Author Topic: Multiposition ladders...  (Read 1143 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Multiposition ladders...
« on: May 23, 2019, 10:54:53 AM »
Finally gotten to the point where I need a multi-position ladder. Just can't get by with the stepladder anymore, so I'm going to spring for this unit from Home Despot...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-Ladders-18-ft-Reach-MPX-Aluminum-Multi-Position-Ladder-with-375-lb-Load-Capacity-Type-IAA-Duty-Rating-GLMPX-17/304151544?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-100658952-_-304151544-_-N

Very happy to say that the weight rating for the ladder is now HIGHER than my weight rating!

Debating whether or not to spring for the HD credit card to get the extra cash off. Still deciding on that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Multiposition ladders...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 11:46:04 AM »
^^^I have the Werner MT-26 which has proved to be very useful.  It is, however, very heavy and very awkward to maneuver when used as an extension ladder and very time-consuming to adjust to different extension lengths.  I am pondering buying a 24 foot extension ladder to make it easier when I need a long extension ladder.  The Gorilla ladders are great; we bought one at Costco as a housewarming gift for our son when he bought his first house.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 11:51:35 AM »
I keep telling myself I am going to buy a Little Giant someday but never get around to it. They occasionally have them on Woot. While I was on active duty we swapped from an extension type ladder to the Little Giant for carrying on the plane. It was a heavy bastige but worked very well. That Gorilla ladder looks like a good buy, I may have to go to HD or Lowes and see what they have.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 12:15:51 PM »
I've got a Werner 12' version. Folds up small enough it.fits in the back my Jeep. Handy as a pocket on a shirt.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 01:23:15 PM »
I also have a Little Giant. As mentioned, the one downside is weight. I went to Mike's link and read some reviews. Apparently the Gorilla is significantly lighter than the Little Giant.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 05:19:31 PM »
I like my stepladder, but I never knew my real ladder.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 08:20:29 AM »
Going to finally get the ladder this weekend.

I cashed in a bunch of rewards points on my Navy Federal Visa. I was afraid they were going to start expiring, so I figured I'd use them now. I'll pay for the ladder, get a few other things, and figure out what to do with the rest of the money on the card.

Now, I'll get the ladder this weekend IF the card gets to me before then. If not, I'll put it off a few days.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 08:54:56 AM »
Whoa, neat!

You can get an accessory that will let you turn your ladder into a scaffold base. You take sliding sections off each end and use the brackets to attach them together. Each half of the ladder becomes one part of the scaffold. That could be VERY useful when I redo the lighting in my basement.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-Ladders-MPX-Aluminum-Rail-Brackets-GLMP-RB/303528362

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 09:03:32 AM »
I like my stepladder, but I never knew my real ladder.
But neither ever really loved you...... =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 09:07:00 AM »
I have a ladder similar to that.  Works well and I like the fact that if I have to get on my roof, it will extend well beyond the roof line so I can get on the ladder to descend without stepping off the roof.

Safety Tip:  Make sure the locks are securely locked when you adjust it.  I know that seems simple, but mine can be deceptive if you don't pay close attention. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 09:22:46 AM »
I'm trying to figure out which size I really need. I think the 18 footer that I linked should be more than enough for me. I don't really intend on going onto the roof. It's brand new so I shouldn't need to, and I have my spouting serviced by a company so I don't have to.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 02:15:13 PM »
I have a ladder similar to that.  Works well and I like the fact that if I have to get on my roof, it will extend well beyond the roof line so I can get on the ladder to descend without stepping off the roof.

Safety Tip:  Make sure the locks are securely locked when you adjust it.  I know that seems simple, but mine can be deceptive if you don't pay close attention. 

^^^^^This.  It is really great when used this way.  I had to shovel snow off a low roof this winter.  I wouldn’t have felt comfortable using any other ladder.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 02:44:32 PM »
I also have a 6 or 8 foot step ladder.  Technically you can get on the roof with those, but have to swing your legs off the roof to "find" the ladder sucks.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 07:40:28 AM »
I also have a 6 or 8 foot step ladder.  Technically you can get on the roof with those, but have to swing your legs off the roof to "find" the ladder sucks.

Not on my house you can't.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 09:54:32 AM »
There are a couple of places where I can access our roof at about 10 feet of height. The living room with the cathedral ceilings is 22 feet high, so I just recently bought a Louisville 24 ft. fiberglass extension ladder for that. The Werner MT-26 is really a bear to maneuver inside since I have to extend it to the full length before I bring it in, and I have been afraid of building up some momentum and crashing through a window or something. 

The best thing about the Louisville ladder was that I was able to buy it delivered to my front door for slightly less than going down to Lowe's and hauling it back myself. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 02:03:19 PM »
I have a Titan Little Giant.  Had it for over 10 years.  Here is my advice:  figure out how tall you think it needs to be and then get the next size up.  Get a "stand off" for the top, and whatever other type of device to help keep the ladder from sliding on the ground.  You'd be surprised how quickly a ladder can slide out from underneath you when you least expect it.
The stand off makes it easier to get on and off at the top.  You get the extra height so that you can get higher sometimes by using the step ladder configuration.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2019, 09:25:17 AM »
One of my tricks to keep a latter from sliding back on the ground is to put a couple of wood or metal stakes behind the bottom run and actually tie it off. Unless the ground is really soft you don't need much.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2019, 01:13:50 PM »
"You get the extra height so that you can get higher sometimes by using the step ladder configuration."

Rats!  I lost my context with that comment.  It was part of why you get a ladder taller than you think you need.  Plus, it usually turns out, also, you need a taller ladder for some reason you didn't think of and using the step ladder configuration it is safer sometimes.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw