Author Topic: Just Shoot me  (Read 1436 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Just Shoot me
« on: June 15, 2019, 09:45:03 PM »
NO NO NO NO!

Commander Keen — Official E3 Announce Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtQjGPfkEe8
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Just Shoot me
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 10:36:25 PM »
That was nothing like Just Shoot Me. I actually think it was worse.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 04:16:50 PM »
Had to look this up. Never heard of it before.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 04:29:03 PM »
I assumed many here may have been familiar with Commander Keen
For those who don't know, Commander Keen was a amazingly fun PC game back in the early 90s that many gamers, including me, of the period have fond memories of
Here's Wiki! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commander_Keen

Looks like Bethesda purchased the rights to it and first impressions so far is that they're butchering everything that made it so charming.  

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 06:56:41 PM »
I assumed many here may have been familiar with Commander Keen

Never assume.

I had never heard of Commander Keen, so I had no idea what you were ranting about.

Of course, the fact I never heard of something should not be taken as exemplary of the rest of the world's population.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 12:16:47 AM »
blarg!
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 12:42:14 AM »
Also, given that this is APS, you might want to choose your subject text more carefully.  Someone might interpret it as a directive.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 05:30:58 AM »
Also, given that this is APS, you might want to choose your subject text more carefully.  Someone might interpret it as a directive.

You mean it isn't?  Darn.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 07:40:05 AM »
"I had never heard of Commander Keen, so I had no idea what you were ranting about."

Mega dittos. Had to look it up on the interwebs.

Now had you said Duke Nukem...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 08:00:05 AM »
I remember playing the original Commander Keen. Well, actually I'd forgotten about it until the OP reminded me. :)

I need to add it to my DOSbox folder and play it again for the nostalgia.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 08:56:52 AM »
I was more into "Space Quest" and "Leisure Suit Larry" from Sierra On-Line. the 3D games made me motion sick!  :facepalm:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 09:06:00 AM »
"Leisure Suit Larry"

Ha! I've not thought about that in years!

Some of my all-time favorite computer games were the old Infocom text games -- Zork, Zork II, Planetfall, Leather Goddesses of Phobos and others...

I still occasionally play online versions of those games.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 09:07:10 AM »
Leisure Suit Larry
Peppermint or spearmint? 
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 09:09:42 AM »
Been so long since I played (think 8088 w/Amber Monochrome) that I have forgotten all the pitfalls!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 09:11:37 AM »
I recall the first game that really sold me on where computer-based gaming could go was Wing Commander. The integration of "shoot 'em up" and storyline (including alternative storylines depending on how you did) just had me amazed at the time. I actually have it on DOSbox and still play it from time to time, including the use of an old-fashioned joystick controller.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 09:15:20 AM »
The first game I fell in love was Starflight.
Played it on my Franklin PC8000 8088 PC
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 09:18:44 AM »
Been so long since I played (think 8088 w/Amber Monochrome) that I have forgotten all the pitfalls!

The Peppermint or spearmint question was when Larry was buying condoms and the clerk asked him a series of questions  
Like what color, ribbed or smooth and so on
The last question was "Pepper or Spearmint?"
I about fell off the chair
This was in the original Leisure Suit Larr release. Not sure if it was in the later remakes they did.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 09:31:32 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 09:20:19 AM »
I still have my Dad's old Sony 8088 clone in the basement. Last time I checked it still worked.

Somewhere I also have the floppy disks for The Ancient Art of War at Sea.

That was a LOT of fun to play.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 09:24:13 AM »
I still have my Dad's old Sony 8088 clone in the basement. Last time I checked it still worked.

Somewhere I also have the floppy disks for The Ancient Art of War at Sea.

That was a LOT of fun to play.

I played that to death
I have been hoping Stream picks that up as since I long ago lost the box and disks. Had the first one as well, Ancient Art of War.
The manuals they came with were actual good quality books
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 09:26:16 AM »
Just Shoot me in The Roundtable

Snicker!  :rofl:
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 09:27:27 AM »
Also, given that this is APS, you might want to choose your subject text more carefully.  Someone might interpret it as a directive.

I seen many of the posts on this site, if it hasn't happened already after some of those I think I'm safe.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 09:28:35 AM »
Okay, if we're playing the "who's the oldest video game codger" game, Hunt the Wumpus on a printer role terminal in High School (we got our first actual video monitor - one (1) to be shared by all computer classes my Junior year) which you had to first load via punchcard.  =D

I also had a Timex Sinclair (my first computer) which I played chess on after loading the game via cassette tape, which took like ten minutes.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 09:29:14 AM »
The first few Leisure Suit Larry games were a hoot! Even the wife got a kick out of watching me play them.

DON'T FLUSH!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2019, 09:30:18 AM »
Okay, if we're playing the "who's the oldest video game codger" game, Hunt the Wumpus on a printer role terminal in High School (we got our first actual video monitor - one (1) to be shared by all computer classes my Junior year) which you had to first load via punchcard.  =D

I also had a Timex Sinclair (my first computer) which I played chess on after loading the game via cassette tape, which took like ten minutes.

How about on a Dec Vax mini
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2019, 09:38:13 AM »
Ren and Stimpy, oh pleez pleez pleez...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB