Author Topic: Manafort Going to Rikers  (Read 1359 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Manafort Going to Rikers
« on: June 04, 2019, 08:39:41 AM »
Low information news article, but I'm trying to think of any white color crime guys involved with previous administrations, either R or D, who were sent anywhere except to a club fed facility. This appears to be the state of NY specifically "sending a message" based on politics and TDS. I'm curious as to whether Manafort's lawyers will be able to use this to his benefit.

Those currently in charge of prosecution in that state are pretty blatantly political in their prosecutions of late.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/what-is-rikers-island
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Manafort Going to Rikers
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 08:59:34 AM »
Manafort is no saint, but he got hit pretty hard just in the pre-trial custody.  I never was sure if he deserved it or if Mueller just had the judge signing off on whatever he wanted.  Sounds like nothing has changed for Manafort as this time the NY DA is getting the judge to do it.

Manafort’s transfer – which is expected as early as Thursday – was ordered by a New York State judge at the request of New York City District Attorney Cyrus Vance, Jr. Manafort will be held in solitary confinement for his own protection, the source told Fox News.
So he is being moved to a more violent prison so he can be put into solitary confinement to "protect" him.  Someone doesn't like this guy.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 09:13:20 AM »
Manafort is no saint, but he got hit pretty hard just in the pre-trial custody.  I never was sure if he deserved it or if Mueller just had the judge signing off on whatever he wanted.  Sounds like nothing has changed for Manafort as this time the NY DA is getting the judge to do it.
So he is being moved to a more violent prison so he can be put into solitary confinement to "protect" him.  Someone doesn't like this guy.

Yeah, from everything reported in the media at least, he probably deserves some kind of criminal punishment. Yet Rikers seems pretty shady to me. At the same time that NY lets violent criminals out due to overcrowding and/or "diversity", they can put this guy in a cell by himself into an already overcrowded Rikers, along with the extra guard workload that goes with it? Smells bad to me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 11:33:31 AM »
As I have stated elsewhere, Mueller was putting the screws to Manafort, Flynn, Papadopoluis, Cohen, etc. to try to get them to "flip" on Trump and confess to colluding with the Russians.  Since there was no collusion, there was no way to "Flip".

Once Barr is done with his probe into the "why" of the FBI and CIA beginnings of the probe, I predict pardons all around...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 12:02:32 PM »

More Alice in Wonderland logic from the liberals.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 12:11:30 PM »
. . . Since there was no collusion, there was no way to "Flip" . . .
With enough . . . "incentive" . . . from prosecutors, a LOT of people will come up with some useful testimony, sometimes even remembering things that never actually happened.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 02:27:45 PM »
With enough . . . "incentive" . . . from prosecutors, a LOT of people will come up with some useful testimony, sometimes even remembering things that never actually happened.

Just like at CNN
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 02:48:49 PM »
Isn't Manafort already in prison in Pennsylvania?  Why would PA extradite him to NY?
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 03:01:35 PM »
Is it OK to shiv a Nazi?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 05:05:06 PM »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 05:42:29 PM »

The judge in his or the Flynn case said as much. Prosecutors want the defendant to sing, but after enough pressure they compose.

Same reason I have my doubts about the guilt of Eddie Gallagher. I was personally pressured by NCIS to confess to something that in no way ever happened and in fact the opposite of what happened. It is what the system does, it gets their man.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 09:25:40 PM »
Manafort spent a good part of his pre-trial confinement in solitary also.  I remember seeing stories about how he looked in bad health.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 09:40:37 PM »
Manafort spent a good part of his pre-trial confinement in solitary also.  I remember seeing stories about how he looked in bad health.

So did Maria Butina, IICR.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 07:33:31 AM »
I’ve read some conflicting stories about Manafort.

Trump invited a lot of his enemies right into his camp so proximity to Trump doesn’t really tell whose side anyone is on.

Our politics is like the Sopranos TV show. One is hard pressed to find any good guys, they’re all bad guys.

The team Trump is playing for appears to be the closest thing to being good guys.

At the minimum they don’t flaunt their hatred of me like every Democrat out there.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2019, 08:52:23 AM »
If I remember right, Manfort was only with the Trump campaign for a few months.  It isn't like he was a long time trusted friend or something.  That is about enough time to realize you messed up on a hire and replace them.