Author Topic: Child molestors, people who talk at the theatre, and this guy ...  (Read 1145 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
... whoever did this deserves the special hell:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/812284670

That is all.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Child molestors, people who talk at the theatre, and this guy ...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 06:40:29 AM »
I assume you're referring to the sporterization....

Yeah, I agree in terms of  that particular model, but you have to remember that in days of yore surplus rifles were almost a drag on the market and "the thing" to do was make cheap sporters out of them for deer hunting, etc.

As a prime example, I bought an M1 carbine out of a barrel of them in Dave Cook's (a former) sporting goods store. I did not sporterize this one, M1 Carbines are pretty much already sporterized.

The barrel was right out there on the sales floor, the point here being that surplus guns were very plentiful and didn't have much in terms of collector value.

But I did sporterize a Mauser 98 from Amberg and had it converted to "thutty-ought-six."  Nowadays I would scream with you about that, even though I'm the guilty "butcher."  But then, no big deal.  I did a pretty good job on the stock, just about the only way you would know it was a factory stock was the bolt disassembly hole.  I later put a regular nicely-figured walnut stock on it, with a cutout for a precision peep sight, gave it to a son since I could no longer handle the .30-06 recoil.

So yeah, "AAAAK!" but remember that times change.

Let's face it, not many people would have kept model Ts around for their potential "virgin" collector value.  Instead:

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 07:06:56 AM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 08:29:11 AM »
I used to get worked up about people doing that but then I remember how the govt was dumping guns on the gun market after the Big 2 for super cheap and there seemed to be an endless supply of them. Guy probably bought that for maybe $20 and though "it's just a 20 dollar gun" had no clue they were going to a collectors item in the future.

How about this? MP44 (Stg44) for $49.95. Extra mags for $6.95. Oh and a Lewis gun for $50.
 http://www.paper-dragon.com/fistsand45s/machine-guns-for-sale/

Makes you wonder how many StG44s got forgotten  in a attic somewhere because Billy Bob couldn't find 8mm Kurz

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 08:38:57 AM »
Pretty sure that any Stg 44s that were sold to the general public on the surplus market were dewatted because of their select fire nature. Very few operational Stg 44s made it into the US legally.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 09:05:28 AM »
If people didn’t do this with old Milsurp guns, Quality originals would not be as rare. Nor would they have the value they have. It can still be a shame though, especially for something like the Johnson that was not exactly common to begin with compared to most other Milsurp rifles of the time. That one actually looks like it could be restored though it might no longer have matching numbers if the barrel and or stock were originally numbered/serialized.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 09:07:14 AM »
How common were those Johnson rifles?  I thought they were only made in smaller numbers.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 09:14:02 AM »
$59.95

Sporterized versions for sale

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 09:17:15 AM »
Enfields for..... wait for it.......$9.95

- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 09:22:33 AM »
You have to know the gun companies hated that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 09:30:12 AM »
Yes, and you could get them through the mail !  Oh, the horror !

Makes you wonder how many plentiful things we have today that will be collector's items in the future.

How many useless cell phones and smartphones are tossed or put in the recycle bin today that might be of high value later?

"Hello, Sarah? Get me Sheriff Taylor, please."

How many Lincoln Log or Erector sets have disappeared over the years?

I swear, if I'd kept all my toys as a kid I can't say I'd be wealthy today, but I might be able to afford a modest vacation in a bed and breakfast for two-three weeks.

Terry

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 09:42:52 AM »

Probably why many of them disappeared in the years after WW-II. One thing I've noticed after watching Forgotten Weapons over the years is many of the now forgotten gun company names. Gun companies have always come and gone but I can very well imagined it being especially hard to do business after WW-II what with $10 Enfields, Mosin Nagants, $30 1917s and so on. Remember seeing an ad for surplus M1 Carbines for $30  :O
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 10:45:16 AM »
Sorry if this is off topic
But with the above ads I also found this

$194 for a Colt Sporter

Now that's out of the way.

What caught my eye more than anything else is in the ad is you know how people like to criticize the MSM/libs for calling the AR-15 a high powered rifle?
Note that it's referred to as a "High Power Rifle" in the ad.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 11:22:56 AM »
Yes, and you could get them through the mail !  Oh, the horror !

Makes you wonder how many plentiful things we have today that will be collector's items in the future.

How many useless cell phones and smartphones are tossed or put in the recycle bin today that might be of high value later?

"Hello, Sarah? Get me Sheriff Taylor, please."

How many Lincoln Log or Erector sets have disappeared over the years?

I swear, if I'd kept all my toys as a kid I can't say I'd be wealthy today, but I might be able to afford a modest vacation in a bed and breakfast for two-three weeks.

Terry
Thinking of the old phones, my parents have a replica phone that looks very similar to that, but works with the standard land line.  It has the separate earpiece and center micro phone.  The crank on the right is just for show.  My niece was visiting once when I was there and I answered the phone on that phone.  She didn't believe it was a real phone at first.  Thought I was messing with her. 

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 12:08:46 PM »
My dad picked up a Johnson rifle at an estate sale when he was an antique dealer.  This was in the 80s, before the current milsurp craze.  He had to send it to 2 or 3 gun shows to finally get $150 for it.  He was purely a hunter, and could see no possible use for the thing.  I loaded up 50 fairly mild 30-06 loads for it and took it to the range.  It was fairly accurate and fun to shoot, but it would fling brass about 20 yards and dent every case mouth.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 12:17:16 PM »
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 06:03:13 AM by 230RN »

Pb

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 01:38:56 PM »

That's is one (of several) of the reasons we got the sporting purpose clause of the GCA of 1968.... to cut competition for domestic arms makers from milsurps.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 02:02:44 PM »
Sorry if this is off topic
But with the above ads I also found this

$194 for a Colt Sporter

Now that's out of the way.

What caught my eye more than anything else is in the ad is you know how people like to criticize the MSM/libs for calling the AR-15 a high powered rifle?

I'm kind of vague on this but at some point, maybe when the M-16s were adopted, they got classed as "High Power" for the National Matches.

???

I remember being amused at this, comparing the .223 (5.56 NATO) ballistics with the "thutty-ought-six" power.   I'm not sure where the AR-10 (.308 Winchester) fits in the "High Power" scheme for matches.

Terry

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 05:57:49 PM »

Technically it a high power rifle. All smokeless center fire rifles are considered high power.

Low power is rimfire and pistol cartridges. (black powder cartridges is lumped into there too)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 06:23:03 PM »
Technically it a high power rifle. All smokeless center fire rifles are considered high power.

Low power is rimfire and pistol cartridges. (black powder cartridges is lumped into there too)

I mostly agree. My point was is that many in the gun world like to jump on the MSM and politicians whenever they refer to the AR-15 as a "High Power Rifle".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 07:23:32 PM »
:old:

Wal, 'twarn't even legal fer whitetails in a lotta states.  So 'taint high power.

/ :old:

(I guess that's changed a bit of late, with them citified college-graduated newcomers stackin' the deck at game commissions.)   :rofl:

Anyhow, so I reckon the .22 Hornet is a high power rifle, eh?  >:D

Terry runs and hides, knowing damned well nobody will notice the roffle.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2019, 09:33:08 PM »
The problem with Big Media calling ARs "high-powered rifles" is that Big Media (BM  :lol:) doesn't bother to research the meaning of the term. They just use it because it makes the AR sound extra-deadly.

They also like to call them "long rifles." BM started saying "long arm," and then immediately got that confused with "long rifle." So now ARs (of any caliber) are either rim-fires, or hand-made flintlocks.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2019, 06:03:35 AM »
My dad picked up a Johnson rifle at an estate sale when he was an antique dealer.  This was in the 80s, before the current milsurp craze.  He had to send it to 2 or 3 gun shows to finally get $150 for it.  He was purely a hunter, and could see no possible use for the thing.  I loaded up 50 fairly mild 30-06 loads for it and took it to the range.  It was fairly accurate and fun to shoot, but it would fling brass about 20 yards and dent every case mouth.

Bolding mine.

Seems to me that autoloading rifles were forbidden for deer hunting at one point in Colorado.  Maybe it was just that the magazines had to be limited to five rounds....   ???  Anyone?  Mr. Bueller?

I do, for sure, remember special 5-round Garand clips for high power matches.

Terry

REF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferris_Bueller%27s_Day_Off
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 06:19:07 AM by 230RN »