Author Topic: Plastic Bag Shaming  (Read 3308 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Plastic Bag Shaming
« on: June 15, 2019, 01:38:05 PM »
In one way I actually thought this was kind of hilarious. The part that kills it for me is as mentioned in the comments, it's all about lefty shaming and scolding and nagging. Can you *expletive deleted*ing leave me alone and let me use whatever bag I want?

Before I left CA, wherever there wasn't an outright ban on plastic bags, you got charged for using them. I have to say that I got accustomed to a reusable bag. I had a couple of nice big and heavy duty ones, so I could get all my stuff in one or two bags. On the other hand, once in a while  I like to get plastic bags because  I reuse/repurpose them for all kinds of stuff.

In my part of Idaho, NOBODY uses reusable bags. They might over on the hipster Boise side, but on my side of the valley,  I don't think I've seen a single person with a reusable bag in any store. Now I have way too many plastic bags because the clerks here go to the opposite extreme, and practically use one bag per item when they bag stuff, so I have bags coming out of my ears.  :laugh:

Anyway, again, I found the concept funny, but at the same time naggy. I am pro-choice for shopping bags.  :laugh:

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2019/06/15/these-are-hilarious-supermarkets-attempt-to-embarrass-shoppers-who-didnt-bring-reusable-bags-could-backfire/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Plastic Bag Shaming
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 01:46:53 PM »
We have cloth/canvas reusable bags but most everyone here uses those, thin, plastic, bags. We like the plastic bags because we go through one a day scooping the cat box. Scoop, tie, chunk in the dippy dumpster! (The complex here uses big dumpsters for our trash)
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 02:01:14 PM »
I use the grocery bags for cleaning up after Seren.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 02:01:49 PM »
I've debated keeping reusable shopping bags in the car, especially now that I've discovered the wonders of Costco and keep forgetting that they don't do bags there.

Around here, it's a thing but we've got enough rednecks that plastic bags are still predominate and the things are handy for animal messes, so I would prefer they stay in use. I'm in the "why not both?" camp. Even if I start using the reusable shopping bags, I would rather my raw meats go in a disposable bag.

As far as the bag shaming thing, BRING IT ON!!  :rofl: Those are great!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 02:14:47 PM »
We use the plastic bags as liners for the smaller waste baskets.  We have 6 of them scattered around in various rooms.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 04:21:52 PM »
I use the Walmart and Safeway plastic bags to scoop up after the dog as we walk.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 04:30:24 PM »
I can't stand grocery store plastic bags.  They are too thin and weak to be of any real use and they tear so easy.  I'd rather use quality cloth bags for shopping and proper trash bags for can liners.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 07:30:58 PM »
I use both regularly. I have a large cloth and a smaller one designed for cold stuff with a foil type liner. Also a large soft cooler bag. When I do a large shopping trip I usually use the reusable ones. Quick need a few things or decide to buy more than planned I have no issues with accepting the thin disposable bags that I reuse like others as trashcan liners, dog poo picker uppers, egg collecting or whatever else.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 07:34:39 PM »
and a smaller one designed for cold stuff with a foil type liner.

I've gotta get one of those to keep in the car. My distance for most of my shopping has doubled since I moved and it's warming up here. I got popsicles last week and they were about mushy by the time I got home.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 08:00:54 PM »
Thankfully most grocery stores here offer paper sacks. I get more mileage reusing those then I do from plastic sacks. Only place I use reusable bags is Aldi.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 08:03:12 PM »
I can't stand grocery store plastic bags.  They are too thin and weak to be of any real use and they tear so easy.  I'd rather use quality cloth bags for shopping and proper trash bags for can liners.

I double bag for cat box and dog poo clean up. Still cheaper than buying something.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 08:07:11 PM »
Thankfully most grocery stores here offer paper sacks. I get more mileage reusing those then I do from plastic sacks. Only place I use reusable bags is Aldi.

I miss paper bags. It's rare that I find a store that uses them anymore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 08:10:02 PM »
I ask the sacker to keep the bags light (and milk in a sack) so I can distribute the weight for two trips up the stairs.  I don't know what I'll do if they force me to go to personal sacks.  Well, nothing, I guess, except vote republican twice in November.

There's a natural food store here I sometimes shop at, but the first time I was amazed that there were no, zero, null, nada bags.  I was at a loss until I realized they had great big bins full of cardboard boxes of every which size which their products come in, so I toodled my cart over there and filled two boxes with stuff and brought it home that way.

I'm all for saving natural resouces, of course, but sometimes these greenies start to get to me.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 08:17:37 PM »

Most times I have to ask for them. Only one grocery chain asks "paper or plastic". Same chain also has a recycling box as you walk in to deposit old plastic sacks that are over accumulated at home.

Uranus is a gas giant.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2019, 08:22:34 PM »

I actually don't. I thought I did and then I got some and they just weren't as great as I remember them. I actually like the plastic better for most things now. No soggy bottom issues from cold items, the handles don't rip off on heavy bags and you can tie handles on the plastic bags so stuff doesn't fall over and roll around loose in the trunk.

Plus, I have less that I can reuse them for.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 08:05:59 AM »
It always seemed to me that paper sacks were the reason plastic sacks were invented.

Too much risk of paper sacks failing with frozen foods and other moistrous things inside.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2019, 08:23:16 AM »

Same here, I’ll request or use paper over plastic every time.

Plastic gets used strategically, meats and frozen items generally.

I have a bunch of reusable bags and I remember to grab them about a quarter of the time at best.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2019, 08:51:05 AM »
It always seemed to me that paper sacks were the reason plastic sacks were invented.

Too much risk of paper sacks failing with frozen foods and other moistrous things inside.

That may have been one reason, but I recall most of the hype was that paper bags killed trees and Mother Earth. I recall when I was a young buck, in CA at least, for several years after the proto-SJWs went on their anti-paper rage, grocery stores would ask "Paper or plastic?" Then several years later they went to "plastic only" for the environment. In recent years of course we have reversed, and while "reusable" is the word of the day, the enviros would say, "paper over plastic" when reusable isn't an option.

As far as bags failing, both paper and plastic will, for different reasons, especially the thinner and cheaper bags of both materials. It used to be that the grocery checker would know when to double bag, but not so anymore. Though they are actually good about it at my little podunk family owned local grocery store, and even bag stuff in freezer bags if needed before putting it in the regular plastic bags.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 03:25:04 PM »
For grocery trips I use large mail totes (not US mail ones, though.  Ones labeled Airborne Express) .  Frozen in one tote, 'fridge items in another, and dry goods by location in the kitchen in two other totes.  Nice and organized. easy to load into the car, and they don't fall over when you go around a corner.

This is the exact thing and color:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 05:46:25 PM »

Do you remember the frozen/cold food bags? It was a double bag with the inside bag being waxed paper.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 07:34:01 PM »
I used plastic bags for the small trash cans in the house as well as to haul drinks or lunch to work.  My mother gives me leftovers to take with me when I visit.  Lots of uses.  IMO, the plastic bags are better than paper since I have better handles to carry stuff.  Both are worthless if part of them rip or tear. 

I used to shop at Target occasionally to get some of their plastic bags.  They use a larger, stronger bag that reuses very well. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 08:07:02 PM »

IMO, the plastic bags are better than paper since I have better handles to carry stuff.

I forgot to mention that in terms of carrying stuff upstairs.

Terry

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 08:29:28 PM »
Here ya go:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2019, 07:48:06 AM »
Heard on the news this morning that Frederick County, Maryland, is looking at enacting a complete ban on single use plastic bags.

The report mentioned that hospitals are concerned.

The report also mentioned alternate uses for the plastic grocery bags, including pet waste disposal.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2019, 08:46:48 AM »
That may have been one reason, but I recall most of the hype was that paper bags killed trees and Mother Earth. I recall when I was a young buck, in CA at least, for several years after the proto-SJWs went on their anti-paper rage, grocery stores would ask "Paper or plastic?" Then several years later they went to "plastic only" for the environment. In recent years of course we have reversed, and while "reusable" is the word of the day, the enviros would say, "paper over plastic" when reusable isn't an option.

This. Plastic is evil is the current trend.

If only the US was the actual country creating a problem, https://bigthink.com/strange-maps/these-10-rivers-carry-95-of-all-plastic-into-the-ocean?xrs=RebelMouse_fb&ts=1538773082&fbclid=IwAR1YfD6xNrr-7vRp8n1Ju868tnIiBnvn1jRtoiuncapU3fC5OVdwt95lj5g
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic