Author Topic: About Time (Broward Coward Arrested)  (Read 2373 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: About Time (Broward Coward Arrested)
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2019, 10:09:17 PM »
Wasn't there another resource officer who saw the shooter heading into the school with a rifle bag?  I heard he went and hid out and texted his fellow resource officers.  I am pretty sure that was a different guy. 

Nope. Peterson was the only armed police officer, school resource officer. The guy you're thinking of, and a couple of others, were unarmed school staffers acting as campus monitors.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: About Time (Broward Coward Arrested)
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2019, 10:17:47 PM »
No, they don't.  SCOTUS has ruled that way two or three times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

In a 4-3 decision, the District of Columbia Court of Appeals affirmed the trial courts' dismissal of the complaints against the District of Columbia and individual members of the Metropolitan Police Department based on the public duty doctrine ruling that "the duty to provide public services is owed to the public at large, and, absent a special relationship between the police and an individual, no specific legal duty exists". The Court thus adopted the trial court's determination that no special relationship existed between the police and appellants, and therefore no specific legal duty existed between the police and the appellants.

In the case of Parkland, I would view it that there was a special relationship. Peterson was not a cop on the beat who didn't respond to a call because he was responding to other calls (or sleeping in his black-and-white). He was being paid specifically to be in that school, as the only armed police officer on the site. I respectfully submit that this created a "special relationship."

Secondly, as I noted above, he's not being charged with 34 or even 17 counts. He's being charged with 7 -- which I believe is based on the assumption that if he had acted appropriately, the people on the third floor might have been saved. I think that's reasonable.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design