Author Topic: New York attempting to go after people Trump pardons  (Read 2258 times)

freakazoid

• friend
New York attempting to go after people Trump pardons
« on: May 22, 2019, 02:03:12 AM »
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/21/politics/new-york-presidential-pardon-legislation/index.html

Can they even do this? Seems like this is something that they should get smacked down pretty hard for.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
Re: New York attempting to go after people Trump pardons
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 09:01:58 AM »
I would say no they can't, but it is typical.  Whatever is needed to win right now is what they want to do.  When/if Republican led states do this during a Democrat Presidential administration, they will scream bloody murder.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 09:42:08 AM »
Yup, can't have the Republicans actually doing the same thing the democrats do. How many of Obama's minions refused to testify for congress? How many times did the Obama administration blow off congressional subpoenas?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 09:54:00 AM »
That's a clear violation of the prohibition on double jeopardy.   ;/

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 10:07:20 AM »
But chanting "Lock her up" is hateful and violent and stuff.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 10:09:25 AM »
But its not political persecution when the dems do it....
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 10:54:01 AM »
I would hate to imagine the potential tyranny if some of these people ever get too much power.  I could be pretty bad.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 11:52:38 AM »
Double jeopardy does not apply across different states or between the feds and states.

This is still crazy. Bill of attainder maybe?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 12:23:55 PM »
How many of Obama's minions refused to testify for congress? How many times did the Obama administration blow off congressional subpoenas?
If someone could actually answer this or link to a list, I would appreciate it.
All I remember is Eric Holder & Lois Lerner because they both got (and deserved) contempt citations.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 12:52:35 PM »
Double jeopardy does not apply across different states or between the feds and states.

You are right, I learned something today.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 01:05:55 PM »
I would hate to imagine the potential tyranny if some of these people ever get too much power.  It could be pretty bad.

Quoted for truth.

(Cuts both ways, of course.)

Terry

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 02:22:01 PM »
. . . All I remember is Eric Holder & Lois Lerner because they both got (and deserved) contempt citations.
And the negative consequences to both of these individuals were exactly . . . what?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 02:37:21 PM »
And the negative consequences to both of these individuals were exactly . . . what?
Not much.
Same as the previous couple recipients and likely the next few from the current admin that will probably get them.
In the old days, a “contempt of Congress” resolution had teeth. There were instances where Congress voted to hold figures in contempt and arrested them. But, modern contempt of Congress is seen as a little toothless. You have the legislative branch mad at someone in the executive branch.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 02:37:59 PM »
Orange Man Bad.

Remember when there was talk of looking into Clinton's pardon of Marc Rich after Bill allegedly boinked his wife ?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 02:44:20 PM »
Orange Man Bad.

Remember when there was talk of looking into Clinton's pardon of Marc Rich after Bill allegedly boinked his wife ?

Marc Rich was/is a scumbag who fled to a country without extradition while under indictment for some serious crimes. Him being pardoned looks a lot like quid pro quo when he was pardoned after donating over $1 million to the clintons- but as we all know, that's exactly how the clintons operate.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 06:22:11 PM »
Marc Rich was/is a scumbag who fled to a country without extradition while under indictment for some serious crimes. Him being pardoned looks a lot like quid pro quo when he was pardoned after donating over $1 million to the clintons- but as we all know, that's exactly how the clintons operate.
Wasn’t there a rumor that his attractive wife visited the White House a few times?  Just a rumor.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 06:51:41 PM »
Wasn’t there a rumor that his attractive wife visited the White House a few times?  Just a rumor.
Ah, but was it to visit Bill . . . or Hillary?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 06:59:56 PM »

This is still crazy. Bill of attainder maybe?

The courts have unfortunately ruled that way in the past. I would argue that the original intent of double jeopardy does in fact apply. A lot of very smart legal minds think that as well. I think Dershowitz is in that camp. If I recall correctly the Supreme Court May be considering a case now or soon that could change this as well.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 09:22:13 PM »
"This new law will confront any president -- not just this one -- who thinks he or she can get away with washing away illegal behavior," said Democratic Assemblyman Joe Lentol, the bill's primary sponsor. "New York state, when it affects our state, will not tolerate that."

Yeah, right.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 02:57:27 AM »
I understand New York State, helmed by Andrew Cuomo, is flexing its financial muscle by threatening to withdraw its accounts from any institutions which deal with the National Rifle Association --among others.  At least that's what the NRA says.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 07:23:58 AM »

Clinton also pardoned his own brother.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 04:49:14 PM »
The courts have unfortunately ruled that way in the past. I would argue that the original intent of double jeopardy does in fact apply. A lot of very smart legal minds think that as well. I think Dershowitz is in that camp. If I recall correctly the Supreme Court May be considering a case now or soon that could change this as well.

You mean the Presidential Pardon may be incorporated to the States?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 05:00:35 PM »
I understand New York State, helmed by Andrew Cuomo, is flexing its financial muscle by threatening to withdraw its accounts from any institutions which deal with the National Rifle Association --among others.  At least that's what the NRA says.

They're doing a bit more than that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2019, 06:37:01 PM »
You mean the Presidential Pardon may be incorporated to the States?

Not specifically. There is a case before SCOTUS, I think it’s Gamble vs. somestateorsuch.

The case may depending on the decision make it so Double Jeopardy applies to a State and Feds charging someone for the same crime which they can do now. A lot of people think the previous SCOTUS decisions allowing separate Sovereign prosecutions is double jeopardy. Others of course disagree.

One implication is that a pardon for a Federal conviction would stop a state from separately charging. The case itself has nothing to do with pardons though. If I recall correctly the guy was charged by both a State and the Feds for gun possession by a felon or something similar.

(Edit)

This is actually the case.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamble_v._United_States

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2019, 07:44:41 PM »
Here's the problem:

the increasing number of federal criminal laws
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.