Author Topic: Do-it-yourself dilemma  (Read 2709 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Do-it-yourself dilemma
« on: June 06, 2019, 04:27:43 PM »
I set out to make a new battery hold-down for my riding mower. Shouldn't be any big deal -- two J-bolts (actually just straight rods with a small, L-shaped leg on the bottom and with the top threaded), and a cross bar that spans the battery.

The holes in the tractor battery shelf are too small for 1/4" rods, so I decided to use 3/16". Well, for starters, Lowe's didn't have any 3/16" round steel rod, so I had to trek to Home Depot. They had it. Fine.

I've checked multiple web sites, and they all tell me that a #10-24 bolt has a major diameter of .1890". 3/16" rod is .1875" in diameter. I figured that, for a non-critical application like a battery hold-down, the loss of .0015" off the major diameter wouldn't matter. So I clamped the rod in a vise, dug out my tap and die set ... and found that I could NOT get a 10-24 die to even think about starting on the rod. I had to use a 12-24 die. I had bought some 10-24 wing nuts. Naturally, they wouldn't fit.

http://www.fasnetdirect.com/refguide/Machinescrewthreads.pdf

So today I went back to Lowe's in search of 12-24 wing nuts. And ... they don't have them. They don't have ANY nuts, bolts, or washers in the #12 size. They skip from #10 right to 1/4-inch. So I'm going to have to order some 12-24 nuts from Amazon.

But I can't figure out what's wrong here. 3/16" is .1875. The minor diameter for a #12 thread is supposed to be .2078" -- a 3/16" rod should fit right into that and, when I tested it on the thread sample board at Lowe's, it did.

If the major diameter for a #10 thread is .1890" and a 3/16" rod is .1875" -- why couldn't I thread it using a 10-24 die? Why did I have to use a 12-14 die?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Do-it-yourself dilemma
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 07:25:46 PM »
A whole lot like that, in fact.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 07:40:10 PM »
So either the rod you bought isn't 3/16, or the die you used isn't 10-24.

Did you put calipers on the rod?  Perhaps some jerk put some 5mm rod in the 3/16" box?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 10:51:45 PM »
Not for this case, but I screwed (no pun) myself oncet on accounta I had reset the zero on my sooooper-doooper 'lectonic calipers accidentally and unknowingly.

Drove me nuts for a while wondering why this male thing didn't gazinta that female thing.

I now rezero almost religiously before measuring.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 11:24:33 PM »
I needed a battery hold-down for my dad's old John Deere tractor.  I used some small diameter polypropylene rope; tied a trucker's hitch to cinch it down tight.  That was a couple of years ago and it's still tight and the rope hasn't degraded from the acid.
"It's good, though..."

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 06:55:04 AM »
If a 10-24 die will not start on a rod a tad less in diameter than the finished thread, something isn't as labeled.

By the way, if it was me, I think I would just use all thread if I got to the store and they didn't have the right nuts.

As an aside, number 12 screws seem to be fading away.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 07:26:36 AM »
I needed a battery hold-down for my dad's old John Deere tractor.  I used some small diameter polypropylene rope; tied a trucker's hitch to cinch it down tight.  That was a couple of years ago and it's still tight and the rope hasn't degraded from the acid.

I used a 24" zip tie on my [lawn] tractor battery.  Works great.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 08:13:10 AM »
No det cord?

Slackers.

I agree, something wasn't labeled correctly.

Oh, and if you have a complete tap & die set, make your own nuts out of bar stock. I've done that before for non critical hold applications.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 10:47:46 AM »
Did you measure the rods? They are probably hot rolled steel and may just be 'close-enough' for their nominal labeled diameter. Plus, the pieces are likely to be cut off using some sort of shear, distorting the ends even more ('upsetting' -making thicker).
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 01:15:11 PM »
I did measure the rods. 3/16" is .1875". The rods (at least the one I'm using) measure .1850", so slightly undersized for what's supposed to be a #10 screw shank. And I know about upsetting -- I always dress the end with a file or roll it against a grinding wheel to clean up the end and apply a slight chamfer before I try to thread.

But then, last night, I found an unopened pack of 10-24 machine screws I had apparently bought at Lowe's for some long-forgotten project that never happened. I measured one of those, and came up with .180". (According to the standards I've found on-line, that major diameter is less than the specified minor diameter for a 10-24 thread.) The ID of a Lowe's 10-24 nut (measured with a caliper, which is not perfect) is only .150". The specified minor diameter for 10-24 is .1818". Can we say "interference fit," class? Of course we can!

So it appears the Chinese hardware the big box stores are selling today don't meet the standards. Lowe's doesn't sell any 12-24 or 12-32 nuts, bolts, or screws, so I ordered some 12-24 nuts from Amazon. If that doesn't work, I'll take the Lowe's 10-24 wing nuts and drill them out and retap them for 12-24 to match my threaded rod.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 01:24:42 PM »
Sounds like a major conundrum...

of minor importance.

That's a slow pitch...

Just read up again on major, minor, and pitch diameter. Been awhile.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

griz

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 02:04:39 PM »
You may be confusing the minimum major diameter with the minor diameter.  For a 10-24 thread the minor diameter is about 0.138 depending on the class of fit.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 03:15:49 PM »
Just a thought... are you sure it's not metric thread?

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2019, 03:29:10 PM »
You may be confusing the minimum major diameter with the minor diameter.  For a 10-24 thread the minor diameter is about 0.138 depending on the class of fit.

Perhaps, but there's no confusing that the nominal size for a 10-24 thread is .190", and the major diameter should fall within a range of .1890 to .1818. A rod with a diameter of .1850 is well within that range, yet I could not get a 10-24 die to even start on the rof, even after dressing and chamfering the end. And there's no confusing the fact that the 10-24 machine screw I took out of a sealed baggie and measured was only .180, which is smaller than the purported minimum standard of .1818.

Conversely, the nominal diameter for a 12-24 thread is .216. The major diameter range is .2150 to .2078. I can't find any charts on-line that give the minor diameter for a 12-24 but, when I was at Home Depot buying the rod, I stuck the end of it into the 12-24 female thread on their bolt sizer and it went in. So the minor diameter of 212-24 should be larger than my .1850 rod, yet I was able to put a real thread on it using a 12-24 die.

'Tis indeed a conundrum. I'll make it work, but what should have been an easy project has become a minor PITA project.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2019, 03:29:37 PM »
Just a thought... are you sure it's not metric thread?

Yes.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 05:22:37 PM »
It sounds like the only reasonable solution to your battery tie down problem is to procure a lathe for your work space, and single point cut your threads until they fit.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2019, 05:24:23 PM »
All-thread? Or maybe the units I linked above (a mere $8.50)? Seems you're going to a lot of trouble and expense for something that doesn't really merit it when there are multiple convenient and cost-effective alternatives.

Brad
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2019, 10:16:13 PM »
All-thread? Or maybe the units I linked above (a mere $8.50)? Seems you're going to a lot of trouble and expense for something that doesn't really merit it when there are multiple convenient and cost-effective alternatives.

Initially, I wanted a new hold-down NOW, so the easiest solution seemed to be buying a length of rod (which is supposed to be the right size for a standard #10 screw thread, cut a couple of pieces to length, bend over one end of each, and thread the opposite ends.

Except that nothing is as it should be. It would still be simple if Lowe's or Home Despot carried #12 machine screws, but NOOOOOOOOO. I guess #12 is to close to quarter inch, so they jump straight from #10 to quarter inch.

What I ended up doing was to take the 10-24 wingnuts I bought, which didn't fit, and drilling them out and retapping them to 12-24.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2019, 10:20:58 PM »
Have you tried turning it off then turning it back on again?

=D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2019, 11:18:39 PM »
Question: Why not just enlarge the holes so you can use 1/4"?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2019, 03:22:19 AM »
Question: Why not just enlarge the holes so you can use 1/4"?

The mower is a very old Wheel Horse that I inherited from my mother. I don't want to modify it. The battery hold-down has disappeared, so I much prefer to make the hold-down fit the tractor rather than the opposite.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2019, 03:39:27 AM »
Did you try going to an Ace or other local hardware store ??  They generally have a better selection and people that know what they are doing.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2019, 04:01:53 AM »
Did you try going to an Ace or other local hardware store ??  They generally have a better selection and people that know what they are doing.

Too far. There used to be a Sears Hardware store within a tolerable distance, but that closes maybe a year or a year and a half ago.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2019, 06:33:19 AM »
Do you have some kind of small knock off Home Depot/Lowes?

They normally carry #12 hardware. I just checked, and the ones around here have both #12 machine screws and wing nuts in stock.

I thought the big boxes were more homogenized than that.