10:22:27 PM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2019, 11:15:06 PM »
Seen a bunch of pictures from Jefferson City. LOTS of damage to many of the historic houses along the main drag.

I'm looking at a really nasty front that's rolling in from the west across Dulles International. Could be pretty fun.

It was a bit ominous to be hearing about it at 2.30 this morning, while waiting for the same storm system to knock on my door.