Author Topic: Old Comic Book Ads  (Read 1035 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Old Comic Book Ads
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2019, 08:34:12 PM »
I absolutely attribute the beginnings of the SJWs, zero tolerance in schools, diversity, and every other lame ass leftist namby pamby safety blanket to the demise of chemistry sets. I still remember that my first set (late 60s) kept me entertained and taught me many things over hours and hours of experiments. I still remember trying to combine the sulfur and potassium nitrate included in it with my dad's charcoal briquets.  :laugh:

Those chemicals, bunsen burners, and all the other educational "but dangerous!" stuff turned more kids into competent scientists (or just well educated people) than that fraud Bill Nye ever did or will.

Preach it, brother!  It's a miracle that I am still alive considering all the fool fun stuff I did with my highly augmented chemistry set.
(Highly augmented in the sense that I purchased lots of neat stuff from a local lab supply outfit in Seattle to build out and replenish my basic chemistry set.)
"Yes, Mother, it is perfectly safe to be making this [insert highly dangerous concoction] in the basement family room."
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Old Comic Book Ads
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2019, 11:44:02 AM »
"Augmented."  Like.  I inherited a rather complete complement of chemicals and apparatus from a relative.

Inluded things like a ribbon of magnesium foil, elemental phosphorus, four or five glass-stoppered reagent bottles with the reagents' names molded into the glass, a Fisher burner (bunsen burner with grillwork on top), flasks, beakers...

It wasn't long before I had to go buy pound bottles of the concentrated "big three,' HCl, HNO3, and sulphuric.  Spelled "sulphuric."

Eimer and Amend scientific supply was a slight diversion from my subway route to and from school, and they never asked about age but I told them I was a chemistry student at Brooklyn Tech.  Those were the days.  Looking back, it reminds me of the fact that Pop used to send me out for cigarettes for him, and I was, hell, less than ten years old.

Home of the brave, land of the free, hah?

Yep on the Momism safety regulations causing our overprotective society which in turn caused the SJW movement, Ben !

"Be careful with that knife ! Don't cut yourself !

"Aw, Mom, I was just meaning to cut myself.  You spoiled the fun !"

I wonder what those reagent bottles might be worth today.

Terry
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 12:04:18 PM by 230RN »