Author Topic: Stand of Pre-Christian trees found in North Carolina...  (Read 1958 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Stand of Pre-Christian trees found in North Carolina...
« on: May 23, 2019, 10:25:43 AM »
https://www.wyff4.com/article/scientist-finds-rare-ancient-tree-in-north-carolina-swamp/27439072

The one is at least 2,600 years old, and they believe there are a lot more of them.

But this statement?

"The trees are scientifically valuable for reconstructing ancient climate conditions. The oldest trees extend the climate record in the southeast United States by 900 years. They show evidence of droughts and flooding during colonial and precolonial times that exceed any measured in modern times, experts say."

That can't be right! Human climate change fueled by Trump rage is giving us the worst conditions we've ever seen!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Stand of Pre-Christian trees found in North Carolina...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 11:01:01 AM »
Imagine that - regional climate variability in the last under 3000 years that was greater than what we are experiencing now. Just imagine what 300,000 years looks like.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 12:37:56 PM »
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 12:51:56 PM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 12:47:22 PM »
Ice cores tell global conditions. Trees give regional conditions, and are able to give data on local conditions that ice cores simply can't.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 01:04:07 PM »
^ "and are able to give data on local conditions that ice cores simply can't."

But once again, that "tree sample" is very small, both geographically and geologically.

And, once again, even when we talk about, say 2000 years, it's too small a sample.

As I've said before (not referring to you, Mike or Ben*), "It's your sample size, stupid."

Damn, it's 2° warmer today than yesterday.  Therefore by the end of the year it will be 444° warmer.

Ridiculous?  Boiling it down, guess what?

It's the sample size, stupid !

Terry

* PS: and Hawkmoon

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 01:09:20 PM »

Ridiculous?  Boiling it down, guess what?

It's the sample size, stupid !

Who are you callin' stupid? Yer mudder wears combat boots!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 01:12:01 PM »
You weren't part of the conversation at that point, so I'll have to add you as a postscript.

I was and am referring to anyone foolish enough to cite temperature changes for anything less than a couple hundred thousand years, considering the noisiness of the ice core records and their underlying validity as demonstrated by the regularity of the cycles.

It's your sample size, stupid !

Terry
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:25:44 PM by 230RN »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 03:21:41 PM »
I think we can get back 400,000 years.

Challenging that, we have:

https://www.carbonbrief.org/factcheck-what-greenland-ice-cores-say-about-past-and-present-climate-change

Greenland is just one location and temperature variations seen in ice core records may not be characteristic of global temperatures. However, global proxy reconstructions have tended to show similar patterns, with current temperatures lower than the early Holocene maximum.

Unless greenhouse gas emissions cease in the near future, warming will continue and, by the middle of the 21st century, Greenland – and the world as a whole – will likely experience temperatures that are unprecedented at least since the last interglacial period 125,000 years ago.

That makes the assumption that CO2 is a leading indicator, not a lagging indicator....
For instance- we came out of the 'little ice age' about 500 years ago, and now CO2 concentrations are spiking.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 03:49:51 PM »
Unclear on meanings of words:

Unless greenhouse gas emissions cease in the near future, warming will continue and, by the middle of the 21st century, Greenland – and the world as a whole – will likely experience temperatures that are unprecedented at least since the last interglacial period 125,000 years ago.

Translation: "Hasn't ever happened since the last time it happened."

230RN

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 04:12:54 PM »
You funny mek joke haha.

More warm more food growed.  Maybe good.

More CO2 more food growed.  Maybe also good.

Terry

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 04:42:22 PM »
Tsk tsk. Those aren't "pre-Christian" trees, you deplorable cis-lords. Those are Before Common Era trees.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 08:08:27 PM »
May the Lord Dog smite you with a Milk Bone.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 09:23:55 PM »
We don’t even know what we don’t know.

Yet everyone is so certain.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 09:28:01 PM »
Tsk tsk. Those aren't "pre-Christian" trees, you deplorable cis-lords. Those are Before Common Era trees.

So you're saying those trees are Pagans ...

230RN

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 10:29:15 PM »
I'm trying to figure why use of BC versus BCE could make one a deplorable cis-lord, or even not one, for that matter.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2019, 12:43:44 AM »
I'm trying to figure why use of BC versus BCE could make one a deplorable cis-lord, or even not one, for that matter.

Because, that's why.

And if you have to ask, you're not woke.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2019, 07:37:20 AM »

Because the BC/AD scheme was given us by old, dead, white, Christian males. BCE/CE is more Inclusive. If you don't use it, you're a deplorable Nazi cis-lord, responsible for racism and Melania Trump's evil red Christmas Common-mas trees.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2019, 08:09:04 AM »
"But once again, that "tree sample" is very small, both geographically and geologically."

Being a small sample, and regionally specific, doesn't mean that it's not valuable information.

Case in point, the lost colony of Roanoke.

It wasn't until about 20 years ago when scientists started studying tree rings (in bald cypress trees) that they realized that the Roanoke colonists landed at the start of one of the most severe droughts ever recorded in North America. While it doesn't answer specifically what happened to the colony, it does go a long way toward providing plausible answers to what could have led to not only the disappearance of the colony but also the collapse of Native American cultures in the area.

Another example, the Anasazi. Similar research has shown that the Anasazi society's collapse coincided with a prolonged period of both winter and summer drought.

Ice cores can give an indication as to what was going on... but globally. The real interest in both of these examples is what was going on locally.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2019, 08:15:34 AM »
Oh, and obviously I meant to type Pre-Christian-era trees, ya wankers.  :facepalm:

230RN

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2019, 09:24:26 AM »
But Mike, the issue stemming from the OP is global warming / weather change / whatever.

Surely it's nice to be able to pin down what happened here, or there, by other indicators, but the major discussion is about global change, not about Roanoke or Golden, Colorado, whose temperature will rise about 444 degrees by the end of the year. (See http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=60213.msg1210796#msg1210796 .)

Terry
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 09:42:10 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 10:26:35 AM »
"But Mike, the issue stemming from the OP is global warming / weather change / whatever."

What?

The original post and the article attached to it only mentioned climate change in a peripheral and sarcastic manner and focused on the localized data points provided by those trees.

You're the one who took it to where every liberal idiot wants to go. You want to do that, start your own thread.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 12:01:25 PM by Mike Irwin »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2019, 01:39:23 PM »
I fail to comprehend why ice cores are any less local than tree rings. How does drilling a core out of a glacier in Greenland tell us what the conditions were in Australia, Africa, or Antarctica?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2019, 02:00:57 PM »
Because ice cores are encapsulations of a lot of different information, virtually all of it based on atmospheric conditions at the time the snow fell/ice formed as well as stuff that was floating around in the atmosphere. Atmospheric conditions -- such as CO2 levels -- tend to be global in nature. Tree rings, on the other hand, capture localized conditions. Drought? Very small spaces between the rings. Lots and lots of rain? A lot wider spaces between the rings. The ring sizes can also hint at general temperature levels, but only very broadly. Most importantly, they can't tell us anything about atmospheric conditions (CO2, H2SO4, etc.)

Wikipedia's entry on ice cores is pretty good at explaining ice cores.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2019, 06:35:44 PM »
Jeeze, I'm sorry for initiating the thread drift.  ;)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2019, 11:45:23 PM »
I don't mind using a TLA for Before Christian Era. Or a two letter acronym - CE - for Christian Era.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain