Author Topic: Is there an easy way to resize pics for posting here?  (Read 712 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Is there an easy way to resize pics for posting here?
« on: June 03, 2019, 09:51:49 AM »
iPhone pics. Too large. Maybe I caught some tard over the weekend but is there an easy way to resize?
I tried a free app but it's a pain in the arse and not working for me.
Thanks
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Is there an easy way to resize pics for posting here?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 09:55:22 AM »
I always download them to my home computer to resize them. I use Picassa.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 10:11:31 AM »
I keep a Flikr account for posting images. It lets you simply choose what size image you want to link to, so point and click and post. Then of course you can also "resize" within APS (though the image's actual size remains the same) buy editing the image posting dialog. E/g.:

This is the native size of your image:

img]http://image.jpg[/img]

This is your image edited to display at a width of 800:

[img width=800]http://image.jpg[/img

Note that I took out the leading and ending "[" to display the text.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 11:00:37 AM »
Most image hosting sites will do that for you.  Flikr and Imgur are popular sites, and I think both are free.  I know Imgur is because I use that.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 01:29:53 PM »
I use a free program called IrfanView. It resizes and does a bunch of other things, but I use it for bulk resizing. If you always want the same output resolution, you can set the parameters the first time and they stay set unless/until you change them.

A friend use Faststone, another free program.

Lastly, for just an occasional resize, the Windows 7 (and newer) version of Microsoft Paint allows you to resize by either percentage or pixels. (The XP version of Paint also resizes, but it only does percentage so that means either trial and error or using a calculator to figure out what percentage of reduction you need.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 02:24:18 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 01:31:32 PM »
I have used MS Paint, simple to use but it is a one-at-a-time affair.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 02:13:54 PM »
Note that Kingcreek is talking about posting to a forum for viewing, not simply resizing an image you have stored locally. Many forums (including APS) prefer that you link to images you host versus uploading to the forum site, which avoids things like we had happen a few months ago, where the image directory maxed out with uploaded images.

Smaller file sizes are okay, but uploading big files to the forum can fill up available space fast.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 02:31:31 PM »
Note that Kingcreek is talking about posting to a forum for viewing, not simply resizing an image you have stored locally. Many forums (including APS) prefer that you link to images you host versus uploading to the forum site, which avoids things like we had happen a few months ago, where the image directory maxed out with uploaded images.

Smaller file sizes are okay, but uploading big files to the forum can fill up available space fast.

Details, details...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 02:32:59 PM »
Note that Kingcreek is talking about posting to a forum for viewing, not simply resizing an image you have stored locally.

Understood.

Photobucket used to offer a utility for resizing images that you had stored on their site. Since Photobucket pulled their extortion demand I've pretty much stayed away, but my recollection is that their built-in resizing utility didn't work -- or didn't work very well. Since I used Photobucket only for hosting images I wanted to use in forums, I preferred to resize on my own computer before uploading. I don't know what, if any, other image hosting sites offer for resizing images.

For a single photo, I might just use Windows Paint. With that, you have to be sure to use "Save As" after the resize, or the smaller image will overwrite the original. Using IrfanView takes care of that -- you specify where the original images are located, you select which images to resize, and you specify where you want the smaller images to be written. I expect that Faststone works similarly, but I haven't tried it for resizing because I've been so satisfied with Irfanview.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 03:06:46 PM »
Faststone ROCKS! I use their:
Resizer,
Viewer,
and their Capture app and LOVE them!
https://www.faststone.org/
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 04:40:59 PM »
Faststone ROCKS! I use their:
Resizer,
Viewer,
and their Capture app and LOVE them!
https://www.faststone.org/

Another vote for FastStone.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 04:44:11 PM »

Well, yeah.  I was resizing before uploading.  Can't let those online programs know I take higher quality images.   [tinfoil]
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 06:14:28 PM »
I tried "image size" app. It sucks.
Loaded Flickr and app finally set up an account. Maybe it's me but it's not easy either.
Maybe I'll try faststone next. Or maybe I'll just say F it no pics for you.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 06:15:56 PM »
Try Faststone, you WILL be pleased.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 06:19:13 PM »
Another great app: http://www.den4b.com/products/renamer
Lets you rename and serialize files quickly and easily. Great for Photos and whatever else. I use it to rename the anime video files I download into a more logical name.
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 06:20:55 PM »
On Flickr all you have to do is click on the image you want in your photostream, left click on the download arrow in the lower right, then choose the size image you want to post on the forum. Right click inside the image and choose "copy image location". Paste that into the image tag on APS. Done.