Author Topic: Oregon Governor Threatens Republican Reps with State Police  (Read 1496 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I actually had no idea that OR now has a supermajority of dems in their legislature. Apparently that supermajority is ramming through every commie pinko thing you can think of. From the article, the Rs apparently have no recourse to stop them, other than at this point walking out of sessions. The Governor is saying she will have the state police physically drag them back to the capitol so she can push her agenda through. All the Rs appear to be from rural areas.

I feel bad for non-commies in Oregon. It seems the state is driven more by Portland alone than CA is by several of its larger cities. CA got a supermajority a while back (don't know if they still have it), but that was certainly a big impetus for me to hurry up and move because of all the whack stuff they were ramming through with no one to stop them, or even slow them down.

https://www.nhregister.com/news/article/Oregon-governor-says-she-ll-use-police-if-GOP-14019646.php

Don't know why this was carried in a CT newspaper, but that's how it popped up in my newsfeed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Oregon Governor Threatens Republican Reps with State Police
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 10:27:04 PM »
Do any of the R's have a fortified compound where they could all gather?  An armed standoff would be very bad optics for everybody involved but especially the governor.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 10:34:36 PM »
Do any of the R's have a fortified compound where they could all gather?  An armed standoff would be very bad optics for everybody involved but especially the governor.

I hear the Malheur Wildlife Refuge is a good place for a standoff.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 10:37:22 PM »
I hear the Malheur Wildlife Refuge is a good place for a standoff.  =D

I was thinking more of an actual castle with battlements.
"It's good, though..."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 11:09:24 PM »
In fairness, Walker threatened similar when the D's walked out in Wisconsin a few years ago.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 11:43:36 PM »
Iowa R's control everything, everything pushed through is 99% partisan.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 11:56:58 PM »
Back in 2009, Texas democrats fled to Oklahoma to deny a quorum in the state legislature and prevent a vote on redistricting.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 12:02:13 AM »
Back in 2009, Texas democrats fled to Oklahoma to deny a quorum in the state legislature and prevent a vote on redistricting.

Oklahoma?  They must have been desperate.  ;)  But that's a good idea; just go out of state, like maybe to Washington or Idaho.  Not as dramatic as an armed standoff, but a lot safer.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 09:02:12 AM »
Iowa R's control everything, everything pushed through is 99% partisan.

There's nothing wrong with a supermajority of either party as long as it is at least somewhat geographically distributed. Even in CA, you can see that most counties/congressional districts run blue to purple. The OR example though, appears to run blood red in the Portland area, and blue in most other areas.

I guess WA is similar.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 05:02:00 PM »
In fairness, Walker threatened similar when the D's walked out in Wisconsin a few years ago.

It wasn't Scott Walker though, and it wasn't a threat, it was carried out.
The WI constitution allows for the legislature to enforce their own rules.
The (R) senate did use the State police to find democratic senators who were absconding from a Senate budget session where attendance was mandatory.

The police state tactics in WI go completely to the dems, where a few DAs and a few judges severely abused the civil rights of several citizens for merely supporting Scott Walker.
http://www.maciverinstitute.com/2018/10/five-years-ago-today-john-doe-raids-wisconsin/

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 05:11:36 PM »
If the R's are not in Oregon, the Oregon State PoPo has no authority to arrest them. 

When that happened in Texas, I thought the D's fled to a resort in New Mexico.  I think all the Texas Rangers did was track them down.  It was a special session and Perry just kept calling special sessions until they got it done.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 05:12:45 PM »
There's nothing wrong with a supermajority of either party as long as it is at least somewhat geographically distributed. Even in CA, you can see that most counties/congressional districts run blue to purple. The OR example though, appears to run blood red in the Portland area, and blue in most other areas.

I guess WA is similar.

PAC and Donors are the problem we have in Iowa right now. Public opinion openly requests the GOP controlled house, senate and governor to vote one way, they vote differently. Unfortunately the state is kind of held hostage at the moment. The Iowa population has been a pink/purple state for many years being fairly moderate in most things, but the last dozen years has been weird on how the state government has changed.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 05:56:58 PM »
A Republican senator is alleged to have said "If you send them, make sure they are bachelors and are heavily armed." :rofl: [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 02:44:16 PM »
https://idahonews.com/news/nation-world/oregon-senate-session-canceled-after-militia-threats

The "threat" is that militia groups might show up at the state capitol.  Sounds like someone is overreacting.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 03:22:19 PM »
So I clicked through a couple links to find actual quotes instead of grandstanding by the democrats that "The Republicans threatened VIOLENCE!!!!!" [pearl clutching]

Turns out, according to Oregon Live, State Senator Brian Boquist did indeed say the quote mentioned upthread.

The governor’s hint that she would consider sending troopers in the event of a second walkout triggered an aggressive response from Boquist, which was captured by a KGW news team at the Capitol.

“This is what I told the superintendent,” Boquist said, referring to OSP Superintendent Travis Hampton. “Send bachelors and come heavily armed. I’m not going to be a political prisoner in the state of Oregon. It’s just that simple.”

Which made me chuckle a little, but the best quote is later in the article:

In an email to The Oregonian/OregonLive Wednesday afternoon, Boquist stuck with his earlier statement and rejected a reporter’s characterization of his threat to troopers as “thinly veiled.”

“Nothing thinly veiled,” Boquist wrote. “I have been in political coup attempts. I have been held hostage overseas. I have been jailed politically overseas … Not going to be arrested as a political prisoner in Oregon period.”

=D =D  I think I kinda like this guy.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 04:13:47 PM »
https://idahonews.com/news/nation-world/oregon-senate-session-canceled-after-militia-threats

The "threat" is that militia groups might show up at the state capitol.  Sounds like someone is overreacting.

Or a false flag operation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design