Author Topic: BBC mansplains feminist good and hard  (Read 1359 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
BBC mansplains feminist good and hard
« on: June 03, 2019, 09:41:22 PM »
A BBC radio host had the pleasure of informing a famous feminist that a major premise of her new book was so much hot garbage.

Thomas Silver, one of the men Wolf writes about in the book, was not “actually executed for sodomy” in 1859 but was paroled a mere two years later. More, as Sweet notes, this was not some adult-on-adult relationship built on love, like her book claims to be about; Silver committed an “indecent assault on a 6-year-old boy.”

To make this terribly simple: this was a child who was hurt in the most intimate way, and Wolf’s book focuses on the punishment the perpetrator received. Further, in interpreting that focus, Wolf was completely incorrect.

Richard Ward, a historian with expertise in “crime, justice and punishment in Britain, c.1700-1850” frames the history of the legal term at play. “Death recorded” enters the picture in 1823, and “It empowered the trial judge to abstain from formally pronouncing a sentence of death upon a capital convict in cases where the judge intended to recommend the offender for a pardon from the death sentence. In the vast majority (almost certainly all) of the cases marked ‘death recorded’, the offender would not have been executed.”

https://thefederalist.com/2019/05/28/interviewer-exposes-false-data-naomi-wolfs-book-homosexual-executions/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: BBC mansplains feminist good and hard
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 11:37:44 PM »
Well, ... oooooooops.    :facepalm:

I wonder if anyone today knows what "research'' is ..... [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 12:46:19 AM »
Well, ... oooooooops.    :facepalm:

I wonder if anyone today knows what "research'' is ..... [popcorn]

Research is to be avoided at all costs. If the findings don't fit the narrative, that would be a bad thing. It's more socially responsible to just make it up on the fly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 01:44:25 AM »
So Wolf is factually incorrect but morally right?
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 07:53:34 AM »

Pretty much.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 08:44:36 AM »

In the exact same way that Michael Bellesiles was right when he wrote Arming America and fabricated many of the citations used to support his thesis.

BTW, apparently Bellesiles, a history professor with a PhD, is now working as a bartender.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 02:13:07 PM »
BTW, apparently Bellesiles, a history professor with a PhD, is now working as a bartender.

Maybe he should run for Congress.
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 02:24:04 PM »
Makes me think that people excusing the assault of children has been going on for a long time.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 02:46:01 PM »
In the exact same way that Michael Bellesiles was right when he wrote Arming America and fabricated many of the citations used to support his thesis.

I wish that was all he's doing.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Michael-Bellesiles-Takes/123751

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 03:47:23 PM »
The article makes it sound like Bellesiles is working as an adjunct professor at Central Connecticut State University. Not a prestigious posting -- CCSU used to be Central Connecticut State Teachers College when I was growing up in Connecticut, and it was one of those colleges people went to if they couldn't get into a "real" college. But Madison, Connecticut, isn't exactly Dogpatch. Madison is located on the Connecticut shoreline, between the towns of Guilford and Clinton. None of them are or ever were Dogpatch but a friend of my ex-wife hailed from Madison. Her catch phrase was "Madison is for class, Guilford is for [memory lapse], and Clinton is for clams."

If he's living in Madison, his exile isn't too horrible.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 08:57:11 PM »
The article makes it sound like Bellesiles is working as an adjunct professor at Central Connecticut State University. Not a prestigious posting -- CCSU used to be Central Connecticut State Teachers College when I was growing up in Connecticut, and it was one of those colleges people went to if they couldn't get into a "real" college. But Madison, Connecticut, isn't exactly Dogpatch. Madison is located on the Connecticut shoreline, between the towns of Guilford and Clinton. None of them are or ever were Dogpatch but a friend of my ex-wife hailed from Madison. Her catch phrase was "Madison is for class, Guilford is for [memory lapse], and Clinton is for clams."

If he's living in Madison, his exile isn't too horrible.

I'd prefer he neither teach nor write anywhere.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 09:00:03 PM »
I'd prefer he neither teach nor write anywhere.

He might become a half-decent novelist.

(some might say he already is)
                         - Barack Obama

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 12:23:07 AM »
The part at the end where it mentions the numbers of Democrats to Republicans in Universities is pretty shocking. I figured there would be a difference, but not that much.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 08:49:22 AM »
He might become a half-decent novelist.

(some might say he already is)

Fiction does appear to be his calling.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge