Author Topic: Lay on ground, light fuse, retire quickly  (Read 581 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Lay on ground, light fuse, retire quickly
« on: May 23, 2019, 02:33:28 AM »
The "Married With Children" marathon had a review episode hosted by George Plimpton.

I had heard of him, especially with respect to his "research" as an amateur athlete performing in professional sports, but that was about it.

So, curious me looked him up.  What a gadabout !  But this particular adventure appealed to me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Plimpton

Fireworks[edit]

Plimpton was a demolitions expert in the post-World War II Army. After returning to New York from Paris, he routinely fired off fireworks at his evening parties.[28]

His enthusiasm for fireworks grew, and he was appointed Fireworks Commissioner of New York by Mayor John Lindsay,[28][29] an unofficial post he held until his death.[2]

In 1975, in Bellport, Long Island, Plimpton, with Fireworks by Grucci, attempted to break the record for the world's largest firework.[30][31][32] His firework, a Roman candle named "Fat Man",[30][31][32] weighed 720 pounds (330 kg)[30] and was expected to rise to 1,000 feet (300 m)[32] or more[30] and deliver a wide starburst.[31] When lit, the firework remained on the ground and exploded, blasting a crater 35 feet (11 m) wide and 10 feet (3.0 m) deep.[32] A later attempt, fired at Cape Canaveral, rose approximately 50 feet (15 m) into the air and broke 700 windows in Titusville, Florida.[28]

I guess he had problems with lifting charges, eh?

There's more, but that tickled me in light of the puny little bangs from my Independence Day 0.50" bore salute cannon.

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

griz

• friend
Re: Lay on ground, light fuse, retire quickly
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 02:52:01 AM »
720 pounds?  If I may paraphrase Shakespeare, "a bomb by any other name".
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 03:19:55 AM »

Well, I'm a bit of a "thump junkie."  Son2 and I sat real close to the ground salute line (see link) at one of the annual Colorado School Of Mines homecoming celebrations and were amazed at the feeling of that concussive thump.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/outdoors/a8182/for-fireworks-thump-junkies-too-loud-is-never-loud-enough-12701632/

(I'm sure that folks who've been in battle have a somewhat different view of explosive thumps.)

Terry

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 04:45:32 AM »
Retire quickly... and far.

https://youtu.be/5TKpJ4iMs2E (13:54)

Watch your sound level.

"I told ya that wasn't a good idea !"   Watch the kid with the cups of water.  (4:36) (5:17) Thanks for the correction.

Long, but tragifunny all the way through.  Lots of words involving the sanctity of excrement and misuse of His son's name.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:09:42 PM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 01:40:16 PM »

"I told ya that wasn't a good idea !"   Watch the kid with the cups of water.  (4:36)

Did you mean 5:17?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 03:05:46 PM »
Fifty gallon trashbag with a neutral mix of oxy acetylene will get your thump on. Remote ignition strongly encouraged.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.