Author Topic: Telling the police to "please stop me"  (Read 1300 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Telling the police to "please stop me"
« on: May 23, 2019, 06:45:23 PM »
As we chip away more individual freedoms (voluntarily) in the name of fighting crime.

https://www.khq.com/news/new-spd-program-aims-to-reduce-overnight-auto-thefts/article_a785255a-7d90-11e9-9964-0b248d356e37.html

What happens when they pull you over to make sure your car isn't stolen and you *may* have had a beer or two or the car smells like pot. Maybe these people think they will get a pass because it is voluntary, guess again people.

I don't like things like this, too much giving up rights for "safety".

bob

MikeB

• friend
Re: Telling the police to "please stop me"
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 07:14:42 PM »
Hell no.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 07:35:00 PM »
Someone didn't think that through. 9 times out of 10, if you're driving between 1 am and 5 am and that's not normally when you are on the road, it means there is some kind of emergency and you don't have time to be dicking around with the police.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 10:49:25 PM »
When I lived around Dallas Texas the car theft was bad and police had a program like this where you could join where if they saw your car out after certain hours they would automatically pull you over. They also did glass VIN etching for free. The cars that were targeted most weren't really what you might expect. People told me my late '90s Tahoe was actually a prime target.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 11:18:54 PM »
Meh. I don't see anyone giving up their liberties. They're not passing a law that takes away anyone's rights. It's just a voluntary program.

Maybe they're people that don't drive around late at night, and don't drink, either.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 11:23:30 PM »
I think I remember hearing about them trying that in Tulsa a few years ago.
Big deal when it started, quietly faded into the obscurity it deserved.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 06:39:54 AM »
Stupid, plus patrol officers don’t have time to be dicking around with this retarded *expletive deleted*it.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 08:39:12 AM »
Texas has, or had, the H.E.A.T program (Help End Auto Theft). Same concept... a sticker that screamed "Stop Me!".

Brad.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 12:20:13 PM »
Sometimes I see cars absolutely covered with stickers, usually some combination of rainbow, BETO, BERNIE, GORE, Keep Austin Weird, peace signs, and so forth.

Adding one of the "please stop me" stickers could results in much hilarity.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 02:11:54 PM »
 :rofl:

The worst one I've seen was a van that someone was using as their pro-tobacco, Religious Right campaign bus. It was half religious iconography, and the other half was about how you'll die if you stop smoking.  Not if you start, but if you stop.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife