Author Topic: Hundreds Of Farmers Stay Silent During Auction  (Read 1716 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Hundreds Of Farmers Stay Silent During Auction
« on: June 10, 2019, 09:25:15 AM »
https://www.sunnyskyz.com/good-news/3337/Hundreds-Of-Farmers-Stay-Silent-During-Auction-So-Family-Can-Buy-Back-Their-Family-Farm?fbclid=IwAR1r2QnBtCBJyrGFjEIzxiF2Cm0Q_foFT-LXobCOwe_9UlqZdhinxSlg-_A

Hundreds of farmers in Nebraska stood in silence during an auction so that a young man could buy back his family's farm.
After David and his father placed their bid, not a single person spoke up.

As it turns out, those 200 farmers did not attempt to bid because they wanted the family to get their land back.

After many attempts to solicit another bid, the Auctioneer took a break. Three times they took breaks, and each time everyone remained completely silent. Eventually, the auctioneer had to slam down the gavel and give David and his father the winning bid.

Short article, but interesting.  Sounds like word got around.  I figured there would be at least one person who didn't care. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Hundreds Of Farmers Stay Silent During Auction
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 09:58:05 AM »
Farming communities tend to be very tight knit. They are highly resentful of the slow sell-off (or eminent domain seizure) of land for development and expansion. Any time they can get land back in the hands of locals, or back to a family with a long and respected community history, they usually act on it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 10:03:37 AM »
Awesome!   =D

I wonder what the winning bid was?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 10:09:51 AM »
It's a nice story, but without any mention of where it happened or the last name of the family that bought back the farm, IMHO it has very little credibility.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 10:22:24 AM »
It's a nice story, but without any mention of where it happened or the last name of the family that bought back the farm, IMHO it has very little credibility.

Well, just look at the name of the website..... sunny skyz. I would bet they have hundreds of those uplifting, inspirational stories for you to read and make you feel there is hope for the human race. Frickin' optimists, they are everywhere!! :(

bob

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 10:41:15 AM »
Badly written article - for example, they never mention what the bid was.

Back in the 1930s during the Depression when farms were being foreclosed, there were penny auctions - the owners bid pennies on their own farms and equipment, their neighbors stood mute, and the farmers kept their land. Banks weren't happy at all, and termed these penny auctions "illegal." (It was the Depression, and the general public had little sympathy for banks.)

Looks like the same spirit is still alive in rural America.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 10:47:09 AM »

Good question. A quick google picks up the story on only a few sites, all of which specialize in "inspirational" stories. Outside those few mentions, nothing. Now you have me suspecting it's legitimacy as an actual story versus a feel-good fictional piece.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 11:25:01 AM »
I did a little googling, and came to the conclusion that this falls under the "Stuff that never happened" umbrella.  There's a couple variations, but this story popped up and circulated the click-bait, ad revenue sites like a classic viral fiction.

Entertainingly in my 20 min google I found this blog from a guy in the business of farm auctions.  He has a different take and mentions some things I didn't consider in the first reading:
https://blog.dreamdirt.com/farmland-auctions/our-response-to-the-viral-story-farmers-stay-silent-during-auctions-so-young-man-can-win-the-bid-on-his-long-lost-family-farm

excerpts from the above linked blog:

Has anybody stopped to think that a seller had to be financially harmed in order for this story to made?  What about the person that owned the farm?  Have we come to a point we are willing to take somebodies property from them by mass community decision now and reassign it to another party with no regard for the owners interest?

Next, how did these farmers know not to bid against them? There were 200 of them right?  Was there collusion? Did they all agree ahead of time not to bid?....My friend Mike Bradley wrote about collusion at auctions and it's certainly an issue with this story and means that if the story were true the farm was bought through an illegal act

Let's not forget, as "heartwarming" as the story is there is a victim here, the seller of the farm.  An actual person was selling the farm

And that's my time as a wet blanket for the day, please return to cats on roombas and otter memes.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 11:53:23 AM »
Fake story at best, racketeering at worst.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 11:54:41 AM »
That’s the risk you take at an auction, especially without a reserve.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 05:28:52 PM »
That’s the risk you take at an auction, especially without a reserve.
That was my thought about dogmush's link.  If you wanted protection, don't go for an auction.  Perhaps I make the assumption that an auction meant it was a bank selling it or came from a foreclosure.  

Where I grew up, just about any reasonable section of land will sell even if it is just someone looking for a weekend place or a hunting lease.  We had Houston, Austin, and San Antonio within driving distance.  

The truth could also be that this particular plot of land is worthless and no one else wanted it except someone with a family history there.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 05:35:13 PM »
Never happen in Iowa, someone else will bid, if not the local farmers a farm management company or land investor will buy it.

Story is BS, seen it a few times with same picture and other regions of the Midwest mentioned.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 09:17:21 PM »
Seems to have been written at about a 4th grade level.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 10:32:24 PM »

It was that same county where the preteen sporting clays champion shot that illegal alien home invader right in the junk.

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/11-yr-old-shoots-illegals.124258/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 12:01:14 AM »
Unsold movie plot?

Disney come-from-behind comeuppance script #371.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 01:32:46 AM »
I vaguely recall an episode of Little House on the Prairie that had this exact plot.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 09:14:31 AM »
I vaguely recall an episode of Little House on the Prairie that had this exact plot.

Episode 3 of Damnation did too, but it involved firearms.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 10:24:54 AM »
Well, Disney leases out that plot #371 and lets the lessee develop whatever treatment of it they want.  No extra charge.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:53:31 AM by 230RN »

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 10:26:25 AM »
I did a little googling, and came to the conclusion that this falls under the "Stuff that never happened" umbrella.  There's a couple variations, but this story popped up and circulated the click-bait, ad revenue sites like a classic viral fiction.

Entertainingly in my 20 min google I found this blog from a guy in the business of farm auctions.  He has a different take and mentions some things I didn't consider in the first reading:
https://blog.dreamdirt.com/farmland-auctions/our-response-to-the-viral-story-farmers-stay-silent-during-auctions-so-young-man-can-win-the-bid-on-his-long-lost-family-farm

excerpts from the above linked blog:

And that's my time as a wet blanket for the day, please return to cats on roombas and otter memes.

Collusion to not buy something is called a boycott, and is perfectly legal.

If the bank doesn't want to be soaked, it is their responsibility to set a minimum reserve and properly advertise the auction.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 10:46:51 AM »
Collusion to not buy something is called a boycott, and is perfectly legal.

If the bank doesn't want to be soaked, it is their responsibility to set a minimum reserve and properly advertise the auction.

It isn't legal if people show up to bid and you threaten them into not bidding...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 02:02:31 PM »
Worst case the bank representative would bid to buy it.