Author Topic: Is tucows.com a safe place to download software?  (Read 855 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Is tucows.com a safe place to download software?
« on: May 22, 2019, 11:53:21 AM »
Wife wants the Windows Live Mail client installed on her PC (I know I had it there once, maybe it didn't survive last year's HDD crash) and MS has deprecated it; no longer offers it for download.  I found it at tucows, which I think is legit but they don't use https, which is weird.

I'll keep looking for it at cnet, etc...   I wonder if archive.org might have it squirreled away direct from microsoft?
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Is tucows.com a safe place to download software?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 11:59:11 AM »
I don't know about currently but I seem to remember them going through a phase of incorporating adware/bloatware into their hosted software so I won't use them if there are other options.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 12:00:35 PM »
I think Windows Live Mail services were shifted over to Outlook.com. Since you already have a Microsoft account, migration is easy. Essentially you just log in.

Alternatively, you can add your Windows Live account to Gmail.
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-access-free-windows-live-hotmail-in-gmail-1172110

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 12:04:33 PM »
Been years since I used them. Have good AV and scanning? How brave are ya? These days I try to only download from the source if at all possible.

Have you considered the Thunderbird Mailer? I LOVE IT! it does everything I need including supporting MANY email accounts simultaneously AND importing MS Office 2007 .dat files perfectly.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 12:10:28 PM »
PS If you are on Windows 10 and have an Android or Windows phone and don't use "Your Phone" and/or "MyPhoneExplorer", you are missing out on Texting from your PC and great wireless data synchronization and transfer! :old:

https://www.windowscentral.com/5-things-about-microsoft-your-phone
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 12:41:17 PM »
This is still a Windows 7 laptop, and she doesn't want Win 10, and she wants the same email client she used to have which was Windows Live Mail.  I don't know why she wants that (never ask your wife "Why do you want that?!") because she also uses gmail, and I could easily setup gmail to pull her POP3 mail from Spectrum.  
But that would be too easy.   :facepalm:
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 12:43:30 PM »
Wife wants the Windows Live Mail client installed on her PC (I know I had it there once, maybe it didn't survive last year's HDD crash) and MS has deprecated it; no longer offers it for download.  I found it at tucows, which I think is legit but they don't use https, which is weird.

I'll keep looking for it at cnet, etc...   I wonder if archive.org might have it squirreled away direct from microsoft?

I have a copy of the installer.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 12:47:40 PM »
I have a copy of the installer.

I thought you might.  (Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!)  I'll PM you my email address, does that work?
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 05:20:55 PM »
Wow, tucows, that's a blast from the past for me.  No clue if they're currently safe.  ???
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!