Author Topic: Walther CCP  (Read 8293 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Walther CCP
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 12:12:35 AM »
i was considering getting one, a friend has one with "issues" - the mag disconnects on its own accord.
but he only wants 200 for it.
however, i had to turn it down even tho it seems like a good trade gun for next year or so, i need to get ahead of the bills.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2019, 02:05:19 PM »
The Walther has landed!

Now I just need to figure out when I can get over there to pick it up.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2019, 02:43:30 PM »
i was considering getting one, a friend has one with "issues" - the mag disconnects on its own accord.
but he only wants 200 for it.
however, i had to turn it down even tho it seems like a good trade gun for next year or so, i need to get ahead of the bills.

Walther warranty is good. 

If you purchase a Walther firearm, it carries its Legendary Warranty regardless of whether or not you are the original purchaser.  This warranty covers Walther centerfire and rimfire firearms, produced after 1993 only and does not apply to antique, limited edition, or custom firearms.

If your Walther firearm has a defect in materials or workmanship, please contact Walther or return the firearm, postage paid, with a brief description of the problem to us at the address noted below for a repair or replacement at no cost to you.

For $200 I'd risk it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2019, 01:59:15 PM »
I haz Walther!

I LOVE the way it fits into my hand!

Range session tonight!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2019, 02:24:44 PM »
I haz Walther!

I LOVE the way it fits into my hand!

Range session tonight!

Walther seems to have ergonomics down. I don't think I've ever shot a more "comfortable" (for lack of a better word) pistol.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2019, 09:17:49 PM »
3 magazines and the gun is com.pletely dead. Fatal failure. Gotta go back to Walther.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2019, 09:33:47 PM »
Pictures? Description?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2019, 09:36:12 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2019, 11:45:59 PM »
Tomorrow

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2019, 12:26:11 AM »
Too pissed to Pic? I can get down with that. My head is trying to kill me today (headaches) and I am trying to keep the will up to not apply a tourniquet to my neck to see if it helps at this point! (banana <-- my "just kidding" "safe" word)
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2019, 12:28:09 AM »
Here it is.

The red thing on the right is the cocking indicator.

It's sitting in the locking block.

The spring? It shouldn't be compressed like that. The reason it is is because I'm pretty sure that the striker, that silvery thing to the left of it, has broken through the firing pin drop safety in the slide and it's now jammed fully to the rear where it shouldn't be.

Before I realized what was going on I tried to disassemble the slide, and that's what I saw when the locking block popped out.

But... I can't get the locking block back into place.

This is, as far as I'm concerned, a catastrophic failure for a gun that I was hoping to make my new CCW piece.

I'm going to get in touch with Walther. They have a pretty good warranty rep, but the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that I don't really want to carry this gun now. Fewer than 30 rounds for a catastrophic failure that completely disables the gun?

I think I'm just going to ask for my money back and and I'm going to buy a Ruger.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2019, 01:24:59 AM »
Ok, that sux! I would lose confidence in it as well.
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2019, 08:34:15 AM »
Guess you could say your CCP went CCCP
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2019, 08:52:43 AM »
Just shot off an e-mail to Walther's customer service. I included the photo.

"Brand new, and very dead, Walther CCP

On Saturday June 16 I took possession of my new Walther CCP M2, purchased from Bud's Gun Shop.

Saturday evening I went to the NRA Range to run it through its paces. Within 30 rounds of 115-gr. Winchester White Box 9mm ammo my new CCP suffered what appears to be a critical mechanical failure that has completely disabled it.

The gun fired normally, then on the next attempted shot nothing happened. I noticed that the cocking indicator was sticking out of the rear of the locking block a LOT farther than it seemed it should be. I attempted to remove the slide. The locking block popped free but I cannot get the slide off, nor can I get the locking block to return to its seated and locked position. Please see the attached picture.

It appears that the striker has somehow been pushed farther back that it should and is now jammed, rendering the gun completely non function.

Needless to say I'm extremely unhappy. I purchased this gun with the intention of it becoming my primary CCW to replace the revolvers that I have carried for over 30 years. Now I sincerely doubt if I will ever trust a CCP enough to considering carrying one."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2019, 11:15:48 AM »
Obviously much of a CCW choice is what is comforting to you, but I confess I don't understand the whole "I'll never feel comfortable enough to carry it after X happened", although Mike is certainly not the only one to say something like that.

Firearms are machines.  Machines break.  Firearms are machines that are built by humans, and can be built incorrectly. 

We don't even know what happened to this gun.  Is it a design flaw?  Did a part break? Was it assembled incorrectly from the factory?  Why would you write of an entire design of pistol you liked enough to spend money on because *something* happened.  I get testing out the individual pistol you plan on carrying for some amount of rounds until you feel comfortable, but why write off an entire design that 30 rounds ago you liked?

I've shot a 1911 till it broke.  I've had parts break in a Sig and an AR.  Hell I even had a vaunted Smith revolver lock up on me once that required a complete disassembly to fix.  I still carry example of all of them (except the revolver, but that's for other reasons.)

There's plenty of other pistols to carry, so swap out for a Ruger if you want, but it's not like Roger's NEVER break.  Personally I'd want to at least know what happened before I made any decisions.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2019, 12:12:53 PM »
That it broke isnt an issue. That it broke in the first 30 rounds is a BIG issue.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2019, 12:47:35 PM »
That it broke isnt an issue. That it broke in the first 30 rounds is a BIG issue.

I would say that's actually better.  Defective part that breaks right away?  That's ideal. Fix it and put 250-300 rds through it and you can have high confidence it's fixed for good.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2019, 12:55:11 PM »
And I disagree. WHY did the part break? Bad design? Then what does another 300 round prove?

Faulty manufacture? Same question.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2019, 01:07:33 PM »
Perhaps a bit of research to see if this has occurred a statistically significant amount of times, or if there are other repeated quality control issues. Could be bad design, cheap parts, or other issues with a repeatable history. Or it could be a Friday gun, or a fluke. The former would have me seeking another gun altogether. The latter would have me seeing what Walther does for me, and then putting a few hundred rounds through it to see what happens.

Really, a failure after 30 rounds sounds more like "Friday gun" to me.

In the end though, a guy's gotta go with what's comfortable for him. Much is psychological - If I have a gun that makes me, in the back of my mind, think, "What if this fails again at a really bad time?" I'm likely not going to want to carry it, even if the malfunction was a total fluke.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2019, 01:12:07 PM »
Let me start by saying, I'm not really trying to change your mind, there are plenty of handguns to pick and they all work pretty well.  I'm just trying to have a discussion about something I see on gun boards a lot, that makes no sense [ETA: to me.  makes no sense to me).

On any machine, a reasonable test period after repair proves that it is functioning as designed, and you can have high confidence that the fault was repaired and the machine will function as designed for it's lifespan.

It's not 100% (nothing is), but it's pretty close.

As far as why it failed, that remains to be seen, but there are enough CCP's in the world that have gone beyond 30 rounds we can be confident that it's not inherent in the design to go tits up at that point.  So it's VERY likely that it's a faulty part, or faulty manufacture of something.  Both are easily remedied.  

That said, you started the warranty/repair process by deciding that you no longer wanted the pistol, so I doubt you can be swayed.  That's why I started this part of the discussion with "I don't understand...."

Realistically speaking, from the standpoint of one that builds and repairs machines way more complicated and prone to breakage than a handgun, there's no rational reason to think that your pistol, repaired and tested, or a replacement CCP isn't just as good as you expected it to be when you bought it last week.  

It's funny, because we talk in politics all the time about folks reacting to their "feelings", but that's what's happening here.  You won't "feel safe" with a CCP, no matter what evidence exists that the pistol works, so you don't want it any more.  I'm just amused by the phenomenon.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2019, 01:12:11 PM »
I've found no other reports even hinting at a failure like this.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2019, 01:15:43 PM »
To you it makes no sense.

To others it makes perfect sense.

I doubt if I could explain to you in a way that you would understand.

Just as you can't explain to me your position I would understand.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2019, 01:17:02 PM »
However, I am more than willing to sell you this gun once I get it back from Walther.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2019, 01:17:17 PM »
<opinion>

Delayed Blowback?

I'll pass.

Anything small that requires tight tolerances to function will soon wear into a non-functional state unless it's a Big German Machine Gun, which is large and powerful enough in the first place that a couple of thou here and there don't matter that much.

Or gets dirty enough in the course of normal functioning that it stops.

Or requires a fluted chamber.

Or lubed cases.

</opinion>

Take it or leave it.  See Remington R51 pistol history.

Terry, IOF*, 230RN

* Intransigent Old Fart
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 02:18:27 PM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2019, 01:18:57 PM »
My HK P7 is delayed blowback and has never bobbled.