Author Topic: Oberlin Gets Maximum Penalty  (Read 7723 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Oberlin Gets Maximum Penalty
« on: June 13, 2019, 06:31:21 PM »
I thought I saw this mentioned elsewhere on APS, but couldn't find it. In the case of Gibson Bakery vs Oberlin College, the jury awarded the maximum allowable punitive penalty, bringing the total judgement against Oberlin to $33 million. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of SJW racists.

I didn't know until I read about it at the link, but apparently the Gibson family would have settled for a written apology. They didn't sue until the university refused and doubled down.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019/06/13/wow-jury-awards-family-business-oberlin-students-tried-to-destroy-maximum-damages-totaling-33-million/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Oberlin Gets Maximum Penalty
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 06:42:10 PM »
I doubt the Gibson family will ever see a dime of it
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 06:53:30 PM »
After the compensatory award ($11 million), Oberlin's reps were complaining that the college is "cash poor"  ... until folks did some digging and found out that Oberlin has close to $900 million in endowments.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 08:17:09 PM »
Good for the Gibson’s.  Oberlin can suck it.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 08:25:26 PM »
Where’s the Simpsons “ha ha” guy?

Seems like America is waking up. Hope it’s not too late.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 11:35:07 PM »
According to reports I read, the Jury awarded $33M in punitive damages, in addition to thr $11M in compensatory, for a total of over $44M,  BUT, Ohio law limits the punitive in MOST circumstances so the judge is likely to lower that amount to a total of around $33M.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

The jury also decided that the Gibsons were to be awarded attorney's fees, paid by Oberlin. That's possibly another $10M.

So the final cost to Oberlin for slandering a local business as racist is, at minimum, $33M and could be as high as $55M.

Hubris. If they'd have studied the western canon, they might have recognized Nemesis coming soon after.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 02:36:15 AM »
The jury sent a clear message that the truth matters, and so do the reputations and lives of people targeted by false accusations, particularly when those false accusations are spread by powerful institutions.

High and noble words from the cited article. I shall sleep a little better this evening.

Terry

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 04:03:29 AM »
But, but ... students are like customers. They're always right.

Even when they're wrong.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 07:00:14 AM »
Well, that's a sub-bit of amusement for me... Oberlin and its student goon squad will probably get what they wanted after all: the closure of that restaurant.

I mean, like, would you keep a little business like that going after you pocket a couple of $mil?

Hey, Bimini, here I come.  What are beachfront condos near the volleyball courts going for nowadays?

Terry

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 06:59:33 AM by 230RN »

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 09:29:41 AM »
Good.

Too bad the college admins who did this won't have it come out of their pockets though.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 09:32:37 AM »
Good.

Too bad the college admins who did this won't have it come out of their pockets though.

The bad part appears to be that Oberlin administrators remains steadfast in their defense of the faculty and staff that actually pushed the students into protest mode, so they have learned nothing and may do this again, but at least one of their victims will be justly compensated.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 11:25:26 AM »
Good.

But assuming the penalty actually gets paid, if they continue to do things that puts Oberlin in liability, that college will eventually fire them or run out of money.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 11:33:01 AM »
Looks like they've been sanitizing their FB page. Shows 400 comments on their latest post but only one is currently viewable.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 02:10:20 PM »
Looks like they've been sanitizing their FB page. Shows 400 comments on their latest post but only one is currently viewable.

"They" being ...? Oberlin College? Gibson's Bakery? The Harlem Globetrotters?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 06:36:50 PM »
The bad part appears to be that Oberlin administrators remains steadfast in their defense of the faculty and staff that actually pushed the students into protest mode, so they have learned nothing and may do this again, but at least one of their victims will be justly compensated.

ISR

"Intransigent Self Righteousness."

I sure hope the jurors all have CCW permits.

Terry, 230RN

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 07:03:20 PM »
"They" being ...? Oberlin College? Gibson's Bakery? The Harlem Globetrotters?

Oberlin.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2019, 11:20:27 PM »
I live in the adjacent township,  and know the Gibsons well.(my waistline can witness to the awesomeness that is their donuts and fresh croissants.)  This is a huge win regardless of how the appeals play out.  I hope they get enough to retire,  the College ceasing business has hurt them bad.  Its almost pointless for them to go forward with the college actively hostile to them.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2019, 08:06:29 AM »
Hopefully the school has to shut down and sell its campus.

Preferably to a Christian organization that will turn it into a Bible College.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 11:47:35 AM »

Doubt it, its private, big foundation/endowment and a lot of famous people graduated/went there. I see the irony in it becoming a bible college, funny that Oberlin was formed by 2 Presbyterian professors.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 11:53:23 AM »
How many times has a big liberal organization ever backed down and admitted they were wrong?
Doubling down didn't work so lets triple down!

Before anyone says anything, yes I know that often applies to the right as well.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 12:39:05 PM »
Doubt it, its private, big foundation/endowment and a lot of famous people graduated/went there. I see the irony in it becoming a bible college, funny that Oberlin was formed by 2 Presbyterian professors.

The majority of our oldest educational institutions and hospitals were formed by Christians.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 12:47:36 PM »

Ironically, since that's how it started.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 06:32:19 PM »
What? Christians founding universities? Weird.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 06:40:44 PM »
What? Christians founding universities? Weird.

Do Jesuits count as Christian? ;)   :angel:
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 06:55:27 PM »
Do Jesuits count as Christian? ;)   :angel:

Only if they follow the teachings of Pope Buttigieg and Primate Kimmel.

(That's primate in both senses.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife