Author Topic: Gay Pride Flag and US Embassies  (Read 3145 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Gay Pride Flag and US Embassies
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 09:45:28 AM »
Many on the American left see the American flag as a symbol of hate and oppression.

I would say a few, not many.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2019, 09:50:05 AM »
I would say there's been a pretty good uptick in the pass 10 years or so. It's become the fashionable "woke" thing to do for some.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2019, 09:53:48 AM »
I would say there's been a pretty good uptick in the pass 10 years or so. It's become the fashionable "woke" thing to do for some.

Every Democrat claiming to run for president has been passing through town pleading there case. I've seen more US Flags at these rallies then I have at past GOP campaign rallies. I live in Iowa, so it's a thing to hit this state hard between now and the 2020 caucus.

I say it's a few because if it was many, you'd see a lot more left leaning folks not displaying the flag or even wearing clothes with the flag crossed out. I think you just see it because you don't like it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2019, 10:04:41 AM »
I'm not saying mainstream candidates have that view, at least publicly, but you also know even if they did they have to at least maintain the illusion of appealing to the center.

I'm still kind of old fashion in that when I say left I think of communist and other groups. What is considered far left now was simply called the left back in my day. Now you have extreme far left, far left, left, center, right, far right, extreme far right. Although many of the lines are burred. Maybe I need to update my terminology but It's lately gotten hard to keep up where anybody fits anymore. I'm so confused!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

brimic

• friends
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2019, 10:33:02 AM »
Probably because burning a rainbow flag would be similar to burning a cross, it is seen as a symbol of hate.

:rofl:

Everything action is a 'symbol of hate' if its done by anyone outside of the correct party. Free speech seems to only apply to some people.

Burn a rainbow flag- you're a nazi.
Burn an Israeli flag- you're woke.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/7851/watch-israeliamerican-flags-burned-leftists-robert-kraychik
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2019, 10:48:46 AM »
Sometimes “hate” is appropriate.

HATE, verb transitive [Latin odi, for hodi.]

1. To dislike greatly; to have a great aversion to. It expresses less than abhor, detest, and abominate, unless pronounced with a peculiar emphasis.

How long will fools hate knowledge? Proverbs 1:22.

Blessed are ye when men shall hate you. Luke 6:22.

The Roman tyrant was contented to be hated, if he was but feared.

2. In Scripture, it signifies to love less.

If any man come to me, and hate not father and mother, etc. Luke 14:26.

He that spareth the rod, hateth his son. Proverbs 13:24.

HATE, noun Great dislike or aversion; hatred.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2019, 11:09:10 AM »
I would say a few, not many.
I would say too many.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2019, 04:48:41 PM »
Every Democrat claiming to run for president has been passing through town pleading there case. I've seen more US Flags at these rallies then I have at past GOP campaign rallies. I live in Iowa, so it's a thing to hit this state hard between now and the 2020 caucus.

I say it's a few because if it was many, you'd see a lot more left leaning folks not displaying the flag or even wearing clothes with the flag crossed out. I think you just see it because you don't like it.

I disagree.

Remember, when Hillary was campaigning during the last presidential election cycle she showed up at an event and didn't have any American flags on the stage. This resulted in a significant backlash, so flags were quickly materialized. I don't accept the suggestion that the presence of flags behind the leftist candidates is indicative of their respect for said flag. It just means they choose not to repeat Hillary's error in allowing the populace to see their disdain fior the flag of out nation on public display.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2019, 05:45:15 PM »
I would say too many.

Both sides are really good at playing the victim card.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2019, 06:52:57 PM »
I would like to correct my post about Hillary and American flags. It wasn't a Clinton event -- it was day one of the Democratic National Convention where there were no American flags on the stage.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/07/26/facing-criticism-dnc-concedes-puts-u-s-flags-on-stage-for-day-2-of-convention/comment-page-1/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2019, 03:46:11 PM »
Probably because burning a rainbow flag would be similar to burning a cross, it is seen as a symbol of hate.

Burning the US Flag by an American Citizen is usually done as a protest to something the government has done. I'm not talking about radicals burning US Flags in other countries.

Burning the U.S. flag conveys hatred for America and Americans, no matter where you're doing it.*

*Obviously, that doesn't apply to flag retirement rituals.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2019, 04:47:30 PM »
Personally I believe that burning the US flag should be protected as free speech but there should be a few non-infringing restrictions.

A full environmental impact study must be conducted and reviewed by the EPA.
A specially trained and government certified fire watch must be posted.
If the use of volatile accelerants is planned a separate EPA clearance must be obtained.
A police safety squad must be used.
All of those must be completed and paid for in advance by the designated protestor before the protest event can be certified and a protest license issued.
And, the final requirement is that the flag to be burned must be tightly wrapped around the protestor before it is ignited.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2019, 05:09:25 PM »
So were they intending to fly the new, inclusive homosexual pride flag, or the old racist one?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2019, 05:15:45 PM »
Personally I believe that burning the US flag should be protected as free speech but there should be a few non-infringing restrictions.

If the use of volatile accelerants is planned a separate EPA clearance must be obtained.
All of those must be completed and paid for in advance by the designated protestor before the protest event can be certified and a protest license issued.

There are too many places where people have to do that just to cut down a tree on their own damn property, via regulations that most flag burners are big proponents of. What's good for the goose...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2019, 06:40:42 PM »
Both sides are really good at playing the victim card.

Yeah, but one side is the amateur, the other the professional 
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2019, 09:30:43 PM »

And, the final requirement is that the flag to be burned must be tightly wrapped around the protestor before it is ignited.
I bet more major cities have ordinances about starting fires on public streets.  I guess they don't apply if it is a flag.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2019, 08:18:55 AM »
I didn’t read the article.  LMK when the pride flag gets flown over the Iranian and Saudi embassies.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”