Author Topic: Woman under arrest for giving husband's guns to police  (Read 1162 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Woman under arrest for giving husband's guns to police
« on: June 25, 2019, 10:11:05 AM »
https://www.apnews.com/9c1f0c32a4bf44278aadcb0175aa8a0c

In Florida, of course.  I understand her concern, and I would even perhaps applaud her if she did this from the home they shared.  But the husband had a separate apartment, and she entered without permission (with a key), took his guns and handed them over to police.  In my view, that is where she crossed the line, and I think she is appropriately being charged with burglary.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Woman under arrest for giving husband's guns to police
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 10:21:07 AM »
I have to agree with you.

According to her arrest report, she said she entered her husband’s apartment through a locked door without his permission and took the guns to a police station.

Sounds like your typical residential burglary to me. Of course there will lots of noise and smoke blowing and she will eventually be charged with a simple trespass and have the charges dismissed.  =|

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 10:33:39 AM »
She might be in real trouble on this one.  If it comes out that the sheriff or PD was working on the appropriate warrant based on the DVRO and she jumped the gun (heh) to commit burglary, then it's unlikely law enforcement will be lenient.  Especially since, from the story, the guy was in jail at the time, so she had time to let the popo do their thing.

Also, she chose to do this in Polk County FL.  you can DuckDuckGo Sheriff Grady Judd for anecdotes, but the bottom line is he's unlikely to overlook vigilantism.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 10:34:46 AM »
I get the feeling the media is going to turn her into a David Hogg for Red Flag laws.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 11:34:49 AM »
From what I can glean, it boils down to a couple of high-maintenance, reactionary, my-way types with no coping skills who are in a volatile relationship. I'd prefer neither of them in my sphere of friends.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 05:02:45 PM »
It would be interesting to see what would happen if, instead, the husband had stolen the wife's guns.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife