Author Topic: Brisket kind of weekend!  (Read 8561 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Brisket kind of weekend!
« on: May 24, 2019, 12:04:40 PM »
The local grocery store has whole briskets on sale for $1.99 a pound. Most of them are huge. I was considering getting an 8 to 10 pounder and portioning it, but I found a very nice little 4 pounder that is going to be perfect for a slow braise in my crock pot.

Going to do a spice rub tomorrow and then Sunday morning it's going into the crock pot with a cup of beef broth and a bottle of Heinz Memphis Style BBQ sauce.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Brisket kind of weekend!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 08:44:32 AM »
Made a slight variation on Alton Brown's rib rub. Put the rub on and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. Just threw it into the crockpot with a cup or so of beef broth and about a quarter cup of port wine.

Now we wait.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 08:34:59 AM »
Turned out fantastic. 9 hours in the crockpot was just right.

Perfectly tender. Even Seren approved.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 10:31:29 AM »
My son smoked a 16 pounder in his Egg for yesterday.  I'm not a big fan of brisket, as it tends to be chewy, but his was delightful.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 10:48:16 AM »
I'm not a big fan of brisket, as it tends to be chewy,

Too many people rush their brisket. They think high and hot will work the same as low and slow, or they cook to temp only and don't give connective tissues the time to properly break down. The inevitable result is exactly what you mentioned. Brisket takes time.  

Brad
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 11:06:52 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 12:49:23 PM »
Too many people rush their brisket. They think high and hot will work the same as low and slow, or they cook to temp only and don't give connective tissues the time to properly break down. The inevitable result is exactly what you mentioned. Brisket takes time.  

Brad

This. 100% this. I left mine go for 9 hours. I probably could have left it go for another hour, but I was getting hungry.

It wasn't chewy, but I think it could have done with just a bit longer of a cook time.

Sliced thin with a squirt of Heinz Memphis style bbq sauce? OMG!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 02:43:52 PM »

Brad

I don't think I have ever done a brisket in less than 10-12 hours. I like to start them early and keep a check on the temp every hour so I can see the plateau and when it starts cooking again. I usually take it off the smoker at 190-195 degrees, wrap in heavy duty foil and a towel and then throw into a cooler for an hour or so before eating. Brisket does require patience to get right.

bob

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 06:56:36 PM »
I think he said he smoked it for 12 hours.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 10:18:16 PM »
Anyone ever try making chili with brisket?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BobR

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 10:33:24 PM »

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think it would break don pretty easy unless you put some in for flavor while cooking and then chunks toward the end for the meatiness. Just a thought. I haven't tried it because I don't make chili.

bob

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 10:57:00 PM »

I have ground brisket before, back when it didn't cost more than sirloin.  :mad:  Fine grind for burgers and such, coarse grind (3/8" plate?) for chili.
"It's good, though..."

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 01:53:29 AM »
Everything I know about barbecuing brisket I learned here:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

Purists say wrapping is not traditional. Spare me. Cooking with charcoal in a steel tube is not traditional either. You want tradition? Go dig a pit in the dirt.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 09:02:57 AM »
I have ground brisket before, back when it didn't cost more than sirloin.  :mad:  Fine grind for burgers and such, coarse grind (3/8" plate?) for chili.

Most of what I'm seeing about people putting brisket in chili is cutting up a cooked, smoked brisket and then double cooking it in the chili. I'm thinking that I'd cook one in my crockpot after smoking it for a couple of hours in the Weber, and then, when I add it to the chili, put the unlidded dutch oven back on the Weber and smoke it again to really get the smoke flavor through the chili.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 09:05:01 AM »
I think it would break don pretty easy unless you put some in for flavor while cooking and then chunks toward the end for the meatiness. Just a thought. I haven't tried it because I don't make chili.

bob

That's the thing about brisket... it doesn't fall apart like a pork shoulder when it's cooked. It will pull apart, but it won't disintegrate when you try to cut it like a shoulder will.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 12:01:22 PM »
That's the thing about brisket... it doesn't fall apart like a pork shoulder when it's cooked. It will pull apart, but it won't disintegrate when you try to cut it like a shoulder will.

I for one am anxiously awaiting the brisket chili report.

bob

BobR

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2019, 12:05:52 AM »
Well, today was bizarro day. I had a snapped bolt rewelded to my motorcycle gas tank yesterday, torque called for was about 45 in. lbs., it snapped again at 35 in. pds. Guess what I won
t do next time? The torque is supposed to be 5 NM, I am stopping at snug.

Then I went down and took out the corned beef I made so I could put it on the pellet grill, except it wasn't corned beef, just a plain chunk of brisket. Not nearly enough time to cook it so I put it on the pellet grill for about 3 hours and tomorrow I will do something I have never done. I am putting it in the crock pot using Mike's recipe above and see what happens. It should work out, I hope.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2019, 07:51:56 AM »
I asked on about doing a hybrid -- Smoke on the Weber for several hours then finish in a crockpot -- on a Weber kettle site I belong to on Facebook...

You'd have thought I was summoning Satan or something... a number of people screeching about NEVER USE A CROCKPOT! FINISH IN THE OVEN!!!! WITH LIQUID! IN A PAN!

I pointed out that crockpot is essentially... a small, slow oven.

Crickets.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 03:41:34 PM »
I'm not sure why you wouldn't do the whole thing on the grill- it seems like it would be easier/better.

Search 'snake method brisket'

example: https://www.grillbeast.com/blog/grill-like-a-badass/understanding-the-minion-and-snake-methods-for-smoking/
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 07:57:16 AM »
I know the snake method. I've used the snake method.

For something like a brisket, though, I want the smoke flavor but I also want wet heat cooking, which is why I tend to use the crock pot.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 10:27:17 AM »
I did brisket yesterday.
Rub w olive oil and dusted with dry rub then 3.5 hours hanging vertically in the pit barrel with charcoal and some hickory, then removed and double wrapped in heavy duty foil with a 1/2 cup of liquid (red wine, dash of Worcester and cider vinegar, brown sugar.) another 1.5 hours at the top of pit barrel on grate, then wrapped in a blanket and set in a cooler for another 1.5 hours while the sweet potatoes were on the grate (pit barrel was idling).
Perfect
What we have here is failure to communicate.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2019, 03:51:14 PM »
I have a small trimmed brisket in the freezer that I need to do something with.  Usually I cook fatty 12 lb packer briskets, but they cost more than steak up here.  (I used to buy them all the time for less than $1 a pound, sometimes a lot less  :'( )  Not sure the best way to prepare something like this little guy.  It might be 2 pounds.
"It's good, though..."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 12:32:35 PM »
I have a small trimmed brisket in the freezer that I need to do something with.  Usually I cook fatty 12 lb packer briskets, but they cost more than steak up here.  (I used to buy them all the time for less than $1 a pound, sometimes a lot less  :'( )  Not sure the best way to prepare something like this little guy.  It might be 2 pounds.
2 pounds? Not sure with a dinky one but I just really think briskit needs to be smoked low and slow.
The one I did this weekend was 10 pounds after trimming.

We usually buy 1/2 beef from my cousin but last year my sister wanted in and didn't want a half. We still had quite a bit in the freezer from the year before so I agreed to split a half with her. She really really really wanted the briskit (always was spoiled and pouty younger sister) for some awesome recipe she had. We split all the regular cuts but things like briskit, tongue, heart, oxtail, etc are singles.
She wanted the brisket and said she would fix it for Easter and have us out so we could experience it together.
Her "special most awesome" recipe for brisket was in a crock pot! It was ok but WTH it was no different than an arm roast or chuck roast.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 01:07:47 PM »
"Her "special most awesome" recipe for brisket was in a crock pot!"

Ah mah gerdzez! Da Horrors! Da Horrors!

God forbid anyone have a different way of doing something...  :rofl:

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 10:16:34 PM »

Make corned beef out of it. Easy to make, just takes time.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 10:18:42 PM »
Make corned beef out of it. Easy to make, just takes time.

Thanks, that's not a bad idea.  It might be too lean, though.  But that still could be the best way to fix it...
"It's good, though..."