Author Topic: windows 10 upgrade questions  (Read 1814 times)

brimic

• friends
windows 10 upgrade questions
« on: June 06, 2019, 10:37:55 AM »
I have a laptop running widows 7 which I resisted upgrading to 10, until now.
I want to run a CNC controller (Centroid Acorn) on it which appears to require windows 10 , so now I might need to upgrade the OS or purchase another laptop.

Will I need to back up all of my data before doing an upgrade, or is it as simple as downloading Win10 to a usb drive, install from the USB and enter a license?

I noted that Windows 10 licenses can be purchased on amazon for around $15...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: windows 10 upgrade questions
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 10:40:06 AM »
Back it up! MOST of the time it goes fine, but not EVERY time. How much can you afford to lose?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 11:27:06 AM »
I haven't read through the article yet, but apparently, free Win10 upgrades are still available:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 11:34:47 AM »
I'd be tempted to image the disk, not just run a backup (two images, preferably, and on two different devices). Much easier to restore an image than to reload an OS and deal with all the associated hooha of getting all your apps and programs back up and running.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 11:40:43 AM »
I haven't read through the article yet, but apparently, free Win10 upgrades are still available:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

I read through that earlier, but couldn't figure out what they were talking about...

I'd be tempted to image the disk, not just run a backup (two images, preferably, and on two different devices). Much easier to restore an image than to reload an OS and deal with all the associated hooha of getting all your apps and programs back up and running.

Most of the stuff on the computer now is tax records, wife's business records, and pictures... I was thinking about transferring it to my external HDD anyway.
I was looking at the minimum requirements of the software, and found that this laptop is right at the minimum, so I might be better off buying another laptop with windows 10 already installed...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 11:41:12 AM »

Brad

+1. This is pretty much all I do anymore other than separate, more frequent backups for a single data directory. Monthly disk clone to a separate, identical SSD to what is running on my computer. If anything ever goes FUBAR, it's five minutes to swap SSDs and be pretty much right back where I was.

Before I do the Win10 move later this year, I will absolutely do a clone immediately beforehand.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 12:32:58 PM »
Macrium Reflect Free is what I use as an auto-backup for all my systems. Works great! By Backup, I mean Full and Differential.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 03:47:00 PM »
I have a laptop running widows 7 which I resisted upgrading to 10, until now.
I want to run a CNC controller (Centroid Acorn) on it which appears to require windows 10 , so now I might need to upgrade the OS or purchase another laptop.

Will I need to back up all of my data before doing an upgrade, or is it as simple as downloading Win10 to a usb drive, install from the USB and enter a license?

You should anyway, but no, you don't need to.   

go here, click "update now", follow the bouncing ball.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 04:32:39 PM »

You should anyway, but no, you don't need to.   

go here, click "update now", follow the bouncing ball.

I'd like to add that there's no need to buy any license. If you're already activated with 7, 10 will activate automatically. As a side note, any Windows keys you buy for $15 will either be pirated, or old Technet keys that are subject to deactivation once Microsoft finds out that someone's been selling them.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 05:13:54 PM »
I'd like to add that there's no need to buy any license. If you're already activated with 7, 10 will activate automatically.

What about going from win7 home to win10 pro? That's the path I'll be taking.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 05:57:04 PM »
What about going from win7 home to win10 pro? That's the path I'll be taking.

Sorry, same version only. Home to home, pro to pro. So it looks like you'll actually need a license. Stick to big retailers for the new copy though. Best way to make sure you get a legit copy.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 07:16:19 PM »
Sorry, same version only. Home to home, pro to pro. So it looks like you'll actually need a license. Stick to big retailers for the new copy though. Best way to make sure you get a legit copy.

Okay, thanks!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 07:23:44 PM »

If I can find it, I have an Acer Aspire One netbook on Windows 7 Starter Edition -- which normally wasn't even sold in the U.S. but was the native software for the Aspire One. The Aspire One meets the bare minimum requirements for Windows 10 -- will it update using that link?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 08:14:20 PM »
It should upgrade to Home.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2019, 08:20:38 PM »
Okay, thanks!

Actually, you might save a bit of coin by upgrading to Home, then upgrading that to Pro via the Windows Store.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12384/windows-10-upgrading-home-to-pro

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2019, 08:58:14 PM »
If I can find it, I have an Acer Aspire One netbook on Windows 7 Starter Edition -- which normally wasn't even sold in the U.S. but was the native software for the Aspire One. The Aspire One meets the bare minimum requirements for Windows 10 -- will it update using that link?

Yes, but you seriously don't want to do it.  

It will upgrade to Home, but on that hardware, even maxed out, will be almost unusable.  

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2019, 09:09:40 PM »
Actually, you might save a bit of coin by upgrading to Home, then upgrading that to Pro via the Windows Store.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12384/windows-10-upgrading-home-to-pro

Thanks again!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2019, 10:32:18 PM »
Yes, but you seriously don't want to do it.  

It will upgrade to Home, but on that hardware, even maxed out, will be almost unusable.  

That's what I was afraid of. Maybe it's a good thing I don't know where I put it ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2019, 12:13:03 PM »
Speaking of W10: Update 1903 is downloading now and it looks to be a big one
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2019, 02:11:47 PM »
Speaking of W10: Update 1903 is downloading now and it looks to be a big one

I've done 1903 on everything in reach, no problems yet.