Author Topic: Question about a Sony HandyCam  (Read 877 times)

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Question about a Sony HandyCam
« on: June 09, 2019, 10:51:28 PM »
Looking into live streaming on Facebook for my church. Have been exploring the confusing world of video cameras. Don't want to use a standard webcam. They are too wide. I want a zoomable camera. The camera will be about 60 feet away from the front of the church. This camera also has a shotgun hot shoe mic that adjust to the zoom range of the camera. This will help cut down on noises from the congregation. (hopefully)

Do any of you know if the Sony CX675 HandyCam can plug into a USB 3.0 port and function as a live cam or will I have to sign on with what they call Ustream.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Question about a Sony HandyCam
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 10:16:25 AM »
No experience with the Sony, but firsthand experience with the Canon VIXIA RF H80 for livestream use. Requires separate power via the included AC power adapter. Otherwise it works well.

You can also use a DSLR that's video capable. Lots of used stuff available out there for decently cheap prices.

For sound, is there a monitor output on the sound system? A headphone jack will work in a pinch, though you have to be careful not to overboost the signal. That's the best way to capture sound. Monitor Out > Camera External Mic Input. Onboard mics just don't work very well unless you are standing in direct proximity of the camera.

Keep in mind you'll also need a video encoder, either standalone or as a peripheral/card. Some video cards have built-in encoding. Check your computer's specs to see.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 01:17:03 PM »
This sony camcorder is supposed to be stream capable without the capture video encoder. It states in the manual that it will stream live to Ustream. Just wondering if its ustream only or if the computer will recognize the camera.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 02:12:10 PM »
I'm guessing it's an included app that connects with the ustream service. I've never heard of them but it looks like they're part of IBM.

http://www.ustream.tv/explore/all

Not real jazzed about the video quality but it'll do until y'all can get a few more components and be able to have a higher res feed.

Streaming video chews up a lot of bandwidth and goes through data like a fat kid through a doughnut. Check your internet service plan to make sure your network and internet connection can handle the load. An 858x480 (standard def TV) feed will require at least 4-5 Mb sustained upload speeds, and that's presuming you have no other significant congruent usage. If you want HD, minimum of 7-10 Mb.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 10:17:11 PM »
Thanks for the input Brad.

This week I’m going to call Adorama and ask them about this issue.

We have a lousy upload. That will be fixed in a few months. I’ve been streaming it off an iPad.  We have a basic webcam but are having issues with the connection from the computer to the router. Also will be fixed I. A few months. Waiting for AT&T contracts to expire.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk