Author Topic: Loneliness Growing  (Read 594 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Loneliness Growing
« on: June 03, 2019, 11:48:16 AM »
https://www.city-journal.org/decline-of-family-loneliness-epidemic

I suppose I could be amused by all these aging baby-boomers who screwed their children over by deciding they weren't living "their best life" married to the mother/father of their children are now finding that there's no one who really cares about them in their old age... Turn-about and whatnot.

But I'm not. I'm just saddened for them. They bought into short-term self-gratification and have discovered that what their cohorts were pushing was a bad strategy in the long run. And there is honestly nothing they can do to fix it now. Sometimes the consequences of sin take a long time to manifest, but the gods of the copybook headings will always return.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Loneliness Growing
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 11:54:41 AM »
https://www.city-journal.org/decline-of-family-loneliness-epidemic

I suppose I could be amused by all these aging baby-boomers who screwed their children over by deciding they weren't living "their best life" married to the mother/father of their children are now finding that there's no one who really cares about them in their old age... Turn-about and whatnot.

But I'm not. I'm just saddened for them. They bought into short-term self-gratification and have discovered that what their cohorts were pushing was a bad strategy in the long run. And there is honestly nothing they can do to fix it now. Sometimes the consequences of sin take a long time to manifest, but the gods of the copybook headings will always return.

I think loneliness is probably the most universal emotion.  Everybody experiences it at some point or another, so everyone should be able to empathize.  Not sure what my point is in regards to the article, which I've only half read, but that's what I thought of

"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 01:39:44 PM »
I could be that so many people are spending all their time online with online friends instead of talking to the person next to them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 01:41:59 PM »
A couple of comments after reading the article:

1.  The geographical spread of the family as it contributes to aging loneliness: Most of our contemporaries of my wife and I (in our late 50's and early 60's) had children, and for so many of us, our children are scattered across the country due to employment, schooling or relationships.  After they graduated from college on the East Coast, they remained after finding a job there; or they followed their romantic partner's job; or their project ended at Microsoft, and they had to move to Denver for another software gig.  We have three of our four children living within 100 miles of us, and one in NYC, and we are better off than many of our friends, who may not have a child within 1000 miles of them.  Your distant kids, especially when they have children, jobs, and mortgages of their own, are not going to come back to the nest to take care of you; and do they have the space, skills and inclination to move you to them so they can take care of you?

2. Some of our clinics specialize in Asian patients, and we have been struck that as the children of our patients get more Americanized, the traditional Asian respect and/or caretaking obligations for the parents and elders has gone away.  I have had elderly Chinese patient come to me for help after their children threaten them with deportation to get the parents out of the house.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 09:17:20 AM »
I could be that so many people are spending all their time online with online friends instead of talking to the person next to them.

Even when in groups, young people stare at their phones instead of talking to each other.  On campus, it is very obvious.