Author Topic: Southwest Texas must be getting clobbered  (Read 778 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Southwest Texas must be getting clobbered
« on: June 10, 2019, 04:04:30 AM »
I've never seen green patches in the Satellite IR-enhanced images before.  Really cold high altitude clouds.

What's it like on the ground?

Attahment as of about 1:50 AM MST 10 Jun 2019

Source,  current for when you click on it:
https://www.goes.noaa.gov/WCIR4.html

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Southwest Texas must be getting clobbered
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 06:14:31 AM »
Doesn't look too bad on radar.  Tops around 30k.  No heavy returns.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 06:24:17 AM »
Got family in Dallas they said it was pretty rough. Power out, trees down, cell service knocked out, etc.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 09:59:55 AM »
Talked to my cousin's son who's in Lajitas. Lots of rain and wind. Otherwise just a big springtime thunderstorm system rolling through. A little larger than average, but not unheard of.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 10:47:45 AM »
I'm just outside of Austin. Weathermen were in a panic last night, said there were multiple tornado warnings all across the Austin metro area. But they (the warnings, not the weathermen  ;) ) expired a little after 7, the storms blew through and dropped about an inch of rain in under an hour at my place, and no damaging winds here. But thunder stayed audible for about 4 hours.

Some place north or west of here had tennis ball size hail - they showed video of someone's back yard and you could see BIG hailstones bouncing on their lawn. Bet the storm chasing roofers are already on their way to that area.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 09:18:29 PM »
I'm just outside of Austin. Weathermen were in a panic last night, said there were multiple tornado warnings all across the Austin metro area. But they (the warnings, not the weathermen  ;) ) expired a little after 7, the storms blew through and dropped about an inch of rain in under an hour at my place, and no damaging winds here. But thunder stayed audible for about 4 hours.

Some place north or west of here had tennis ball size hail - they showed video of someone's back yard and you could see BIG hailstones bouncing on their lawn. Bet the storm chasing roofers are already on their way to that area.

That's what I figured for the green areas in that attached satellite image in the OP.  But my screen shot was about 2AM.  It's apparently pretty sparsely populated out there, so maybe not much to report.  Oh, well.  I just wondered what was happening on the ground under those very cold green areas.

How to determine temperatures, from the blurb under the IR image at the iinked site.  I use "Enhancement 4" just because that's what I'm used to looking at over the years:

» Enhancement types
 In an infrared (IR) image cold clouds are high clouds, so the colors typically highlight the colder regions. The bar on the right side of the image indicates the pixel brightness values for the corresponding color. The intensity value represents emitted infrared radiation. The intensity of a pixel is recorded as a digital number (for example, in these images the numbers range from 0 to 255.) You can determine temperatures using one of the formulas below:

If B > 176, T = 418 - B; or
 if B <= 176, T = 330 - (B/2)

Note that the resulting temperatures are in Kelvin.

To calculate the resulting Kelvin temperature to Fahrenheit: (K - 273.15) x 1.8 + 32.00.

To calculate the resulting Kelvin temperature to Celsius: C = K - 273.

(B = Brightness value; T = Temperature; F = Fahrenheit; C = Celsius)

I don't know why they don't just post the temperatures on that color scale instead of the pixel values.

Terry
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 09:44:47 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.