Author Topic: Most are not that bright, many aren't that competent, but at least they care....  (Read 1154 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
... about the children, right?

https://fox6now.com/2019/06/03/school-apologizes-after-boy-with-autism-given-most-annoying-award/

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/education/teacher-mocks-autistic-student-with-most-annoying-award-parent-complains/article_c97876c4-8587-51d2-b6e9-872bd83378fb.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Teacher gave a non-verbal child with autism a "Most Annoying Male" award.

A SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER, like normal teachers, the ones I am told are specifically educated in order to better understand how children learn and relate.

She singled out a special needs boy to be called "Annoying". In front of the entire school. And, according to the parents, ensured that he took it home with him.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
This act of brilliance comes shortly after another idiot teacher passed out a similar “award” to another artistic student and faced lots of blowback
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
... about the children, right?

https://fox6now.com/2019/06/03/school-apologizes-after-boy-with-autism-given-most-annoying-award/

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/education/teacher-mocks-autistic-student-with-most-annoying-award-parent-complains/article_c97876c4-8587-51d2-b6e9-872bd83378fb.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Teacher gave a non-verbal child with autism a "Most Annoying Male" award.

A SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER, like normal teachers, the ones I am told are specifically educated in order to better understand how children learn and relate.

She singled out a special needs boy to be called "Annoying". In front of the entire school. And, according to the parents, ensured that he took it home with him.

But you wouldn't be saying anything about this if he were white neurotypical. Bigot.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
I find it amazing that nobody can seem to find the appropriate balance between what is actually offensive and what really isn't anymore.

You do not give a joke award like that to ANY child at a school wide event with parents present and you never do it to a child who cannot understand the "joke".

I can see having something like that in an informal classroom environment with all the children being involved and only if they are capable of understanding and taking it in good nature. But it *has* to be done right and if it's not done exactly right, then it doesn't work.

This wasn't that. This was just mean.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
I find it amazing that nobody can seem to find the appropriate balance between what is actually offensive and what really isn't anymore.

You do not give a joke award like that to ANY child at a school wide event with parents present and you never do it to a child who cannot understand the "joke".

I can see having something like that in an informal classroom environment with all the children being involved and only if they are capable of understanding and taking it in good nature. But it *has* to be done right and if it's not done exactly right, then it doesn't work.

And you never do it to an autistic child. 

Dumbasses.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages

That's not an "award" you give to any child.  Autistic or not.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend

But...but....everyone gets an award. What if the annoying bit was the child's most favorable trait? I have an autistic grandson, is he annoying, yep you better believe he is. Does he have a lot of other traits that are worse, probably. Would I call him out on it in front of the school, nope. This falls under the old saying, if you can't say something nice about the kid, don't say anything at all. Is common sense dead? It sure seems so.

bob

MechAg94

• friend
I have to agree.  Why did this award even exist much less exist and be given out at a big gathering.  This is something teachers would get in trouble for doing informally amongst themselves back in the day.  That special needs kids were included in this is even more weird. 

I agree with BlueStarLizzard that there seem to be a bunch of socially tone deaf teachers and administrators at this school.  How did that award even get on the list much less get voted on?  IMO, it shows that a lot of the teachers and administrators there have a mercenary mentality and don't give a damn about the students. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
The article said the award ceremony was an end-of-the-year event held at a Golden Corral restaurant and was for the entire 5th grade.  Makes me think this was a pretty small school/class and maybe only one or two people knew about these awards but I don't know.  Looks like the school may be punishing/firing the teacher.  All these things make me wonder what sort of special needs teacher this is.

The article quotes a school "emergency manager" near the end.  I have no idea what that position is.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Emergency manager = spin doctor?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
The article said the award ceremony was an end-of-the-year event held at a Golden Corral restaurant and was for the entire 5th grade.  Makes me think this was a pretty small school/class and maybe only one or two people knew about these awards but I don't know.  Looks like the school may be punishing/firing the teacher.  All these things make me wonder what sort of special needs teacher this is.

The article quotes a school "emergency manager" near the end.  I have no idea what that position is.

Very likely the superintendent of the schools was removed for incompetence/corruption by the State and the state placed a manager in his stead, until the schools are reformed.

It is Gary, IN we are talking about. The part of Indiana most like Chicago.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend

*shrug* High School age kids could roll with a classroom roast style "awards" and, done right, it can be fun (I actually had a couple teachers that did stuff like that at the end of the year)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jamisjockey

• friend
*shrug* High School age kids could roll with a classroom roast style "awards" and, done right, it can be fun (I actually had a couple teachers that did stuff like that at the end of the year)

Bullshit.  There's no way to do that right.  This is how you end up with school shooters because that's the kid they give it to.
Current parent of teenagers. I get to witness how cruel and mean these kids can be almost every day.  For many of them, there is no "good nature" to it.  They're being raised by aholes and becoming perfect little aholes.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grampster

• friend
Way back in 1961 a classmate and I were to put together the humorous description of every one of us in our graduating class.  We uniformly mocked everybody...except one.  We forgot her entirely.  She told me at our 30th reunion that she still feels bad about being left out, even though she understood that we just simply goofed up.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
Bullshit.  There's no way to do that right.  This is how you end up with school shooters because that's the kid they give it to.
Current parent of teenagers. I get to witness how cruel and mean these kids can be almost every day.  For many of them, there is no "good nature" to it.  They're being raised by aholes and becoming perfect little aholes.

and obviously, trying at all costs to shield and protect them from aholes and insults is working out just great from our society as a whole.  ;/

Half the *expletive deleted*ing problem (and the school shooting) is none of the special snowflakes know how to take a *expletive deleted*ing insult anymore. Instead of turning on the bully, calling them out and laughing them off, We've taught MULTIPLE GENERATIONS that the words matter so damn much they should be offended and upset by EVERYTHING that hurts their feelings. Every one of them takes it so seriously that they don't know how to cope.

So, yes, teaching kids to laugh at insults instead of crying at them could possible be the better answer. Because, you know what? Teenagers have always been horrible little monsters to each other, but they didn't *expletive deleted*ing shoot each other over it until now.

Finally, don't you dare tell me I don't know what it's like. I *was* that kid that got bullied mercilessly. I had NO FRIENDS (none, nadda, zip) in middle school. I was everyone's punching bag. They way I survived was learning to be an ahole right back.

Jamisjockey

• friend
and obviously, trying at all costs to shield and protect them from aholes and insults is working out just great from our society as a whole.  ;/

Half the *expletive deleted*ing problem (and the school shooting) is none of the special snowflakes know how to take a *expletive deleted*ing insult anymore. Instead of turning on the bully, calling them out and laughing them off, We've taught MULTIPLE GENERATIONS that the words matter so damn much they should be offended and upset by EVERYTHING that hurts their feelings. Every one of them takes it so seriously that they don't know how to cope.

So, yes, teaching kids to laugh at insults instead of crying at them could possible be the better answer. Because, you know what? Teenagers have always been horrible little monsters to each other, but they didn't *expletive deleted*ing shoot each other over it until now.

Finally, don't you dare tell me I don't know what it's like. I *was* that kid that got bullied mercilessly. I had NO FRIENDS (none, nadda, zip) in middle school. I was everyone's punching bag. They way I survived was learning to be an ahole right back.

You're kidding, right? 
You think it would be okay for institutionalized bullying via "most annoying kid" awards?
Naive and delusional. 
My kids aren't in school for the school to toughen them up.  They're there for basic education.
JD