Author Topic: The Homelessness Monster rears its Ugly Head  (Read 1129 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
The Homelessness Monster rears its Ugly Head
« on: May 22, 2019, 11:32:56 PM »
And of course it's Trump's/Capitalism's fault.

As the economy has come out of the Great Recession, America’s unhoused population has exploded almost exclusively in its richest and fastest-growing cities. Between 2012 and 2018, the number of people living on the streets declined by 11 percent nationwide — and surged by 26 percent in Seattle, 47 percent in New York City and 75 percent in Los Angeles. Even smaller cities, like Reno and Boise, have seen spikes in homelessness perfectly coincide with booming tech sectors and falling unemployment. 

In other words, homelessness is no longer a symbol of decline. It is a product of prosperity.

So while homelessness is down, it's up.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/homeless-utah-end-america-salt-lake-city_n_5cd1cac0e4b04e275d511aba?utm_source=pocket-newtab
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: The Homelessness Monster rears its Ugly Head
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 11:35:20 PM »
Hmmm.  I thought it was a feature of Democrat-run large cities.
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• friend

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 09:24:31 AM »
I only saw the story on my phone yesterday, and can't find it now, but the NYT actually had a very interesting article on rich liberals, NIMBY, and why they don't practice what they preach, in fact, strongly contribute to homelessness in places they live, (like SanFran). They just want to talk about "taking care of the homeless, but want others to deal with them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 09:36:14 AM »
Hmmm.  I thought it was a feature of Democrat-run large cities.
QFT
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 09:40:53 AM »
or states...

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2019/05/22/total-lack-of-self-awareness-illustrated-gavin-newsoms-homelessness-task-force-in-calif-sends-heads-crashing-to-desks/

Parent: You haven’t cleaned your room in a year.  There are spilled soda bottles all over the carpet and empty Cheeto bags under the bed.

13 year old: Tell me about it.  It’s a national disgrace!
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 02:29:08 PM »
I only saw the story on my phone yesterday, and can't find it now, but the NYT actually had a very interesting article on rich liberals, NIMBY, and why they don't practice what they preach, in fact, strongly contribute to homelessness in places they live, (like SanFran). They just want to talk about "taking care of the homeless, but want others to deal with them.

This one?
https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-times-unlivable-conditions-in-democratic-led-cities-california

(the link is actually an article about the NYT article.  A second-order article, if you will.)

Original article:  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/opinion/california-housing-nimby.html

The author does a decent job of pointing out the hypocrisy of left-wing NIMBYs, but he also seems to imply that the rich owe something to the poor and should spend more to take care of them (through government programs and taxation, of course).

Manjoo went on to explain how a bill to expand affordable housing failed to move forward despite support from "a diverse coalition of business and advocacy groups."

On "America's Newsroom" Thursday, Fox Business Network's Cheryl Casone agreed with Manjoo's perspective on a "not-in-my-backyard" mentality taking root in big cities like San Francisco.

"Then you have billionaires that say, 'we don't want a homeless shelter in our neighborhood. We want you to deal with the homeless, but can you ship them over to Pleasanton or the East Bay,'" she explained.

Is there anyone who does want a homeless shelter in their neighborhood?  Apart from the homeless, that is.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 02:43:18 PM »

The author does a decent job of pointing out the hypocrisy of left-wing NIMBYs, but he also seems to imply that the rich owe something to the poor and should spend more to take care of them (through government programs and taxation, of course).

Yeah, I kinda expected that from a NYT reporter. The unexpected was the pointing of fingers at rich liberals, since the NYT usually blames rich (or all) conservatives.

And yeah, nobody wants a homeless shelter in their backyard. I think a lot of homeless don't even want to deal with a homeless shelter.

I'm sure there are good ones, but they are all likely run by the Salvation Army and similar, where there are rules you have to follow or you're out, and that are strictly monitored for safety. I think gov shelters end up being nothing more than Section 8 housing x10.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 05:06:16 PM »
Yeah, I kinda expected that from a NYT reporter. The unexpected was the pointing of fingers at rich liberals, since the NYT usually blames rich (or all) conservatives.

And yeah, nobody wants a homeless shelter in their backyard. I think a lot of homeless don't even want to deal with a homeless shelter.

I'm sure there are good ones, but they are all likely run by the Salvation Army and similar, where there are rules you have to follow or you're out, and that are strictly monitored for safety. I think gov shelters end up being nothing more than Section 8 housing x10.

Can religious groups even run shelters in California? You'd think the state would require them to bunk the men and women together. Or, heck, require the men to sodomize each other. I mean, it's California.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 05:35:36 PM »
Even in California, sodomy is not mandatory.

At least, not yet.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 08:57:21 AM »
I am reminded of the point that if you subsidize something, you get more of it. 

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 12:49:07 PM »
I was merely pointing out that Homelessness only is a problem during Republican Administrations.  It seems to completely disappear during Democrat Administrations.

Remember when Nancy Pelosi touted Obamacare as giving people the freedom to leave their jobs and still have health insurance ?? 

See?  They were not Homeless during the reign of Obama, they were simply pursuing their creative side.  However, now that Trump is in office, it's because of his cruel policies that we are seeing so many Homeless, even though it's down overall nationwide.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.