Author Topic: Complete D-Day Radio Coverage  (Read 588 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Complete D-Day Radio Coverage
« on: June 04, 2019, 08:22:19 AM »
Years ago I got my father a set of cassette tapes of WCBS New York radio's D-Day coverage with anchor Bob Trout. He really enjoyed listening to them, and remembered reports on the radio when he was 9.

The entire day's coverage is now available online: https://archive.org/details/Complete_Broadcast_Day_D-Day and is well worth a listen.

Addresses by Eisenhower, DeGaulle, and other war time leaders and also leaders in exile of occupied nations alerting their people to the invasion. Can't remember if Churchill or King George spoke or not.

Interesting tidbit about D Day... Churchill was adamant that he would accompany the invasion forces and would very likely embark onto the beach on a landing craft at some point.

King George got wind of it and told Churchill that he would accompany him, telling him that if the Prime Minister thought it necessary to accompany the troops that the King, as leader of the armed forces, MUST go.

Churchill didn't go.

Some neat D Day trivia from the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/Q9YNVD851WHmGm6jy9mx1X/24-facts-about-d-day
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Complete D-Day Radio Coverage
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 09:49:43 PM »
The traditional allied death toll for the whole of D-day is given as 2,500. However recent research suggests that it might be around twice that figure.

=|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Complete D-Day Radio Coverage
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 07:47:49 AM »
This is the one that got my attention...

"The fighting during the Battle of Normandy, that followed D-day, was as bloody as it had been in the trenches of the First World War. Casualty rates were slightly higher than they were during a typical day during the Battle of the Somme in 1916."

Obviously the Somme had more than a few atypical days, but still...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.