Author Topic: Reusing rectal sensors for fun and profit  (Read 1225 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Reusing rectal sensors for fun and profit
« on: June 13, 2019, 01:20:16 PM »
http://thesmokinggun.com/buster/doctor/medical-device-reused-105892

Actually, there is a flourishing industry of re-processing single-use medical devices and instruments, even though the manufacturers and in some cases the FDA have a frowny face about it. This doctor would have been absolutely fine from the legal/licensure perspective if he used a documented procedure of sterilizing the sensors before re-use and discarding them after so many uses.

And if anyone is curious, these sensors are used, primarily in women, to be able to measure the muscle strength of the rectal/pelvic area.  This is a necessary step before considering if surgery is needed for things like uterine or rectal prolapse or incontinence. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Reusing rectal sensors for fun and profit
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 01:22:57 PM »
I think they do this with colonoscopy equipment as well? The last time I took a buddy in for one they said his procedure was delayed because they were backlogged on cleaning the equipment from previous procedures that morning.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 02:00:15 PM »
I think they do this with colonoscopy equipment as well? The last time I took a buddy in for one they said his procedure was delayed because they were backlogged on cleaning the equipment from previous procedures that morning.

Colonoscopy equipment is extremely expensive (typically $ 22-45K per scope) and as such is a reusable medical device designed to be cleaned after each use.  The companies sell automated colonoscopy cleaning machines, in which you load the scope, press a button, and return later to a clean scope ready for use.  You can typically get a lot of years out of the scope, and they can be repaired as well.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 04:56:16 PM »
Colonoscopy equipment is extremely expensive (typically $ 22-45K per scope) and as such is a reusable medical device designed to be cleaned after each use.  The companies sell automated colonoscopy cleaning machines, in which you load the scope, press a button, and return later to a clean scope ready for use.  You can typically get a lot of years out of the scope, and they can be repaired as well.

Has the VA Healthcare System gotten that memo yet?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 06:00:54 PM »
https://vimeo.com/172951856

Well, someone had to do it.....
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 09:29:05 PM »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 09:38:40 PM »
Appropriate topic during America’s official month long celebration of "edited for inappropriate language".

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 06:35:56 PM by charby »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 10:55:23 PM »
My dad tried to buy his colonoscopy scope, my impression was that one was one shot and then they cleaned it up and sold it into the veterinary market.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 11:08:01 PM »
Appropriate topic during America’s official month long celebration of "edited for inappropriate language".

Noted.  I too,  am sick of rainbow everything month.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 06:36:12 PM by charby »
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 06:37:00 PM »
What do medical devices have anything to do with "Pride Month"?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 10:19:25 PM »

If you have to ask a rhetorical question after personally censoring the original post referencing butt stuff,  I can't help you.

I'll also note that thread drift is the official sport of APS, before you feel the need to rhetorically ask how it happened.

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 08:11:19 AM »

Everything has to do with Pride Month.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 08:54:10 AM »
Guys, while thread drift is expected, let's try and veer back to the OP so we don't have to move an informational medical topic to politics. Thanks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 10:23:36 AM »
Guys, while thread drift is expected, let's try and veer back to the OP so we don't have to move an informational medical topic to politics. Thanks.

Got it, no sneaking political topics in the back door  :laugh:

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 08:42:52 AM »

"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 10:49:41 PM »

Better explain that one to Charby, I think he's having trouble with the subtle humor of this thread  >:D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 11:31:39 PM »
Better explain that one to Charby, I think he's having trouble with the subtle humor of this thread  >:D

Humor or hate? What course are you dining on? Freedom for aome or freedom for all?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 03:00:11 AM »
I remember being told that it was none of mine, nor the .gov's business what people do in their bedroom.  Fine, do what you want.

Now those same people forcing everyone to have to have to look into their bedroom and "celebrate" what some/many/most people think are perversions.

They still have the same civil rights they had before and now they have the right to give lawyers lot of money to undo what could have been done with a simple power of attorney form or two.   Plus they demand that everyone accept their "lifestyle" as "normal", when it's not.

The Emperor(s) literally have no clothes 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2019, 08:53:16 AM »
Guys, while thread drift is expected, let's try and veer back to the OP so we don't have to move an informational medical topic to politics lock the thread. Thanks.

We would have far fewer problems on this forum if people would drive on instead of taking bait or trying to get the last word in. I tried my best to lightly moderate and keep the thread open. I'm disappointed.