Author Topic: Best valedictorian speech EVAR!  (Read 894 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Best valedictorian speech EVAR!
« on: June 14, 2019, 05:47:12 PM »
High school valedictorian blasts 'alcoholic' teacher and 'unavailable' counselor in Shocking Speech!
https://youtu.be/YWcY5WxDecI
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Best valedictorian speech EVAR!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 12:10:23 AM »
Glad she had the courage to speak up.  I hope they don't try to get back at her. 

Sounds like a wonderful school.  I am sure the school board and principals will tell you how shocked they are that anything like that would happen at their school. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 12:44:18 AM »
I had to turn it off. Regardless of her "courage" i calling out some less than stellar representatives of the teaching profession, the first minute or so clearly indicated that her speech was entirely inappropriate for a valedictory address. It's extremely disheartening to think THAT is what passes as a valedictorian today.

Sad.  =(
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 07:01:35 AM »
I have to agree with the above.  It sounded more like a Hollywood award acceptance speech, then a valedictorian speech.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 08:29:29 AM »
First, she may not have had much public speaking experience.  Most kids don't do that very much unless they participate in specific activities. 

Second, it doesn't sound like she had much help from teachers.  From what I remember hearing at my high school, the student was told to write a speech and the teacher edited it and that was it.  Very little guidance or help and that was a small school with decent teachers. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 11:49:38 AM »
I have to agree with the above.  It sounded more like a Hollywood award acceptance speech, then a valedictorian speech.

Actually, I think it was intentional. She didn't get up there to give a traditional speech in the first place. She got up there to blast her school. The first couple minutes are supposed to be misleading and needed to contrast with the second half.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 01:17:55 PM »
The first minute was all I could listen to before bailing out. She must have used Obama's speech writer -- it was all about her. That's NOT what a valedictory speech is supposed to be about. As valedictorian, she is standing up there as a representative of the entire class. "There's no 'I' in TEAM."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 01:28:24 PM »
It was a big "Eff Ewe" to the school for a few of their "bad apples". Was it warranted? Maybe, we don't have enough to go on. Is it nice to see the little guy get a dig in every once in a while? I think so. Could she have handled these issues better? Hell yeah! Did she try the high road already? Dunno. Will this hurt her in the job market? You can bet it will! Would you want her on your team knowing she could publicly vent about some internal issue(s)? I can argue either side more or less equally.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 01:52:57 PM »
The first minute was all I could listen to before bailing out. She must have used Obama's speech writer -- it was all about her. That's NOT what a valedictory speech is supposed to be about. As valedictorian, she is standing up there as a representative of the entire class. "There's no 'I' in TEAM."

Listen to the rest of it before you judge it. It very quickly (and viciously) becomes about the rest of the school and the reason behind it being about "I" becomes very apparent.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 11:51:58 AM »
"There's no 'I' in TEAM."
When a high school PE teacher threw that old saying in my face, I said "There's no 'I' in LOSE either, but there IS one 'I' in WIN."   

He was not pleased . . . especially by the laughter from the rest of the class.

He quit saying that.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 07:04:20 PM »
I skipped ahead to the latter half of the speech.  It really wasn't very long anyway.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 07:10:40 PM »
I don't care for speeches mostly.  I don't remember if I listened to the valedictorian speech at my high school graduation.  No one heard the salutatorian speech because that guy had never used the microphone before and didn't know you had to adjust it.  

I guess it is an important event to some, but I think high school graduation means less than maybe it used to.  It certainly doesn't guarantee the kids are educated.  Most kids are going on to some other education stop anyway.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 09:08:24 PM »
I don't care for speeches mostly.  I don't remember if I listened to the valedictorian speech at my high school graduation.  No one heard the salutatorian speech because that guy had never used the microphone before and didn't know you had to adjust it.  

I guess it is an important event to some, but I think high school graduation means less than maybe it used to.  It certainly doesn't guarantee the kids are educated.  Most kids are going on to some other education stop anyway.

IMHO, Valedictorian speeches are generally overrated. It's one of the smart kids, which means they probably weren't all that popular so their peers aren't listening to them anyway and they don't have the social depth to write something that's really specific to their class. The result is pretty cookie cutter, bland and usually awkward since the kid giving usually doesn't have the kind of personality that can hold a room.

Edit to add: I'm not dissing the smart kids when I say this. I was friends with a couple of the kids who were ultimately valedictorians at my HS. They were cool people, but they weren't popular for a reason and it seemed kind of cruel to me that the school made them give a *expletive deleted*ing speech to people who didn't appreciate them and whom they didn't really want to talk to in the first place.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 09:30:19 PM »
IMHO, Valedictorian speeches are generally overrated. It's one of the smart kids, which means they probably weren't all that popular so their peers aren't listening to them anyway and they don't have the social depth to write something that's really specific to their class. The result is pretty cookie cutter, bland and usually awkward since the kid giving usually doesn't have the kind of personality that can hold a room.

You nailed that. When I graduated high school, the salutatorian (the #2 on the grades hit parade) was a girl in the honors/advanced placement program whose father was a Yale professor (IIRC) and who was really REALLY bright. She gave a very good speech. Our valedictorian? She took all "business" classes -- typing, stenography, and stuff like that -- and what was then called "home economics" (basically, cooking and cleaning). She had the personality of a wet sponge, an IQ to match, and her valedictory speech was cringeworthy.