Author Topic: Computer stuff  (Read 517 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Computer stuff
« on: May 22, 2019, 09:10:17 PM »
This evening I tripped over a box near my desk that has sat there long enough that I no longer even see it. Naturally, I knocked it over and dumped the contents on the floor. One of the items is a package of five 3-1/2" floppy diskettes containing a True Type font collection from a company called Power-Up! Software. I think I bought this collection back in the days of Windows 3.1, and I'm sure the company is now defunct. Nonetheless, I'm a font junkie, and I'd like to get those fonts copied off the floppies to a computer (not necessarily install them, but at least see what I've got).

I also found an unopened box with a 34-pin internal 3-1/2" floppy drive.

Are there any enclosure/adapters available that would allow me to run this internal drive as an external?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Computer stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 09:13:46 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 09:17:22 PM »
This evening I tripped over a box near my desk that has sat there long enough that I no longer even see it. Naturally, I knocked it over and dumped the contents on the floor. One of the items is a package of five 3-1/2" floppy diskettes containing a True Type font collection from a company called Power-Up! Software. I think I bought this collection back in the days of Windows 3.1, and I'm sure the company is now defunct. Nonetheless, I'm a font junkie, and I'd like to get those fonts copied off the floppies to a computer (not necessarily install them, but at least see what I've got).

I also found an unopened box with a 34-pin internal 3-1/2" floppy drive.

Are there any enclosure/adapters available that would allow me to run this internal drive as an external?

get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/usb-3-5-floppy-drive/s?k=usb+3.5+floppy+drive
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 09:25:59 PM »
You're right, Gents. Even if I could find an enclosure/adapter, it would cost more than one of those drives. Has anyone tried one? I see some of the reviews aren't especially encouraging.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 09:42:39 PM »
Spinnaker bought Power Up! in the early 90s. Spinnaker was a huge player in the early educational software market.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 12:11:48 AM »
I remember the name Spinnaker. I probably had a program or two from them, but I have no idea what it might have been.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 08:16:32 AM »
I always liked their logo...

The name looked like the hull of a boat, and the font make it appears as if it was being pulled along by the wind in the sail.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 11:58:01 AM »
You're right, Gents. Even if I could find an enclosure/adapter, it would cost more than one of those drives. Has anyone tried one? I see some of the reviews aren't especially encouraging.

I haven't looked at the reviews, but, any of them would be trying to read floppy disks that, by this point, have some age on them.  Might not be readable.

On the few occasions I need one (very few anymore) I have a hard time finding usable disks.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.