Author Topic: Do-it-yourself dilemma  (Read 2719 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Do-it-yourself dilemma
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2019, 12:54:45 PM »
Between Lowe's and Home Despot, all the local lumberyards/hardware stores I used to have access to have gone out of business. There are still Ace and TrueValue stores in the county, but not convenient to me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2019, 02:44:18 PM »
I see a McMaster-Carr account in your future.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2019, 02:54:40 PM »
I see a McMaster-Carr account in your future.

Meh.

I used to have a great fastener store, called "The Nutty Company," that was located about 15 minutes away, about a block and a half from the nearest Home Despot. I could get just about anything there. Then Home Despot opened up, and a couple of years later The Nutty Company relocated. They're now about 45 minutes away. There was also a great, locally-owned lumber yard a block away from the Home Despot location. Also gone within a year or two after Home Despot opened.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2019, 03:18:37 PM »
FWIW, I've had a lot of success buying assortment's online (or at Harbor Freight) when I need a bolt or two, or a nut or two.

You can get a lot of fasteners online pretty cheap if you can wait a day or two, and then you have them the next time.  I have some decent bench stock now.