Author Topic: Steel credit cards  (Read 939 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Steel credit cards
« on: June 03, 2019, 12:30:57 AM »
My Chase/Amazon credit card starting coming delaminated.  It still worked okay but I was having trouble sometimes fitting it in the slots of card readers, so I reported it damaged and got a new card.  The new one arrived yesterday, and it included a business reply envelop to send the old one back for safe destruction.  I thought that was stupid; I'll just cut up the old card myself.  The old card looked like it had a foil layer in it.  Nope.  The whole card was steel (probably stainless, but it was magnetic) with a plastic coating on the front.  All the good stuff was on the back, embrossed in the steel.  So I cut it up with tin snips and threw the pieces in the trash, but even that wasn't easy.  That's why they sent the envelop.

I've never noticed such thing before.  Today at the Chinese restaurant, the checkout girl dropped the card and when it went "clink" on the counter she commented how heavy it was.

ETA: actually, it was more of a "thunk" :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 11:38:54 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Steel credit cards
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 12:44:10 AM »
Hmmm, I wonder how well they would hold an edge?

bob

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 12:49:00 AM »

bob

I wish I'd thought of that before I destroyed it.  But probably not very well.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 07:27:10 AM »

bob

Busted a gut over that one.  Good thing I only had a half cup of coffee on the way to my mouth.

Now I gotta change my jammies.

Mine are still plastic.  I wonder how well a steel one would shield itself and other cards next to it from remote card reader intrusions.

Wet-crotch Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 07:55:37 AM »
Never knew that they were making cards out of metal, and have been since 1999.

Good article on it: https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/no-annual-fee-metal-credit-cards.php

I guess now it really is a charge plate (one of the old names for credit cards WAY back in their infancy).
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 08:08:17 AM »
Hmmm . . . I think I'll check out the construction next time I get a new card . . . not sure it would be a good idea to feed an armored card through the card slot on my shredder.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 08:17:00 AM »
Received a metal Chase/Amazon oh maybe three years ago. When I first picked it up like I was this is different.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 08:37:06 AM »
Hmmm . . . I think I'll check out the construction next time I get a new card . . . not sure it would be a good idea to feed an armored card through the card slot on my shredder.

Word.

I accidentally dropped a penny into my shredder a couple of years go. It actually started to shred it before it jammed.

I had to pull the whole thing apart to get the penny dislodged. I was afraid that it had bent the cutting teeth, but it worked perfectly, and continues to do so.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 09:08:18 AM »

I was unaware of steel credit cards. I'd seen them as "special order" fancy cards, but had no idea they incorporated metal into standard credit cards. I have always sent mine through the shredder, so I guess I've not had one yet. I need to make a note to check from now on.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 10:02:40 AM »
All of my credit and debit cards over the years, and there have been a lot of them, have been plastic, with the characteristic look and weight.  I had no idea that metal cards were a thing.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 10:37:19 AM »
I have one that I don't use often.

You can definitely notice a difference.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 11:25:11 AM »
I just got a new Chase card. Metal core clad in some kind of plastic overlay.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 02:55:37 PM »
I want a Platinum VISA...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 04:41:02 PM »
I want a Platinum VISA...
The annual fee might be a bit high.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge