Author Topic: 91 Octane and small engines  (Read 2176 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Re: 91 Octane and small engines
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2019, 10:59:39 PM »
I've gotten sober 91 octane that my chainsaw flat wouldn't run on.  Best as I can figure it was recreational fuel meant for snowmobiling in far north or something, so the vapor pressure was all wrong for summer time use in a 2-cycle.

Usually I get mid-grade (89 octane) as my equipment (riding mower especially) like it better than 87 but it's cheaper and just as good as 91.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 04:29:18 PM »
If it's not an OHV engine, yes. Even moreso than you may realize. Non-OHV small engines are a low-compression flathead with oil-slinger lubrication and magneto-driven ignition. Short of main bearing/bushing inserts rather than babbitt, they're operationally identical to a Model T engine (albeit minus 3 cylinders).

Brad

My 27' sailboat has a 4 cylinder flathead. It's probably closer to a mid '50s tractor engine than a Model-T.
I run ethanol free gas and add Marine Sta-bil, seafoam and Marvel Mystery Oil.
As far as I know it.is the original,  unmolested equipment.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 05:49:26 PM »
My 27' sailboat has a 4 cylinder flathead. It's probably closer to a mid '50s tractor engine than a Model-T.
I run ethanol free gas and add Marine Sta-bil, seafoam and Marvel Mystery Oil.
As far as I know it.is the original,  unmolested equipment.

What mfg? IIRC, industrial & marine flathead engines were common even as late as the mid 80s. Dunno if they all came from one mfg or if a lot of folks were still making them as special-purpose units. My guess is that it was for their mechanical simplicity.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2019, 05:53:37 PM »

Atomic 4?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2019, 07:38:48 PM »
Atomic 4?

Yuppers!
Great little engine when even half a care is given to maintenance.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2019, 09:53:59 AM »

Atomic 4?
Yuppers!

Cool engine. Never heard of them before. Not a bad production run, either (35 years, 1949-1984).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2019, 10:25:14 AM »
There is a company that supports the A-4 called Moyer Marine. They are the go-to supplier of parts.
They recently began making new castings, block, head, manifolds, cranks, pistons... you can literally get a "brand new" 70ish year old engine.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2019, 10:35:49 PM »
Yuppers!

Absolutely. It's a pity they're out of production, but I guess they were overrun by the little YanMar diesels

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2019, 11:22:26 PM »
Moyer Marine has sort of put them back in production, like I said above, you can buy a sort of brand new Atomic-4 today. All new castings, all new block, head and manifolds.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2019, 03:19:48 AM »
Moyer Marine has sort of put them back in production, like I said above, you can buy a sort of brand new Atomic-4 today. All new castings, all new block, head and manifolds.

Are they selling complete engines, or just a box o' parts?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2019, 08:23:09 AM »
They'll sell you a complete engine.
Sailing acquaintance of mine did a rebuilt swap a few years ago in his '80s model Catalina 30. from what I saw the customer service was pretty darn good as well since the guy swapping engines is less than wonderful as a mechanic.

Samuel Adams

castle key

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2019, 01:54:04 PM »
Just refilled my sober gas for small engines.

It's easy to get around here as there are so many boaters, but what a pain waiting for the Richmond visitors to fill up their boats. Buy it at the marina and bring even more money to my area!
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.