Author Topic: Old Comic Book Ads  (Read 1027 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Old Comic Book Ads
« on: May 30, 2019, 10:43:52 AM »
Or more precisely, the ads in the back of comic books. Probably only the older folks here remember these. I never really read comic books, but subscribed to Analog (pulp sci-fi stories) as a kid, and they had these in the back there too. I distinctly remember asking my mom if I could order some of them, but I don't think she ever let me.  :laugh:

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/sea-monkeys-and-x-ray-spex/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Old Comic Book Ads
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 11:29:24 AM »
Or more precisely, the ads in the back of comic books. Probably only the older folks here remember these. I never really read comic books, but subscribed to Analog (pulp sci-fi stories) as a kid, and they had these in the back there too. I distinctly remember asking my mom if I could order some of them, but I don't think she ever let me.  :laugh:

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/sea-monkeys-and-x-ray-spex/

I subscribed to Analog from about 1968 on (through to the late '90s some time).  I don't recall this kind of stuff.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 11:32:22 AM »
I remember Sea Monkeys being available at Toys R Us when I was a kid.  And yes, I fell for that complete waste of money.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 11:33:20 AM »
I subscribed to Analog from about 1968 on (through to the late '90s some time).  I don't recall this kind of stuff.

Maybe it was in the back of Boys Life then? I may actually have some old Analogs in a box somewhere, I'll have to look. I could swear it was in the older Analogs (or maybe Asimov's I got that too). I could swear it was in one of the "pulpy" magazines though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 11:40:47 AM »
I vaguely remember seeing an ad for a Gemini space capsule.  Like the Polaris submarine ad, I'm now sure it was a glorified cardboard box.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 11:41:29 AM »
I remember some of those comic book ads - I never ordered anything from them, but a couple of kids on my block did; general kid consensus was "WHAT A RIPOFF!!"

Now, if I had been just a little older, I would have been saving up my allowance and chore money for some of the stuff pre-1968 gun books advertised from places like Klein's or Hunter's Lodge.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 11:42:26 AM »
I actually tried to get the Polaris submarine but they mailed me back they no longer had them.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 11:53:59 AM »
Those ads were great.  They promised so much.  I got the Sea Monkeys and was sorely disappointed with the little blobs floating around.  I could barely tell the difference between the creatures and the stuff they were fed. 

I really wanted the x-ray specs so I could take them to the beach and check out the babes!
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 12:36:17 PM »
I don't remember any ads like that ever running in Boy's Life. I can't imagine that the BSA would have encouraged scouts spending money on absolute crap like that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 12:59:23 PM »

By 1968 I had gone to Vietnam and returned. That kind of stuff dates to the 1950s. I remember the Sea Monkey and Charles Atlas ads very well. I never saw the Polaris sub ad, though.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 01:01:55 PM »
I don't remember any ads like that ever running in Boy's Life. I can't imagine that the BSA would have encouraged scouts spending money on absolute crap like that.

Not then, but they do now. Take a look at the official BSA hatchet of today compared to the Bridgeport hatchets that were the official BSA hatchet when I was a kid.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 01:35:31 PM »
I remember the sea monkeys, xray glasses and the submarine that was a cardboard box.  I also remember the prank soap that turned your hands black when you washed with it. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 02:06:19 PM »
Never saw the submarine, but the sea monkeys, x-ray glasses, and black soap ads were still around in the late 70's
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 02:38:51 PM »
My big thing was an Atomic Ring, around 1950? or so.

Supposedly it was a tiny scintillometer in a little tube consisting of a tiny lens supposedly focused on a little screen with "atomic material" embedded in it that would make the screen sparkle when an atom decayed. Just like in the atomic bomb.

This all was mounted on an adjustable ring.

Instructions said to use it in a dark room and allow yourself to get used to the dark.

Well, I stayed in the dark for a while, looked into it, no sparkles.  Stayed in the dark for a longer while, still no sparkles.

Stayed in the dark for a still longer while, still no sparkles.

Never did see any scintillations in it.  And I hadn't been that dark-adapted since just befpre I was born.

Terry, 230RN

ETA I can't believe they're still selling the darned things.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=kix%20atomic%20ring
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:48:56 PM by 230RN »

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 08:34:24 PM »
Sea Monkeys were around in the 80's too. I remember their ads in Groo the Wanderer. Never got them though.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 08:47:20 PM »
I was always tempted by the "Build your own Hovercraft!" ad.

Never ordered it, but was tempted.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 11:18:53 PM »

Boy's Life Circa 1984-1992, I remember the build your own hovercraft ad, a $4 swiss army knife, live chameleon with free food, a weather balloon, a solar balloon and the inside of the back cover of jokes, gags and magic tricks (Johnson Smith Company or Abracadabra Shop).

https://books.google.com/books?id=vWYEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA62&lpg=PA62&dq=joke/magic+company+belleville+il&source=bl&ots=nHpxlk2ZR9&sig=ACfU3U2jhZvyulqnp2UDm8u98TgOZNBNxA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi8ob7A5sTiAhVPbKwKHayXCPsQ6AEwDHoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=joke%2Fmagic%20company%20belleville%20il&f=false
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2019, 12:48:07 AM »
I remember seeing these types of ads in the back in the 90's. I remember ordering sea monkeys, but I'm pretty sure that was through one of the school book order things as I don't believe I had ever ordered anything off of the back of the comics. I thought the "sea monkeys" were pretty neat. Had them, and they multiplied, for a quite a while.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2019, 09:19:02 AM »
What I remember were ads for "pellet guns" that always caught my attention in the comic books.  Like this set being discussed in this threat at AR15.com

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Who_remembers__4_95_pellet_guns_from_andamp_quot_Guaranteed_Distributorsandamp_quot__/5-1885287/

I always wants a couple of these.  Mom said no, time and again.  When a buddy got one of the revolvers, I was suddenly happy Mom said no.  Piece of junk...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 09:20:15 AM »
Boy's Life Circa 1984-1992, I remember the build your own hovercraft ad, a $4 swiss army knife, live chameleon with free food, a weather balloon, a solar balloon and the inside of the back cover of jokes, gags and magic tricks (Johnson Smith Company or Abracadabra Shop).

https://books.google.com/books?id=vWYEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA62&lpg=PA62&dq=joke/magic+company+belleville+il&source=bl&ots=nHpxlk2ZR9&sig=ACfU3U2jhZvyulqnp2UDm8u98TgOZNBNxA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi8ob7A5sTiAhVPbKwKHayXCPsQ6AEwDHoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=joke%2Fmagic%20company%20belleville%20il&f=false

Then maybe it was Boys Life where I saw the ads and not Analog. I got the magazine in the early 70s during my limited stint in the Scouts.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2019, 09:32:57 AM »
Rather surprisingly interesting video on the history of Sea Monkeys
I thought from the title it was going to be some PETA  oh no he killed hapless brine shrimp! type video. Nope, the guy who started SMs had a rather dark side to him.

The Dark Past of Sea Monkeys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0xXKCOSZuQ
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2019, 08:48:23 PM »
Anyone remember the Geniac(?) "computer"?

It was really just a kit where you could set up a bunch of rotary switches to demonstrate logic/truth tables.  Not a computer, but it demonstrated logic.I ordered my first chemistry set from the Porter Chemical Company in Hagerstown Maryland.  Odd that I remember that.

Terry

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2019, 09:48:54 PM »
I ordered my first chemistry set from the Porter Chemical Company in Hagerstown Maryland.  Odd that I remember that.

Terry

I absolutely attribute the beginnings of the SJWs, zero tolerance in schools, diversity, and every other lame ass leftist namby pamby safety blanket to the demise of chemistry sets. I still remember that my first set (late 60s) kept me entertained and taught me many things over hours and hours of experiments. I still remember trying to combine the sulfur and potassium nitrate included in it with my dad's charcoal briquets.  :laugh:

Those chemicals, bunsen burners, and all the other educational "but dangerous!" stuff turned more kids into competent scientists (or just well educated people) than that fraud Bill Nye ever did or will.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2019, 01:34:59 PM »
I absolutely attribute the beginnings of the SJWs, zero tolerance in schools, diversity, and every other lame ass leftist namby pamby safety blanket to the demise of chemistry sets. I still remember that my first set (late 60s) kept me entertained and taught me many things over hours and hours of experiments. I still remember trying to combine the sulfur and potassium nitrate included in it with my dad's charcoal briquets.  :laugh:

Those chemicals, bunsen burners, and all the other educational "but dangerous!" stuff turned more kids into competent scientists (or just well educated people) than that fraud Bill Nye ever did or will.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._C._Gilbert_Company

Yep.  I had a chemistry set.  And Lincoln Logs, an Erector set, and tinker toys.  And a microsocpe, with some pre-made slides.  All kinds of crap around the house.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2019, 01:57:42 PM »
Lee N. Field: check on all of those. We must be roughly the same age.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame