Author Topic: Residents See Purple Water After Pump Malfunction  (Read 793 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Residents See Purple Water After Pump Malfunction
« on: June 07, 2019, 10:06:38 AM »
https://abc13.com/amp/home/residents-see-purple-water-after-pump-malfunction/5329468/?__twitter_impression=true
Hundreds of people in Coal Grove, Ohio turned on their faucets Monday to see something unexpected - purple water.
I think purple water would bug me quite a bit.  I would probably be leaving the water on for a week.  

"Once it's diluted out, it's not dangerous at all," Stephen Burchett, water treatment plant operator, said.

Burchett said the vibrant color was caused by a pump malfunction; it dumped too much sodium permanganate into the water.

(edit:  that title in all caps was bugging me)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 07:39:27 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: RESIDENTS SEE PURPLE WATER AFTER PUMP MALFUNCTION
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 12:59:10 PM »
3.6 roentgen. Not great, not terrible
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: RESIDENTS SEE PURPLE WATER AFTER PUMP MALFUNCTION
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 07:04:34 PM »
3.6 roentgen. Not great, not terrible

Didn't realize Mn had a radioactive isotope, Mn53.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 07:26:02 PM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Residents See Purple Water After Pump Malfunction
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 10:29:10 PM »
Potassium permanganate I have in abundance and use fairly regularly. I have no use for sodium permanganate.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 02:32:03 AM »
^ Now I'm curious.  What for?*  And what with K40, it ought to be slightly more radioactive.  (Not that it's a lot, but it would scare some people.  I remember telling someone that their salt substitute (KCl) was radioactive and they freaked out a bit.  I was just being a smartass and made the remark in passing.)

* Added later:  For steam generation as in the V-2 rocket?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 03:05:17 AM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 08:25:07 AM »
Potassium permanganate is used as a photographic bleach/reducer. Bleaching is a step in toning photographic prints (sepia, selenium...)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 09:15:59 AM »
^ Now I'm curious.  What for?*  And what with K40, it ought to be slightly more radioactive.  (Not that it's a lot, but it would scare some people.  I remember telling someone that their salt substitute (KCl) was radioactive and they freaked out a bit.  I was just being a smartass and made the remark in passing.)

* Added later:  For steam generation as in the V-2 rocket?

Mine was a Chernobyl reference where one of the managers supposedly said that blowing off the problem because certain meters where showing 3.6 which just so happened to the max for that type.  He dismissed as malfunctioning all the other meters showing way way way higher,

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 12:41:46 PM »
Potassium permanganate is a great fire started with glycerin.   Used is as a magic fire starter for my Cub Scouts back in the day.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

230RN

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 04:29:20 AM »
^
Hadda look that one up.  Ought not about the same thing happen with alcohols and low carbohydrates?

Side note:  I was amused to find that kosher glycerin is available on the market.  Kinda curious about that, not being Jewish.  Glycerin is a food item ?  Not being a culinary person, either.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 04:43:21 AM by 230RN »

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 07:32:04 AM »
^
Hadda look that one up.  Ought not about the same thing happen with alcohols and low carbohydrates?

Side note:  I was amused to find that kosher glycerin is available on the market.  Kinda curious about that, not being Jewish.  Glycerin is a food item ?  Not being a culinary person, either.

Terry, 230RN

Isn't glycerin taken as medication for something?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 07:41:46 AM »
Isn't glycerin taken as medication for something?

I have a passing familiarity with glycerin suppositories.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 07:45:19 AM »
NITROglycerin, where the three OHs (see image) have been replaced by nitrates (NO3) is used for heart conditions since it is a vasodilator.

Glycerin, before making into nitroglycerin:

It's also a too-sensitive explosive.  When mixed with various inert powders it forms dynamite, which is less sensitive.  However, the fumes get to people who handle it routinely and since it is a vasodilator, it causes severe headaches.  Its inventor was subject to these headaches.

Pure un-nitrated glycerin(e) is used as a skin emollient, and I guess, according to RKL, a lubricant for defecation.

I was wondering about "kosher" un-nitrated glycerin, though.

Terry
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 08:03:27 AM by 230RN »

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 11:06:11 AM »
Glycerin is added to a wide variety of skin care, hair care & food products. If you wan ta kosher end product, all ingredients need to be kosher.