Author Topic: How many school shootings?  (Read 1348 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
How many school shootings?
« on: May 27, 2019, 03:56:58 AM »
According to CNN, there have been fifteen school shootings this year. My list includes three. Going over the CNN list, it appears there may be two that I overlooked ... I'll have to get details before deciding whether or not to add them to my list. But FIFTEEN? Nope.

A couple involved people being shot outside schools -- when school was not in session. One was a random shooting at a school bus, nowhere near an actual school. It goes on. CNN is really stretching the definition of "school shooting" in an effort to pump up the statistics.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/08/us/school-shootings-us-2019-trnd/index.html

After you've read the article, please post which incidents you think legitimately should be included in a tabulation of school shootings.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: How many school shootings?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 11:22:08 AM »
Subject came up at a seminar I attended for work. The stats are all out of whack, depending on how one defines "school shooting."  They showed one set of stats that included all shootings in a "school safety zone" which meant within 1000 feet of any school district owned property.   That can really jack up the numbers.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 11:29:25 AM »
It's become common to see a headline with the words "school shooting" for a thug on thug shooting that occurred blocks away.

One of them passed, barely, the 3rd grade so students were involved right?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 12:53:40 PM »
How about defining "school shooting" as an incident where one or more armed psychopaths (or otherwise demented/criminal - minded)  enter an actual school and start shooting people, with the intent of doing just exactly that?

Just because it happens near a school doesn't qualify .... save to those with the agenda of shocking those in flyover country into agreeing to more  gun laws.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 03:16:31 PM »
Here's my analysis of the fifteen shooting that CNN calls "school shootings" for 2019:

1. Savannah State College: Shooter not affiliated with school. Outdoors, near residential building. No explanation of why classified as a school shooting.

2. STEM School, Highlands ranch: School shooting. On my list.

3. University of Oregon: CNN says shooting happened outside a fraternity house. The article they link to says it was in a parking lot behind a bar. Not a school shooting.

4. University of North Carolina: School shooting. On my list.

5. Prescott HS: School shooting. Added to my list.

6. Holmes, MS: Student hit by bullet while riding on school bus. No indication whether or not student -- or even bus -- was a target. Not a school shooting.

7. Grambling State University: Accidental/negligent discharge. It happened in a school dorm, but no intent to shoot anyone. Not a school shooting.

8. Montgomery, AL: School shooting. Added to my list.

9. Kansas City: Victim was student. Shooting happened outside the school, at night, during or after a basketball game. Shooter may or may not have been a student, but victim had a history with the shooter. Not sure whether to classify as a school shooting. Tentatively added to list.

10. Baltimore: Victim was a teacher, shooting happened in the school during the school day. School shooting. Added to my list.

11. Humble, TX: Shooting happened in school parking lot at 6:15 p.m. Drug deal gone bad. Not a school shooting.

12. Memphis, TN: Gun was a pellet gun. Student was at an ROTC function. No details. Possibly the BB gun was being used for training and shooting was an acccident. Without further details, NOT added to my list.

13. Lithonia, GA: Shooting was on school property, at night, unrelated to school function. Victim saw someone trying to break into his car. When victim approached, thief shot him. Not a school shooting.

14. Mobile, AL: Shooting happened at 9:00 p.m. on a Friday night, near a building where a HS basketball game was being played. Two males shooting at each other. Mutual combat. Not a school shooting.

15. Belmont, CA: Shooting happened at 11:00 p.m. in an elementary school parking lot. Victim was a HS student who attended a different school. Not a school shooting. (Possible drug deal gone bad?)

I was showing three. After reviewing this list, I added four, for a total of seven for 2019. And I consider one of the adds to be a tentative listing.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 05:06:49 PM »
I vote "not" for number 9. That sounds like a personal beef between two people that happened to go down near a school and if we wouldn't count a fist fight between two people on/near school grounds to be a "student riot" or some such, then I wouldn't count this as a "school shooting".

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 05:27:10 PM »
I vote "not" for number 9. That sounds like a personal beef between two people that happened to go down near a school and if we wouldn't count a fist fight between two people on/near school grounds to be a "student riot" or some such, then I wouldn't count this as a "school shooting".

I included it because, according to the only article I read, the circumstances were that both the shooter and the victim were spectators at the game. They had words. The shooter and a companion were ejected from the gymnasium. When the victim went outside later, she was shot. So there is a connection to a school activity as well as the fact that it took place on school grounds.

But it's tenuous ...

freakazoid

• friend
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend