Author Topic: Nor any of the other American Military Cemeteries  (Read 609 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Nor any of the other American Military Cemeteries
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 08:11:23 AM »
Great article, thanks for posting.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 08:20:00 AM »
And of course they take a shot(s) at Trump 
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 12:00:38 PM »
After reading the entire article, I found myself wondering why she wrote it. I've been to Normandy and to several of the American cemeteries there (and the one in Luxembourg). The feelings I experienced while standing amid those seemingly endless rows of white crosses and white stars can't be put into words. Ultimately, that trip cost me a relationship. I went with my then-girlfriend. After we got home, she told me she was upset because I hadn't talked about what I was feeling ... so she broke up with me. I guess it was for the best, if she couldn't understand how a veteran who made it home from Vietnam might be affected beyond words by being in the presence of many thousands of comrades-in-arms who didn't make it home from their war.

I guess the article was political, and that's sad. It shouldn't be. It should have been about the men and women who lost their lives, not about politics.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 12:53:42 PM »
It's The Atlantic, so every article is infused with TDS.  I tried to get beyond that and focus on the premise of the article.

And having been to Normandy, Hamm, Henri Chapelle, Ardennes, Lorraine, St Mihiel, the British Cemeteries in Flanders, the French Cemeteries at Verdun and yes, even to German Cemeteries in the same locations, one is struck with the sense of loss that cannot be put into words.

That was one thing that all our battlefield staff rides ended with, a tour of the cemeteries, so we as officers could understand the true cost of our decisions.

When my parents came to visit, we went to a couple of cemeteries, they wanted to visit the graves of the men they knew.  
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 01:33:05 PM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 01:39:15 PM »
Every time I see the cemeteries containing the remains of those who lost their lives in war, I am humbly reminded of how incredibly vacuous, short sighted, willfully ignorant, and downright stupid are the people who believe that humans are inherently good and that governments are benevolent.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 01:45:33 PM »
Every time I see the cemeteries containing the remains of those who lost their lives in war, I am humbly reminded of how incredibly vacuous, short sighted, willfully ignorant, and downright stupid are the people who believe that humans are inherently good and that governments are benevolent.

Hear, hear !

Amy Schumer:

It's The Atlantic, so every article is infused with TDS.  I tried to get beyond that and focus on the premise of the article.

Seems like you can't hardly get anything published nowadays without putting some TDS or anti 2A slant on it.