Author Topic: Oberlin Gets Maximum Penalty  (Read 7799 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Oberlin Gets Maximum Penalty
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2019, 06:49:24 AM »
I live in the adjacent township,  and know the Gibsons well.(my waistline can witness to the awesomeness that is their donuts and fresh croissants.)  This is a huge win regardless of how the appeals play out.  I hope they get enough to retire,  the College ceasing business has hurt them bad.  Its almost pointless for them to go forward with the college actively hostile to them.

With the amount of the award, I'd hope they'd relocate to continue to serve the town and purposely leave the original location vacant with a sign indicating it was the original site of Gibsons for 100+ years, closed because of libel by the college and its students.

But they are probably more forgiving.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2019, 12:39:40 PM »
It would be ironically amusing if the Gibson's closed up their business and had someone turn it into a Dunkin' Donuts or Krispy Kreme donut emporium.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 12:43:46 PM »
It would be ironically amusing if the Gibson's closed up their business and had someone turn it into a Dunkin' Donuts or Krispy Kreme donut emporium.
Chik-fil-A
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2019, 03:03:26 PM »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 12:44:24 PM »
I have a sneaking hunch that any outfit which has been tainted / poisoned by any taint of conservatism would not do well in that area.

I like (and was going to suggest) the idea of turning the building and storefront into a permanent monument against dog-packing hyper liberalism, with names named and sins enumerated.

I hate dog packs, but I hate human packs even more.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2019, 01:54:43 PM »
I'm already hearing the bleating that the verdict was unfair because "there wasn't a single african-american on the jury"....

SMOD can't come soon enough.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2019, 03:58:38 PM »
I have a sneaking hunch that any outfit which has been tainted / poisoned by any taint of conservatism would not do well in that area.

I like (and was going to suggest) the idea of turning the building and storefront into a permanent monument against dog-packing hyper liberalism, with names named and sins enumerated.

I hate dog packs, but I hate human packs even more.
I think Chik-fil-a shows that isn't true.  If it is just conservatives keeping them busy, there are a whole lot more conservatives than I thought.  IMO, liberals talk about boycotts and such, but don't follow through all that much.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2019, 06:08:15 PM »

Oberlin College and Raimondo were not “held liable for the independent actions of their students.” Rather, the defendants were held liable for their own conduct in aiding and abetting the publication of libelous documents, interference with business, and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Let me repeat, it was the college’s and Raimondo’s own conduct that was at issue before the jury.

"Defendants"

After court smackdown, Oberlin College goes into CYA mode by issuing FAQ that’s total BS
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019/06/20/after-court-smackdown-oberlin-college-goes-into-cya-mode-by-issuing-faq-thats-total-bs/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2022, 05:41:47 PM »
But, but but but but....

THAT'S RACIST!

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2022, 05:20:00 AM »
My coffee table is racist.

From the comments:

knightnblu
9 hours ago

This is how the left runs over people. They think nothing of the truth, only how to best cancel their target. Nice to see the little guy win for a change.

Amen.  Let that message get out to the real world.  I don't think most people see that.

I was so happy to hear of this victory; moreso that the award has actually been disbursed.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2022, 07:47:58 AM »
Interestingly, I just saw an interview with the owners and their lawyer. They said that the students involved actually apologized, but it was the university and faculty that were doubling down on the doubling down. That's really telling to me, because usually it's the "adults" at a university that have to eventually try and calm down the students.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2022, 03:44:02 PM »
Interestingly, I just saw an interview with the owners and their lawyer. They said that the students involved actually apologized, but it was the university and faculty that were doubling down on the doubling down. That's really telling to me, because usually it's the "adults" at a university that have to eventually try and calm down the students.

Maybe that was before the radical students became the faculty, and started seeing themselves as commie revolutionary cadre, and nothing else.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2022, 05:38:39 PM »
I noticed what seemed to be a deliberate avoidance of the name of the former Vice President who did most of the flame-fanning:

Vice President and Dean of Students Meredith Raimondo

"Nothing worse than high-powered self-righteousness," Terry said self-righteously, but with no real power.

Terry, 230RN

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2022, 09:09:48 PM »
Ms. Raimondo is no longer associated with Oberlin:

https://oberlinreview.org/25680/news/former-dos-meredith-raimondo-leaves-oberlin/

Typical woke activist move -- set the place on fire and then unass the area of operations.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2022, 09:13:08 PM »
Ms. Raimondo is no longer associated with Oberlin:

https://oberlinreview.org/25680/news/former-dos-meredith-raimondo-leaves-oberlin/

Typical woke activist move -- set the place on fire and then unass the area of operations.

From the picture may want to put Ms. in quotes
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2022, 11:41:08 PM »
From the picture may want to put Ms. in quotes.

No, just have a "barf bag" handy.  [barf]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2022, 11:51:10 PM »
No, just have a "barf bag" handy.  [barf]

What, you didn't think Ms. Raimondo represents a vision of feminine pulchritude?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2022, 07:33:32 AM »
What, you didn't think Ms. Raimondo represents a vision of feminine pulchritude?
Even beer goggles won't help.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2022, 09:34:13 AM »
Watch it, folks... attacking a party based on physical characteristics.  High schoolish?

Yeah, I mentioned "former," Hawkmoon.  Funny how that link of yours  is so full of buzzwords.

From that link:
“I am really passionate about doing leadership work in the field of student affairs, because of my interest in cultivating holistic learning environments where students can thrive,”"

Translation:  "Cell."

“Oberlin is a very special place — at its best, the model for what an engaged learning community can be,” Raimondo wrote."

Translation: "Cell"

So she's moving to Oglethorpe University in Brookhaven, Georgia, north of Atlanta.

Look out Brookhaven.

Look out Atlanta.

Look out small businesses.  Lawyer up now. Install surveillance toys now.

SIDEBAR:
Amusing, from:

https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/06/punitive-damage-verdict-against-oberlin-college-was-like-a-seismic-wave-moving-quickly-through-the-courtroom/

"What was surprising in some regards was why the jury awarded such a high amount. The punitive damages law in Ohio requires “malice” to be at play with the defendants, meaning they had a “reckless disregard” for the truth. This was explained to the jury in great detail by the judge, and everyone in the courtroom was somewhat surprised that the jury came back with a verdict saying that, not only did Oberlin College libel and defame this small business and family, they did so in a manner that was intentional."

Terry, 230RN

REF (For amusement only):
https://www.gkgigs.com/list-of-blue-states-and-red-states/

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2023, 12:54:02 PM »
But wait, there's more
Oberlin suing 4 insurance companies for not covering the $37 million settlement

Oberlin College has sued four of its insurance providers to make them cover the multimillion-dollar judgment that Gibson's Bakery won against the school in 2019 over false claims of racism.

The wealthy liberal arts college in northern Ohio filed a suit in April against four insurance companies, saying they wrongfully refused 'to honor promises they made in their respective policies to protect' the school.

Oberlin seeks the money to cover the $36.6 million it paid out last year to Gibson's Bakery.

[popcorn]

Oberlin College in ANOTHER legal battle over defaming bakery: Woke school now sues insurance companies for refusing to cover $37 million it had to pay family business over false racism claims
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12385157/Oberlin-College-legal-battle-defaming-bakery-Woke-school-sues-insurance-false-racism-claims.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2023, 01:15:47 PM »
Seems to me that there would be exclusions in the policy regarding intentional bad actions on the part of the college or its employees.

I wonder if they're going to try to claim that no bad actions occurred, and that the insurance payout was an unjust levying of judgement based on racism and blah blah blah.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2023, 02:52:13 PM »
Seems to me that there would be exclusions in the policy regarding intentional bad actions on the part of the college or its employees.

I wonder if they're going to try to claim that no bad actions occurred, and that the insurance payout was an unjust levying of judgement based on racism and blah blah blah.
I hope Oberlin ends up on the hook for the insurance company's legal fees in these lawsuits as well.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2023, 03:04:26 PM »
Sounds like Oberlin didn't hire a woke insurance company.  Too bad.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2023, 08:36:48 PM »
Sounds like Oberlin didn't hire a woke insurance company.  Too bad.

LOL over that one.  You think all my hints about how stupid wokemanship is are taking effect?

...Annnnd, insurance companies are in the business of assessing probabilities and liabilities and are probably realistic enough to reject or at least soft-pedal wokemanship.

The excesses of  the "woke" population are probably important actuarial considerations.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 08:28:39 AM by 230RN »