Author Topic: California contemplates healthcare for illegal immigrants  (Read 2124 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
California contemplates healthcare for illegal immigrants
« on: May 22, 2019, 09:48:44 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tomi-lahren-takes-on-california-democrats-plans-to-offer-health-care-to-illegal-immigrants

Interesting optics on the situation: on the one hand, why should California and Federal taxpayers cough up more money to fund healthcare for illegal immigrants; and on the other hand, since the illegal immigrants will be getting healthcare anyway at the ER and various clinics, as a healthcare provider, it would be nice to be paid something for it.  Until and unless there is a Federal or state law saying it is legal and ethical to turn someone away at the door after they fail the wallet biopsy, we still have to take care of them as required by EMTALA.  Another unfunded healthcare mandate from the Feds.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
Re: California contemplates healthcare for illegal immigrants
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 10:07:36 AM »
California is getting the government they voted for- good and hard.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 11:51:03 AM »
a Federal or state law saying it is legal and ethical to turn someone away
The law can say whatever it wants about that but it won't make it true.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 03:53:01 PM »
Maybe it's time to shed any presumption of charity or ethics or "rights" regarding health care. The Hippocratic oath never said anything about doing stuff for free. It's already an entirely profit-driven, corporate controlled sector, why not embrace the fact and go all in, full de-regulation, see how it turns out in a natural selection sort of way. Maybe people will learn to take care of themselves, like when you own an older BMW, you have to learn how to work on it yourself to keep it running or go broke paying someone else to do it.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 05:48:22 PM »
I actually don't know where I should be on this proposal and others like them. I absolutely do not want illegals getting free stuff, but as Millcreek said, they get it anyway by popping into the emergency room and they then incur a much larger expense that ends up impacting me, over what health coverage likely would.

We've had these conversations before and have talked about the difficulty of implementing it, but we wouldn't be talking about this particular either/or if we could limit access to the emergency room for non-emergencies. There are way too many people, illegal and otherwise, that go to the emergency room for stuff that only needs an aspirin, or a band-aid, or a good night's sleep.

Anyway, I guess if this is a direction CA wants to go, it's up to them. I'd have a much bigger problem with it if it were national, especially since the larger illegal populations that would use the free health care are generally in only a few states, and taxpayers of every state would have to pitch in for them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 05:49:49 PM »
I actually don't know where I should be on this proposal and others like them. I absolutely do not want illegals getting free stuff, but as Millcreek said, they get it anyway by popping into the emergency room and they then incur a much larger expense that ends up impacting me, over what health coverage likely would.

Deporting them eliminates the problem.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 06:10:06 PM »
Deporting them eliminates the problem.

Agreed. There's a lot of stuff the government should be obligated to do to follow the law that would eliminate this question. I'm just looking at the reality of how do you handle this expense while the gov is NOT enforcing the law, while also recognizing that the government, and apparently current society, especially in liberal states, will also not accept "don't serve them".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 06:30:10 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2019/05/12/721800514/transplants-a-cheaper-better-option-for-undocumented-immigrants-with-kidney-fail

Here in Washington, we decided it was cheaper to fund dialysis for illegal immigrants than to rescue them over and over again in the ER.  Some people are recommending it would be cheaper still to give them kidney transplants.  Would a 60 year old male in Mexico with no insurance receive kidney dialysis or transplants there?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 06:35:19 PM »
Providing free health care for illegals will just exacerbate the illegal immigration problem.  But it will bring in more Democrat voters, which is likely the point.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 06:50:08 PM »
Medical care for illegals? Yes. Broken leg? Set the bone and put on a cast. Bad cut?  Clean it, stitch it up, put on a dressing.

We're a humane nation, after all.

BUT - (you knew that was coming, right?  ;)  ) the moment the sick or injured illegal alien is stable enough to travel, he's turned over to ICE for IMMEDIATE return - preferably the same day - to whichever country he entered the USA from. The only delay would be to arrange transportation and/or run his prints to see if he's a suspect in some other crime.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 08:49:55 PM »
Medical care for illegals? Yes. Broken leg? Set the bone and put on a cast. Bad cut?  Clean it, stitch it up, put on a dressing.

We're a humane nation, after all.

BUT - (you knew that was coming, right?  ;)  ) the moment the sick or injured illegal alien is stable enough to travel, he's turned over to ICE for IMMEDIATE return - preferably the same day - to whichever country he entered the USA from. The only delay would be to arrange transportation and/or run his prints to see if he's a suspect in some other crime.
And identifying information is taken and logged along with the costs of the care they just received to be paid later or at least maintained as a debt. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 11:39:35 PM »
Costs to be paid by his nation.  That will encourage them to keep their citizens at home.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 09:32:40 AM »
Costs to be paid by his nation.  That will encourage them to keep their citizens at home.
When we already give them financial aide, that may not be a big threat.  However, we could at least withhold that and divert it to pay health care debts.  Not sure that is what I want to do.

The debt should still be held over the person.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 09:36:48 AM »
Slight tangent, but I saw that WA is now a "sanctuary state". Apparently OR already is (something I didn't realize), so now the entire continental West Coast is a "sanctuary".

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 09:44:06 AM »
Slight tangent, but I saw that WA is now a "sanctuary state". Apparently OR already is (something I didn't realize), so now the entire continental West Coast is a "sanctuary".

Sounds like good places to resettle all the "migrant caravans" hitting the southern border
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 11:56:13 AM »

Indeed.  I dislike hits to my wallet more than I dislike occasionally giving people free stuff that ultimately actually saves me money.  For example, handing out emergency beacons to hikers and such actually saves money on searches when they pop the beacon off and are rescued quickly with a single helicopter flight, rather than having multiple helicopters and search parties spend days finding them when they fail to return on time.

That said, my initial thought was "bill the country they came from".  Other countries have universal healthcare, right?  Bill that.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 04:04:02 PM »
How about, if you want us to come rescue you, should you get into trouble, buy an emergency beacon, otherwise you get to be Bigfoot chow.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 04:12:51 PM »
How about, if you want us to come rescue you, should you get into trouble, buy an emergency beacon, otherwise you get to be Bigfoot chow.

I would also add that if you hit the button because you're sick of backpacking and eating dehydrated food, then you are responsible for the cost of the helo ride.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 09:42:44 PM »
It's sad that we lack the national will to simply sentence illegals with ER bills to work off their medical bills.

I mean, come on. We have a wall to build, people.

Sadly, people will take the above as dark humor, or simple racism.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 09:50:17 PM »
It's sad that we lack the national will to simply sentence illegals with ER bills to work off their medical bills.

Got a newsletter?
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 09:01:06 AM »
I would also add that if you hit the button because you're sick of backpacking and eating dehydrated food, then you are responsible for the cost of the helo ride.
How about you are responsible regardless of the reason?

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2019, 12:55:47 PM »

Not me. I want to see Pedro, Maria and their four kids setting up Hescos along the border...

Or Pedro can join the American Foreign Legion.  (Like the French one, in that we can deploy them anywhere and no one will give a *expletive deleted*it as to losses.)

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.