Author Topic: Computer / Roku Question ...  (Read 764 times)

Chester32141

• friend
Computer / Roku Question ...
« on: May 26, 2019, 04:17:03 PM »
I was always happy with my internet system.  I could play Roku on more than one TV and use my computer at the same time.  That has changed.  Now if a TV has Roku playing, only one TV can be on Roku.  If Roku is streaming, computer videos on Youtube won't load and news clips take forever to load and some pages won't load.  When Roku is streaming the signal meter on each of my computers fluctuates when I refresh a page or try to load a video.  I feel like my provider is throttling us.  Still shows a fast signal but no strength … Spectrum put in a new router after this problem had started and according to them it's working fine … I'd rather not change providers (AT&T) … if I bought my own router would that enable me to limit provider interference?  
 :facepalm:
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Calumus

• friend
Re: Computer / Roku Question ...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 09:34:02 PM »
If you're in a densely populated area, you could be getting interference from neighbors. Otherwise, it could be something around the house. If you run a test at speedtest.net do you get close to what you're supposed to?  Either way, I always recommend a privately purchased router. With the right equipment, you'll get better range, faster speeds and more options to secure your network. If you want to give me a rough budget, I can make some recommendations.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 10:26:58 PM »
Given that your signal meter is fluctuating, it's possible that your provider isn't doing anything, but that a neighbor(and neighbor can be relative) set up their own router on the same frequency, and thus is stepping on your network.

Alternatively check to make sure that you don't have a device transmitting lots of data for whatever reason.

Checking whether you get different performance wired vs wireless can help detect what the problem is.  If you can stream all you like wired, but wireless is tough....

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 10:40:32 PM »
Thanks guys … House w/ garage is about 3000 sq'  … router would be centrally located … neighborhood would be normal density … provider router has 2g & 5G capability but we only have 2G computers and such … Budget up to $250 … are there routers that would let us take advantage of 5G w/ our older equipment ?  We have enough neighbors that there is no telling what someone may have set up.  I think the only time it acts up is when Roku is streaming .  When I do a speed test the speed is close to where it should be even during periods of weak signal.

Thanks for the input …  :cool:
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 10:44:27 PM »
I'll also throw in with plugging the Roku into a cable to see if the problem repeats. I've found my Rokus have always performed better when on a wired connection.

On a new router, I've been using an Orbi mesh system for a couple of months now and it rocks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 11:23:42 PM »
Have you tried turning it.off then back on again?

=D
 :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 07:57:04 AM »
The Orbi that Ben mentioned is very well reviewed. I haven't had a chance to play with one yet; but was planning an install of one at a client's later this week.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-orbi-ac2200-tri-band-mesh-wi-fi-system-2-pack/6242801.p?skuId=6242801&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=457&ref=212&loc=1&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1266837&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvd758dC74gIVg5-fCh3d0Q9EEAQYAyABEgI83_D_BwE

It won't let older devices run on 5ghz though, that's up to their built in antenna. You can however buy inexpensive USB adaptors that will give you 5ghz capability. 5ghz has 23 non overlapping channels vs the 3 you get with the 2.4ghz band. That alone could solve your issues once you have updated your PCs. How old is the Roku? I thought they had 5ghz antenna for quite a while now?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 09:06:25 AM »
How old is the Roku? I thought they had 5ghz antenna for quite a while now?

I don't know about the wireless, but I had to buy a new Roku to use with my current "what's the best cable cutting alternative?" experiment because several services require a newer Roku than the Roku2 I just retired. I don't know if that could also tie into Chester's problem in some way. There are some pretty inexpensive current Roku options though.

That said, and slight tangent, but I've barely used the new Roku because I also finally updated my TV to a current Samsung, and have been running almost everything off the TV and OneRemote now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 06:57:52 PM »
Calmus … Would you have a link to the 5G adapters you mention … may start there and if that doesn't solve the problem then Orbi will be next … makes sense that there are too many computers using 2G in the neighborhood … ROKU is about 5 yrs old … I think it's a ROKU2 … I'll look at it's settings to see if I can switch it to 5G …

Thanks for the input y'all …  =D

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 05:59:23 PM »
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/linksys-next-gen-ac-dual-band-ac600-usb-network-adapter-black/5174100.p?skuId=5174100

I've used a couple of those in the past with good results. If you've got a decent connection speed, make sure you use a USB 3 port. What's the make and model of the modem/router they gave you?  Depending on how much they reuse equipment in your area, it may not have a 5ghz capability at all. I know around here, Centurylink is still issuing combos from at least 10 years ago. As customers cancel, their old equipment gets wiped down with a rag, and reissued.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 09:11:25 PM »
Thanks guys … House w/ garage is about 3000 sq'  … router would be centrally located … neighborhood would be normal density … provider router has 2g & 5G capability but we only have 2G computers and such … Budget up to $250 … are there routers that would let us take advantage of 5G w/ our older equipment ?  We have enough neighbors that there is no telling what someone may have set up.  I think the only time it acts up is when Roku is streaming .  When I do a speed test the speed is close to where it should be even during periods of weak signal.

Thanks for the input …  :cool:

Okay:  2G & 5G makes me think of cellular standards, not wireless.  Just to confirm, you're talking about 2.4Ghz(802.11b/g) vs 5Ghz(802.11a back in the day)?

Routers that let your older equipment take advantage of 5Ghz:  Sorry, it doesn't work that way.  In order to use a given frequency or standard like 802.11n, all devices have to be rated/designed for it.  So if you have a device that is only rated for 2.4Ghz networks, it can only use 2.4Ghz networks.  For an older computer, the only option would be to add or replace the wireless network card with one that can do 5Ghz if that is what you want.  Or just replace the computer with a new one that can.

One thing is, if you have an android smartphone, or wireless laptop, there are software packages out there that let you see the networks out there and relative strengths.

For windows:
https://lizardsystems.com/download/wi-fi-scanner/

Wifi Analyzer is good on android.  There's actually lots of options if you're just looking for weak signal and/or interference.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 08:49:53 PM »
One thing to keep in mind if you are looking at 5 GHz is that it does not penetrate walls well.  My rule of thumb was always you want to be in the same room as a 5 GHz router.  Or maybe the next room.  Its been a year or so since I last dealt with this topic.  So there may be some improvements on the market.  But 5 GHz, while faster, is not a catch all solution to all wifi problems.

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 03:19:26 PM »
Thanks for the input … the router that is provided by the cable Company is an Arris TG 1672  =|

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arris-TG1672-Touchstone-Telephony-Gateway/127186702?sourceid=csebr0396e202ace30a433c836fcbfbf6d393ed&wmlspartner=bizratecom&affcmpid=2114322454&tmode=0000&veh=cse&szredirectid=15595892186314077948810080301008005

Sounds like a decent router … is there a product I could use to boost the signal w/o replacing the router ?  ???

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce