Author Topic: ATF agents searching for thousands of guns stolen from their facility  (Read 646 times)

MechAg94

• friend
ATF agents searching for thousands of guns stolen from their facility before they could be destroyed
https://amp.jsonline.com/amp/1425467001

Interesting story.  I am glad we have politicians looking to restrict or ban legal gun sales.  If we just had more gun control stuff like this wouldn't happen.   =D
The agents are searching for some of their own retired service weapons as well as guns from other federal law enforcement agencies, including the FBI and DEA.

All of the weapons had been sent to the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives' National Firearms and Ammunition Destruction Branch in Martinsburg, West Virginia, to be shredded, according to court documents and congressional letters.

A longtime guard at the ATF facility has admitted to carting off thousands of firearms, gun parts and ammunition and selling them over several years.

Christopher Yates, 52, a guard who worked as a contract employee for ATF for 16 years, was charged in federal court in West Virginia. He pleaded guilty in April to possession of a stolen gun and stealing government property.

Yates is set to be sentenced in August. He faces up to 10 years in prison on each count but is unlikely to get the maximum under federal sentencing guidelines.

The ATF has recovered more than 4,000 guns and parts that had been reported missing while Yates worked there, according to Yates' plea agreement.

Yates admitted to stealing at least 3,000 slides, a key part of a gun allowing it to fire, from Glock semiautomatic handguns. He also admitted to stealing dozens of guns, including at least four fully automatic machine guns, which are closely regulated by the ATF.

Sources familiar with the ATF's efforts say stolen guns and parts have been recovered across the country, in Mexico and the Caribbean, including at crime scenes.

Several investigations have been launched into what happened. 

The ATF has assigned a team to look into how Yates was able to brazenly steal the weapons and parts for years. They also are examining why a number of the guns were listed as being destroyed when they had not been.

Also investigating the case are the inspector general for both the Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security, along with at least one congressional committee. The agency reported the theft to both inspectors general.

"We continue to work closely with the Office of Inspector General to ensure full accountability in this review," Langwell wrote.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grampster

• friend
Those evil guns just snuck out of the building and ran off to Mexico and Central America.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Bob F.

• friend
More likely NY & CA.
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

MikeB

• friend
If this was an ATF facility and many of the guns or parts supposedly came from the FBI and DEA then I'll bet many were/are FA items. In the article they even say "He also admitted to stealing dozens of guns, including at least four fully automatic machine guns, which are closely regulated by the ATF." Just example number 8,329,538 of why we should trust government ...  :old:

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
If this was an ATF facility and many of the guns or parts supposedly came from the FBI and DEA then I'll bet many were/are FA items. In the article they even say "He also admitted to stealing dozens of guns, including at least four fully automatic machine guns, which are closely regulated by the ATF." Just example number 8,329,538 of why we should trust government ...  :old:

Is it wrong that I hoped they were classic FA's, and were lovingly buried in a PVC pipe somewhere....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

griz

• friend
So only the .gov should have guns because if the peons are allowed to own them it will fuel an underground market.  Is that right?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
They're the only ones professional enough
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 06:13:42 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

brimic

• friends
Do ATF agents have boating accidents also?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
They prefer “accidental” fires they roast children brimic
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!